Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

The other side of FIRE - what to do with your life!

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Re: The other side of FIRE - what to do with your life!

Postby CliffEdge » March 2nd, 2023, 1:32 pm

Retirement is not like working.
If you live to work and are fully conditioned you will find retirement difficult to adjust to, particularly if you are under 57. In that case you will need to have a big hard task to achieve immediately after retirement.
Natural retirees, ie free thinkers, will relish retirement and the fun, purpose and self actualisation it offers. The unintelligent ambitious will find themselves lost and in danger of forming crackpot and extremist opinions.

dingdong
Lemon Pip

Postby dingdong » March 3rd, 2023, 12:10 pm

The other thing that I've found odd is what do you actually tell people you are doing if you have FIRE'd.
In my case I'm only 48... and reactions have ranged from

a) assuming I must be a criminal / drug dealer
b) assuming my family must be rich and i'm a spoilt brat
c) becoming envious or jealous and then it having a negative impact on the conversation

Overall I actually felt bad telling people that I'd retired knowing that others are having to work hard and will never be in that fortunate position.

Do most people just lie and pretend they are still working? Or do people describe themselves as something vague like "consultant"?

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » March 3rd, 2023, 12:17 pm

dingdong wrote:The other thing that I've found odd is what do you actually tell people you are doing if you have FIRE'd.

c) becoming envious or jealous and then it having a negative impact on the conversation

Overall I actually felt bad telling people that I'd retired knowing that others are having to work hard and will never be in that fortunate position.

Do most people just lie and pretend they are still working? Or do people describe themselves as something vague like "consultant"?

Nah, nobody cares what you do. Just tell them you're a private psychiatrist.
Model railways are the saviour of many a retiree. A common mistake is to think you need a large layout. All you need is a yard of track. It's collecting the locos that's the main fun.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » March 3rd, 2023, 12:33 pm

dingdong wrote:The other thing that I've found odd is what do you actually tell people you are doing if you have FIRE'd.

There was an extensive thread on this topic back in 2017 (link below). I had a fake job which I could do from home, which was consistent with my skills and experience. Luckily I was an Actuary and since most people switch off at the merest mention of actuarial topics I rarely had to answer any questions about my work (and client confidentiality is a great excuse). Sometimes when I went to London on a shopping trip for a few days I might mention that I was seeing a client :D

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=3214

I no longer need to have a fake job, since I'm now 59 which for most people seems to be the sort of age where taking early retirement doesn't set off the envy alarm.
Last edited by SalvorHardin on March 3rd, 2023, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » March 3rd, 2023, 12:37 pm

I told everyone when I retired at 48. I'd been telling anyone who would listen for years that I hated my job, they knew about my caring responsibilities, frugal nature, and work for the last few years as a well-paid contractor. No-one has ever shown resentment. Most of my friends are older than me, so I fit into their general retirement pattern.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » March 3rd, 2023, 2:39 pm

Learn to sail, join a sailing club and start racing. I know people in their 80s who are still racing - they are quite good.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 3rd, 2023, 3:33 pm

CliffEdge wrote:Natural retirees, ie free thinkers, will relish retirement and the fun, purpose and self actualisation it offers. The unintelligent ambitious will find themselves lost and in danger of forming crackpot and extremist opinions.

A little extreme perhaps?

CliffEdge wrote:Model railways are the saviour of many a retiree. A common mistake is to think you need a large layout. All you need is a yard of track. It's collecting the locos that's the main fun.

The defence rests m'lud :)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 3rd, 2023, 4:37 pm

Yes you do get some funny looks or told that you are too young to retire.

I thought about inventing something that I did to tell people. I was accused of being a spy once and thought about using that except spies don't tell you they are spies. I also tried saying I was a general layabout for a while but it was really hard to convince people and most wouldn't believe me.

For a while I said professional whatever I was doing at the time sailor or CYCLIST ETC. I tried saying I'd been fired after hearing that term (FIRE) but that mainly lead to long explanations.

Now I tend to say I'm ex.......

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » March 3rd, 2023, 4:47 pm

I retired at 52. I have several interests, one of which is watercolour painting. I also have an interest in local history. I'm currently draughting a watercolour from black and white plates of a turn of the century scene from a local village. The attached photo shows my working setup and several previous attempts. It's good to combine different interests.

The thing is, I can take my time till I'm happy with the outcome, there's no rush. I'm also finding out my limitations and can admire the incredible ability of others. Good to have stuff to do in the winter also.

Snakey
Lemon Pip

Postby Snakey » March 3rd, 2023, 4:57 pm

I handed in my notice just after my 49th birthday. I decided I wouldn't lie outright, but nor would I blab it out in response to every passing "so, how's work?" - casual small-talk would get a neutral (OK, misleading) response.

That's been a pretty good filter, as it's happened. Nearly two years later, a lot of people have yet to enquire beyond that! The trickiest bunch were my colleagues, who naturally wanted to know which firm I'd got my new job with and whether I was going in as partner or director etc. I told them I hadn't got another job but was having a break, and hadn't decided yet what to do next. That seemed to tick the box of "give us something to gossip about" every bit as well as the truth would have done!

I don't use the R-word, even when I am being open and honest. It was psychological in the end, I didn't like the finality of it nor do I wish to bring to mind the stereotyped lifestyle (slippers, Neighbourhood Watch, writing to the local paper about the bin collections...).

