Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Accented broadcasting

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers

Do you prefer national broadcasters to speak in standard English or accented English?

I have a regional accent but prefer standard English
28%
I have no regional accent and prefer standard English
24%
I have a regional accent and prefer accented English
No votes
I have no regional accent but prefer accented English
2%
I really couldn't give a damn, provided I can understand what they're saying
41%
Other (please explain)
5%

Total votes: 58

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Accented broadcasting

Postby Mike4 » April 15th, 2024, 11:11 am

stevensfo wrote:They were incredibly powerful, which was one of the reasons why the Pope gave his blessing to their invasion on probably the only date that every schoolboy remembers.

Steve

Ah yes, you must mean 1966. The year we won theWorld Cup.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » April 15th, 2024, 11:23 am

88V8 wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Today's presenter Shiela Dillon is one who really gets on my nerves. I suspect her (posher than the Royals and sounds affected) accent is part of that, but it's more that she always seems to be looking/talking down her nose at the listener.

For a more palatable female voice, Georgia Mann who presents Words & Music, or better still Sarah Mohr-Pietsch who without a trace of accent or affectation produces wonderful clarity in a voice like hot rum & molasses.

V8

Totally agree. Sarah Mohr-Pietsch is in an elevated leagure of her own I think. Voice very clear and attractive. As a general rule, I find women's voices clearer, perhaps it's just because of a higher octave.

What also hinders my comprehension of a voice on the radio is when the last few words of a sentence are suddenly pianissimo. John Humphrys on R4 Today used to do this and currently Tom Mackinney on R3.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 15th, 2024, 11:53 am

Mike4 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:They were incredibly powerful, which was one of the reasons why the Pope gave his blessing to their invasion on probably the only date that every schoolboy remembers.

Steve

What do you mean, 'We'?

I was only 5 years old.

Though my Dad bought me the 45 record 'Back Home' so I guess I did my bit by listening to it.

I believe that if the UK wants any more concessions under the Brexit agreement, the English team have to agree to a replay. 8-)

Steve

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 15th, 2024, 4:37 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

What do you mean, 'We'?

I was only 5 years old.

Though my Dad bought me the 45 record 'Back Home' so I guess I did my bit by listening to it.

I believe that if the UK wants any more concessions under the Brexit agreement, the English team have to agree to a replay. 8-)

Steve

By "We" I mean INGERLAND.

It was the last and only time I can ever remember taking any interest in football. I would have been 10 or 11 at the time...

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Postby Beerpig » April 15th, 2024, 9:10 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Mike4 wrote:

What do you mean, 'We'?

I was only 5 years old.

Steve

''Back Home' was the England 1970 record.
I dont believe they had one in '66.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » April 15th, 2024, 10:03 pm

Beerpig wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
What do you mean, 'We'?

I was only 5 years old.

Steve

By Jove I think you're right.

Instead of winning it a second time, they recorded a single instead. Bravo! Or something...

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » April 15th, 2024, 10:34 pm

Beerpig wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
What do you mean, 'We'?

I was only 5 years old.

Steve

You're correct when you say that there was no official song, as these started in 1970.

But we did enjoy 'World Cup Willie' by Lonnie Donegan!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... team_songs

Watis

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 16th, 2024, 10:25 am

Lonnie Donegan's voice was instantly recognisable, but his accent seemed odd mix of London and nasal US.
Any better ideas?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 17th, 2024, 12:36 am

stewamax wrote:Lonnie Donegan's voice was instantly recognisable, but his accent seemed odd mix of London and nasal US.
Any better ideas?

I've always thought he was midwestern Glasgow - perhaps cos of too many bingo sessions at the Grand Ole Opry on Govan Rd

I think there's a belief that UK singers generaly adopt Murrican accents as that's what has influenced them and which then propagates through time
- Lonnie is probably a big reason why the Beatles didn't sound scouse, or at least not originally ;)

It's so common that when a UK aritist uses their own accent it becomes almost a defining aspect of them (see the Proclaimers, Billy Bragg, Lily Allen, Mike Skinner etc) and anyone too influnced by them might getting in to immitation territory

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”