Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Things that make you go oooh thread....

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
SimonS
Lemon Slice

Re: Things that make you go oooh thread....

Postby SimonS » November 9th, 2023, 11:21 pm

Leothebear wrote:Could it possibly be that you have rubbish spanners?

Leo

Nah, just having fun. The M14 spanner doesn't officially fit any standard Metric size an M8 thread has an M13 nut and an M10 thread has an M15 nut
so an M14 nut would theoretically be an M14 nut , but M9 threads aren't standard.

Then there are all sorts of half nut sizes, M10 half-nuts with an M8 thread for holding Kart wheels onto the hubs , to allow a smaller tool to run the nut onto the thread and a standard M13 nut tolerance +0: -0.7(ie from 13 to 12.73 across the flats.

And since we know an exact spanner (eg 13 mm) wont fit on an exact( 13mm) nut ) spanners have a tolerance too.

Also when thinking of tolerances a spanner inaccuracy of 0.1mm is actually only 4 thou or a hair's breadth, or colloquially a "gnat's",

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 9th, 2023, 11:41 pm

SimonS wrote:
Leothebear wrote:Could it possibly be that you have rubbish spanners?

Leo

Nah, just having fun. The M14 spanner doesn't officially fit any standard Metric size an M8 thread has an M13 nut and an M10 thread has an M15 nut
so an M14 nut would theoretically be an M14 nut , but M9 threads aren't standard.

Then there are all sorts of half nut sizes, M10 half-nuts with an M8 thread for holding Kart wheels onto the hubs , to allow a smaller tool to run the nut onto the thread and a standard M13 nut tolerance +0: -0.7(ie from 13 to 12.73 across the flats.

And since we know an exact spanner (eg 13 mm) wont fit on an exact( 13mm) nut ) spanners have a tolerance too.

Also when thinking of tolerances a spanner inaccuracy of 0.1mm is actually only 4 thou or a hair's breadth, or colloquially a "gnat's",

I generally find spanners are less of a problem than nuts
- or I did until I splashed for a couple of Wera Joker Self Adjusting spanners
- proper oooh feel and none of that having to adjust a shifter, or slipping, because the blasted nut is worn, or rusty or just three different widths!

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » November 9th, 2023, 11:56 pm

Bolt heads and nuts are not normally prescision ground and, even if they were, they would still have a finite tolerance. A spanner has to fit a nut without the use of a hammer.

A 14mm open-ended spanner should be between 14.05 and 14.27 mm wide according to this table, https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://cdn.standards.iteh.ai/samples/4889/96acd00a4d684a47a0f2b2ed36c5adf2/ISO-691-1983.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwig7aOqjLiCAxWAQ_EDHQdtDrgQFnoECBkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw2yOR7w8Q52ROh2GSex1M3E

Not all spanners will comply with this standard.

Julian F. G. W.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 14th, 2023, 4:58 pm

Tedx wrote:When Greg Crawford, 56, realized he had left his camera behind on a bench at Barra Airport last month, he wasn’t too worried.

He had a friend working on the ferry who was heading back to the airport and could check when he returned.

He did, only to find the £2,000 piece of equipment gone.

Afterwards, Livingston-based Mr Crawford posted on various Facebook community pages, expecting someone would return the camera.

He said: “We have visited before, and with the nature of people on Barra we expected it would turn up.”

Barra is a small Scottish island and (I guess) with a very low crime rate. The kind of place where folk don't lock their doors etc.

Anyway....

But there was no word, until Mr Crawford got a call from Castlebay Police Station, who had some bizarre news.

Police at the station had received a letter, postmarked from England with the following message: “We found a camera at the bench on Barra Airport on the 6th of September.

“We decided that we would keep it as it was obviously meant to be found by us …. and we sold it to fund our holiday. We believe this was karma.

“We have returned the memory card as we realise there will be memories of somebody’s holiday in there.”

The peculiar confession left police “astounded,” according to Mr Crawford.

He told The P&J: “I’m still laughing… You just can’t take it seriously, I’m amazed.”

Cheeky bastards! I have no doubt CSI Barra have sprang in to action :D

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/cr ... olen-note/

CSI Barra swoop!

Arrest made in bizarre Barra ‘karma’ stolen camera case
A 54-year-old man is accused of stealing Greg Crawford's camera.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ra-arrest/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 14th, 2023, 5:19 pm

Tedx wrote:CSI Barra swoop!

