Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Adverts on TLF

Formerly "Lemon Fool - Improve the Recipe" repurposed as Room 102 (see above).
bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Adverts on TLF

Postby bluedonkey » March 31st, 2024, 10:03 am

The adverts I get on TLF can be surprising. There are a couple of advertisers that use pictures of scantily clad women, I think they are advertising clothes but I'm not sure. It just seems a surprising choice for the algorithm as I imagine that a large majority of the users of TLF are male. Whilst enjoying the images, I'm puzzled as to the logic. And no, I haven't been visisting any "adult" sites that might have influenced the algorithm!

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Adverts on TLF

Postby moorfield » March 31st, 2024, 10:20 am

bluedonkey wrote:The adverts I get on TLF can be surprising. There are a couple of advertisers that use pictures of scantily clad women, I think they are advertising clothes but I'm not sure. It just seems a surprising choice for the algorithm as I imagine that a large majority of the users of TLF are male. Whilst enjoying the images, I'm puzzled as to the logic. And no, I haven't been visisting any "adult" sites that might have influenced the algorithm!

Ditto. Mostly Etsy I think, I see the "Wifey For Lifey" swimsuit a lot which is just so chav. I mean why would anyone??

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 31st, 2024, 10:24 am

bluedonkey wrote:There are a couple of advertisers that use pictures of scantily clad women, I think they are advertising clothes but I'm not sure. It just seems a surprising choice for the algorithm as I imagine that a large majority of the users of TLF are male.
Maybe, on balance, scantily clad women still appeal to males - causing some to click on the ad? C.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 31st, 2024, 10:33 am

I raised this one a few weeks ago in a PM to Clariman and Stooz, and received a most gracious and helpful reply. (Thanks, both. :D )

Really rather a lot of not-safe-for-wife-and-family ads in there: the F***-Off T-shirts were pretty nasty, but nothing compared with the dayglo latex bondage gear. (Eek!)

Temu and Etsy were the worst offenders, and although a few of the dodgy types are still turning up on Etsy, it's quite a relief that Temu hasnt been around for a few days now. Of course, Temu have had other problems recently, what with allegations that they're using forced labour in China, and they had some ads banned last year for sexualising children, so maybe Google ads have put them on hold?

If so, long may it last. Here's hoping!

BJ

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 31st, 2024, 2:27 pm

I thought that the ads chosen by Google are based on your personal history of searching, and sites previously visited.

So if you are seeing a lot of ads for a certain product then that is the result of you having previously shown interest in that type of product.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 31st, 2024, 5:15 pm

Lootman wrote:I thought that the ads chosen by Google are based on your personal history of searching, and sites previously visited.

So if you are seeing a lot of ads for a certain product then that is the result of you having previously shown interest in that type of product.

An entertaining fantasy, I'm sure, but as others have already said, there isn't any such correlation. (Inthis case.) I mean, do you think I'd really be complaining in public about latex gear if I'd been a fan? :lol:

BJ

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 31st, 2024, 5:39 pm

bungeejumper wrote:I mean, do you think I'd really be complaining in public about latex gear if I'd been a fan? :lol:
Could be some kind of elaborate double bluff? C.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 31st, 2024, 6:08 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
Lootman wrote:I thought that the ads chosen by Google are based on your personal history of searching, and sites previously visited.

An entertaining fantasy, I'm sure, but as others have already said, there isn't any such correlation. (Inthis case.) I mean, do you think I'd really be complaining in public about latex gear if I'd been a fan? :lol:

BJ

Says the poster called bungeejumper - https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSt39ZmftFnQqVWJR7vWapLaKYh0jqmf6ydiIO2zC9OmzpzrZM4e1xG9aYf3T2Ub_t72DYN3BCk7m52sTPAq8K216wF1KVfRcq05wRZx7faAtxw7UIWOFeIHA&usqp=CAc :roll:

T7

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 31st, 2024, 7:34 pm

bungeejumper wrote:

An entertaining fantasy, I'm sure, but as others have already said, there isn't any such correlation. (In this case.) I mean, do you think I'd really be complaining in public about latex gear if I'd been a fan? :lol:

Google is certainly capable of doing that, and a good part of the criticism of Google is how much it knows about you from your online history. Just the other day I was looking at some hotels and then ads about hotels kept popping up as I navigated various other sites.

But yes, nothing in your TLF history indicates to me a consuming passion for latex, leather, rubber or PVC. :D

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » March 31st, 2024, 8:10 pm

It's probably Google using all those AI chips from Nvidia to know what we're thinking! Clear your mind of impure thoughts :lol: don't think you can't get in trouble for going on here! Shares, Investment and Personal Finance, says "old dudes" to me!!

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » March 31st, 2024, 9:30 pm

Lootman wrote:But yes, nothing in your TLF history indicates to me a consuming passion for latex, leather, rubber or PVC. :D
So what's a bungee made of eh? Answer me that! ;)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 1st, 2024, 1:00 am

csearle wrote:
Lootman wrote:But yes, nothing in your TLF history indicates to me a consuming passion for latex, leather, rubber or PVC. :D
So what's a bungee made of eh? Answer me that! ;)

And how many does it take to knit one jumper?

Return to “Room 102 - Site Issues, Complaints & General Chat”