Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

this months purchase

For discussion of the practicalities of setting up and operating income-portfolios which follow the HYP Group Guidelines. READ Guidelines before posting
Forum rules
Tight HYP discussions only please - OT please discuss in strategies
kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

this months purchase

Postby kempiejon » January 16th, 2017, 10:10 am

Greene King is offering me about 10% more yield this week than my first purchases last July, it's one of my smaller holdings so well up the HYPTUSS list and 4.6% is above my portfolio average. SSE has slipped a bit below median weight and although well down on the TUSS rankings I'm not a slavish follower of the numbers, I do like the 5.7% forecast yield from what I hope is a fairly reliable dividend payer, with a policy to peg increases to RPI for the next 3 years.

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: this months purchase

Postby monabri » January 16th, 2017, 4:49 pm

GNK is on my "add" list....Just need to wait for some divvies to come in. For me it would be new sector.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » January 16th, 2017, 6:48 pm

monabri wrote:GNK is on my "add" list....Just need to wait for some divvies to come in. For me it would be new sector.

GNK - travel and leisure, I have Dieago, in a different sector - Beverages - but I think similar, EasyJet is described as the same sector, doesn't seem to me that similar. Britivic I looked at some months ago prompted by comments on boards but not for me. Some years back I held Britivic, profit harvested to swap into the ISA. Next up looks like Imperial Brands and Pennon.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 16th, 2017, 8:02 pm

I notice Pennon dropped today - it's been slowly coming back. I do intend to buy the "other half unit" when some cash I'm expecting comes in. I just hope the price doesn't sail back up before then.

Arb.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » January 16th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Arborbridge wrote:I notice Pennon dropped today - it's been slowly coming back. I do intend to buy the "other half unit" when some cash I'm expecting comes in. I just hope the price doesn't sail back up before then.
Arb.

Credit Suisse downgraded them 3 days ago to 'underperform' from 'neutral' and lowered the price target from 800p to 680p, which at least partly explains the drop.

cheers
Spiderbill

mike
Lemon Slice

Postby mike » January 16th, 2017, 9:46 pm

spiderbill wrote:Credit Suisse downgraded them 3 days ago to 'underperform' from 'neutral' and lowered the price target from 800p to 680p, which at least partly explains the drop.

Credit Suisse do seem to have a downer on PNN, while HSBC & Deutsche Bank seem to like them.

http://www.digitallook.com/equity/Pennon_Group/broker-views

I topped up on the Credit Suisse downgrade

Mike

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » January 17th, 2017, 2:28 am

kempiejon wrote:Greene King is offering me about 10% more yield this week than my first purchases last July, it's one of my smaller holdings so well up the HYPTUSS list and 4.6% is above my portfolio average. SSE has slipped a bit below median weight and although well down on the TUSS rankings I'm not a slavish follower of the numbers, I do like the 5.7% forecast yield from what I hope is a fairly reliable dividend payer, with a policy to peg increases to RPI for the next 3 years.

I'm sniffing around Geene KIng myself, to sit alongside my DGE holdings. Similar but not the same. Not in a rush to buy just yet, but one for the future maybe.

Ian.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 18th, 2017, 6:50 pm

idpickering wrote:I'm sniffing around Geene KIng myself, to sit alongside my DGE holdings. Similar but not the same.

Just to spell out the differences: Greene King has substantial property assets, and what are basically mortgage debts to go with them - and like all or most other companies with significant UK-based property assets, its price dropped in the aftermath of the Brexit vote.

Also, a substantial amount of its business is essentially restaurants / pub meals - Diageo is a much 'purer' booze company. Which I believe explains the official sector difference - it's substantial enough to put Greene King at the "leisure" end of the Travel & Leisure sector rather than in Beverages.

Gengulphus

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » January 19th, 2017, 8:24 am

spiderbill wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I notice Pennon dropped today - it's been slowly coming back. I do intend to buy the "other half unit" when some cash I'm expecting comes in. I just hope the price doesn't sail back up before then.
Arb.

Credit Suisse downgraded them 3 days ago to 'underperform' from 'neutral' and lowered the price target from 800p to 680p, which at least partly explains the drop.

cheers
Spiderbill

So that explains why they were cheaper than expected when I topped them up on the 17th. I'd set up the buy via Halifax the week previously using one of their regular investment days and got a few more than I expected when the buy went through - I'm not complaining.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 19th, 2017, 8:34 am

spiderbill wrote:Credit Suisse downgraded them 3 days ago to 'underperform' from 'neutral' and lowered the price target from 800p to 680p, which at least partly explains the drop.

Bit of a novice question, but here goes. What does a target price mean? Or more specifically over what time frame is the target set? Is it the price a bank thinks the shares should be now or where they will tend towards over time, or something else?

Terry.

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » January 19th, 2017, 8:41 am

Wizard wrote:

Bit of a novice question, but here goes. What does a target price mean? Or more specifically over what time frame is the target set? Is it the price a bank thinks the shares should be now or where they will tend towards over time, or something else?

Terry.

A quick google gives Investopedia Target Price. Seems to me to be an accurate explanation.

Raptor.

Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Wizard » January 19th, 2017, 8:57 am

Raptor wrote:
Wizard wrote:

Terry.

A quick google gives Investopedia Target Price. Seems to me to be an accurate explanation.

Raptor.

Thanks Raptor. I do find it confusing that a bank can give a target price well below the current price but categorise the share as neutral. A current example of this being ISAT.

Terry.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » January 19th, 2017, 3:02 pm

There is a summary of the various broker recommendations on Pennon here:

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-searc ... _forecasts

Research here:

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-searc ... e-research

I was contemplating adding PNN to my portfolio but then decided against it, after reading the latest reviews.

Return to “HYP Practical (See Group Guidelines)”