Arrest made in bizarre Barra ‘karma’ stolen camera case

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/ne ... ra-arrest/

There was something about this on HIGNFY, I think? IIRC, they said the self-confessed perp had inadvertently left a photo of his own on the camera's memory card, which contained enough visual detail to tell plod exactly where he'd been at the time. (And, of course, what the exact date and time had been......)

From there, I suppose, the trail would have become quite a lot simpler. Even so, it speaks volumes about how busy the Barra police aren't. Around these parts, plod wouldn't have bothered turning out at all for a poxy £2,000 camera. :(

BJ

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 14th, 2023, 5:57 pm

bungeejumper wrote:From there, I suppose, the trail would have become quite a lot simpler. Even so, it speaks volumes about how busy the Barra police aren't. Around these parts, plod wouldn't have bothered turning out at all for a poxy £2,000 camera. :(

BJ

Was it for a camera? Mightn't it rather have been for a story that's had quite a lot of media coverage?

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 15th, 2023, 9:05 am

bungeejumper wrote:
Tedx wrote:Arrest made in bizarre Barra ‘karma’ stolen camera case

There was something about this on HIGNFY, I think? IIRC, they said the self-confessed perp had inadvertently left a photo of his own on the camera's memory card, which contained enough visual detail to tell plod exactly where he'd been at the time. (And, of course, what the exact date and time had been......)

Upon further reading, I gather that it's quite common for high-end cameras (and even some mobile phones) to record the exact GPS location whenever you take a photo.

For a wildlife or sports photographer, or for a news reporter, or of course for your car's dashcam, I'm sure it's really useful. But if you're not keen on your wife finding out exactly where you took those steamy action shots at the local house of bondage, it might have one or two drawbacks.

There are websites that claim to advise you on how to cover your digital traces. Who'd have thought that GPS info might have been enabled on your phone by default? :(

BJ

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 15th, 2023, 9:21 am

bungeejumper wrote:There are websites that claim to advise you on how to cover your digital traces. Who'd have thought that GPS info might have been enabled on your phone by default? :(

It's not exactly sneaky about it though. The very first item on the Settings menu of my phone camera is "Save Location?".

And every digital camera I've had in the last 10 years or so has had GPS, and I only use mid-range cameras.

Scott.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 15th, 2023, 9:53 am

swill453 wrote:And every digital camera I've had in the last 10 years or so has had GPS, and I only use mid-range cameras.

Thanks, our Panasonic doesn't. Or not as far as I'm aware. But whaddayaknow, my five year old phone has a pretty good stab at it. (Yeah, it gets the location wrong by about eight houses, but hey, nobody's perfect.)

I've learned something! Now, if only the lucky Barra tourist had known that too. Older and wiser by now, I guess?

BJ

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » November 15th, 2023, 11:14 pm

bungeejumper wrote:For a wildlife or sports photographer, or for a news reporter, or of course for your car's dashcam, I'm sure it's really useful. But if you're not keen on your wife finding out exactly where you took those steamy action shots at the local house of bondage, it might have one or two drawbacks.

There are websites that claim to advise you on how to cover your digital traces. Who'd have thought that GPS info might have been enabled on your phone by default? :(

BJ

The advice is to never post a photo online with GPS co-ordinates embedded. Post a photo of the lovely Ferrari in your garage with EXIF info included and you'll let crime gangs know exactly where it's kept. Actually, it's quite an eye opener when you use the 'show in google maps' feature in Irfanview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWmJ-E-tXBc

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 16th, 2023, 7:36 am

Redmires wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:For a wildlife or sports photographer, or for a news reporter, or of course for your car's dashcam, I'm sure it's really useful. But if you're not keen on your wife finding out exactly where you took those steamy action shots at the local house of bondage, it might have one or two drawbacks.

BJ

The advice is to never post a photo online with GPS co-ordinates embedded. Post a photo of the lovely Ferrari in your garage with EXIF info included and you'll let crime gangs know exactly where it's kept. Actually, it's quite an eye opener when you use the 'show in google maps' feature in Irfanview

But surely, the photo will only have this info if your phone 'Location' button is on? I keep mine off by default.

Steve

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 16th, 2023, 8:31 am

stevensfo wrote:
Redmires wrote:

But surely, the photo will only have this info if your phone 'Location' button is on? I keep mine off by default.

Steve

That's an interesting thought... I've not checked; but I will.

I've known some devices to persist their last known location for metadata purposes and I can imagine there's a bit of variation in how phones work

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 17th, 2023, 3:35 pm

servodude wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

That's an interesting thought... I've not checked; but I will.

I've known some devices to persist their last known location for metadata purposes and I can imagine there's a bit of variation in how phones work

I did a few experiments with taking photos.

When I used the camera on my phone, I looked at 'Settings'. There is an 'Add location' function that is off.

Why any mortal would want an exact location on their photos is beyond me. Surely 'Tenerife beach taken when pissed as a newt'' is sufficient? 8-)

Steve

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » November 17th, 2023, 5:04 pm

I just figured out how to stop the logging on my five year old LG K8 (Android), but it wasn't offered via the main Settings menu, which was a bit confusing.

Instead, I opened the camera app, then selected the settings icon within the program, and toggled "Tag locations" to Off. A quick test showed that the phone was no longer storing location data on new pics, but that they're still there on the old pics. (As one might have expected). But I can't imagine why this facility was defaulted to On in the first place?

Many thanks to all. And especially for the excellent comment about the Ferrari's secret garage. I used to have an elderly near neighbur with two 1920s Bugattis, which he kept well hidden. I suspect he'd have been mortified if he'd known that his phone might have been blowing the gaff on their location all the time?

BJ

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 18th, 2023, 8:57 am

bungeejumper wrote:I just figured out how to stop the logging on my five year old LG K8 (Android), but it wasn't offered via the main Settings menu, which was a bit confusing.

Instead, I opened the camera app, then selected the settings icon within the program, and toggled "Tag locations" to Off. A quick test showed that the phone was no longer storing location data on new pics, but that they're still there on the old pics. (As one might have expected). But I can't imagine why this facility was defaulted to On in the first place?

Many thanks to all. And especially for the excellent comment about the Ferrari's secret garage. I used to have an elderly near neighbur with two 1920s Bugattis, which he kept well hidden. I suspect he'd have been mortified if he'd known that his phone might have been blowing the gaff on their location all the time?

BJ

Burglars may not care these days, now that the police are helping them. ;)

Leicestershire police 'ignore' attempted burglaries at odd-numbered houses

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-lei ... e-33788264

Okay, an old story, but I remember it well. Stand-up comedians had a field day when it appeared! 8-)

Steve

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 19th, 2023, 8:26 am

Mauritius
Le Morne Brabant. Called an underwater waterfall. A girl I new was swimming there and unaware of it. When she came to it, she became terrified and freaked out. I can understand why.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 23rd, 2023, 4:20 pm

Meet the first Spanish AI model earning up to €10,000 per month

Aitana, an exuberant 25-year-old pink-haired woman from Barcelona, receives weekly private messages from celebrities asking her out. But this model is not real, she was created by her designers using AI.

It goes on to say:

She earns just over € 1,000 per advert, and has recently become the face of Big, a sports supplement company, and as if that weren't enough, she uploads photos of herself in lingerie to Fanvue, a platform similar to OnlyFans.

...and

However, the initiative is not without its critics. Many are concerned that the unrealistic perfection of the models could influence the younger generation to become obsessed with achieving such perfection.

On the other hand, they'll know its fake and something they can never aspire to - so why bother?

.....on the other, other hand plenty of women sell/objectify themselves on social media (show some ass to make some cash). Is their income now in doubt?

https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/11/2 ... -per-month

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 2nd, 2023, 8:14 am

Brrrr.

Minus 6.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » December 2nd, 2023, 8:21 am

Tedx wrote:Brrrr.

Minus 6.

A balmy -3 near Glasgow, but a couple of inches of snow overnight which I need to clear from our steep driveway :cry:

A fox came to the sunlounge door a few minutes ago, so I tossed some bits out for its breakfast, which it promptly buried in the snow on the lawn. Obviously not hungry.

--kiloran

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » December 2nd, 2023, 11:09 am

kiloran wrote:A balmy -3 near Glasgow, but a couple of inches of snow overnight which I need to clear from our steep driveway :cry:

--kiloran

Hey, if you've finished clearing your drive, pop over for a coffee. Just make sure you bring your broom and snow shovel ;)
doolally

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”