Don't knock "Consultant" till you've tried it! It gives the flexibility to plead poverty or to treat people, to claim "too busy" or to magically free up a three-week period, and to switch between those extremes or land somewhere in the middle as it suits your preference at the time.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 3rd, 2023, 11:49 pm

But how many here with children, at least two of the blighters, have retired before 55 ?

xxd09
Lemon Slice

Postby xxd09 » March 3rd, 2023, 11:59 pm

Had 3 -retired at 57
xxd09

thebarns
2 Lemon pips

Postby thebarns » March 4th, 2023, 2:08 am

Retired at 52, when both kids still at fee paying schools.

Now 57, one still there and now forking out Uni related costs for the eldest one.

Sadly, been afflicted with a semi serious illness for last 4 months which puts the whole early retirement in perspective - my take from that would be for anyone thinking about it and in a reasonable financial position, then just do it because this came right out of the blue and fair knocked the wind out of my sails and brings a different perspective on the future.

Oh, one other vital part of my early retirement……..Mrs thebarns is still working in a pretty well paid job !

Wuffle
Lemon Slice

Postby Wuffle » March 4th, 2023, 7:05 am

Knowledge of 'the sausage machine' would suggest, nice middle class parents with DB pensions and a family pile in the south east (tempered by a limited number of siblings) multiplies out to a bigger number than the negative of kids in education. Cynic that I am.

W.

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » March 4th, 2023, 9:38 am

Such an interesting thread for me as the 2 year anniversary of my early departure is upcoming. At 57 when I resigned I also had a problem using the R word to anybody who enquired about work. I'd just say I was taking a year out between contracts.
Like another poster referred to, for me I found the grind of commuting to a modern open plan office to be a soul sapping existence.
After years of getting up at 5.30 every morning it will take a long time for the novelty of going to bed to sleep until daylight wakes me up to wear off.
I'm enjoying the slower pace of life like starting every day with a short trip to the gym and cooking healthy food every day. I've also capitalised a few times on being able to short trips in the UK and abroad at the times when prices are cheapest rather than being constrained on timing.
The downside for me is that I've swapped being forced to share every day with a mismatched cohort of disgruntled colleagues to spending too much time in my own company and so working through a long list of potential solitary pursuits isn't the answer.
The stock response is to do volunteering work and though I would have no objection to giving my time to an activity which satisfies my needs I'm reluctant to do anything which may just feel like a job with no pay.
Finding local classes and group activities seems to be quite a challenge. The former seem to revolve around things like basic computing for silver surfers, flower arranging and creative writing :( . The latter have probably reduced in number since the pandemic.
In an effort to be proactive I visited my local library last week to ask for information about anything that's going on my local area. I was directed to a carousel of leaflets which were all about social care and health issues. My comment that I was thinking of something more leisure focussed drew a blank stare.
For now though, until I find my thing, wild horses wouldn't drag me back to an office environment and I remind myself frequently that I am exceptionally fortunate to be in the position that I am :)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 4th, 2023, 9:50 am

Dicky99 wrote:The stock response is to do volunteering work and though I would have no objection to giving my time to an activity which satisfies my needs I'm reluctant to do anything which may just feel like a job with no pay.

Yes it's a challenge to find sociable, fulfilling volunteer positions that don't need you to commit to turning up every day/week or whatever.

However we've found the volunteer team which looks after all the plants and borders around our town, since the council obviously doesn't have any funds to do this.

Also National Trust may have conservation volunteer teams locally which go to interesting places to do gardening, digging etc.

If there are walking areas near you there might be an organisation which looks after the paths, possibly Ramblers.

Scott.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » March 4th, 2023, 10:23 am

Dicky99 wrote:Like another poster referred to, for me I found the grind of commuting to a modern open plan office to be a soul sapping existence.
For now though, until I find my thing, wild horses wouldn't drag me back to an office environment and I remind myself frequently that I am exceptionally fortunate to be in the position that I am :)

Depends very much where and who you work with and what you do. After 2 years mostly WFH I felt myself going "Jack Torrance" in an empty house watching people still not getting the hang of their microphones and cameras on zoom. I am now working back in an office with some very smart and collegiate people doing interesting stuff, earning well, feeling no "career" pressure. But, this is not going to last forever, 3 or 4 more years at most.

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » March 4th, 2023, 10:42 am

Watching a quiz show on the telly, just to keep the little woman company you understand, I didn't understand a single one of the contestants' occupations, and I presume they were actual paying jobs.
So now I claim to be a consultant perception analyst for various MUOs.
(Not sure how many PC transgressions this post is guilty of - back to the peaked cap)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » March 5th, 2023, 8:53 pm

swill453 wrote:
Dicky99 wrote:The stock response is to do volunteering work and though I would have no objection to giving my time to an activity which satisfies my needs I'm reluctant to do anything which may just feel like a job with no pay.

Yes it's a challenge to find sociable, fulfilling volunteer positions that don't need you to commit to turning up every day/week or whatever.

However we've found the volunteer team which looks after all the plants and borders around our town, since the council obviously doesn't have any funds to do this.

Also National Trust may have conservation volunteer teams locally which go to interesting places to do gardening, digging etc.

If there are walking areas near you there might be an organisation which looks after the paths, possibly Ramblers.

Scott.

I agree with this 100%. Many local organizations need volunteers. People who can help with accounts are particularly sought after.

By chance I got involved with Community Transport as a volunteer driver of our Community Bus. This now part of a larger organisation with the same objectives. I gave up driving almost 15 years ago because the insurers would only offer cover up to 75 but am still a trustee of the Charity.

Local Hospital Transport schemes have a different focus, and volunteers would use their own cars.

This is only scratching the surface of the opportunities available. You may have a local VCS which can point you in the right direction.

TJH

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 5th, 2023, 9:00 pm

I retired at a similar age to you and, when people ask me what I do, I reply: "I pass time pleasurably".

I do not need to justify myself to anybody.

Return to “Retirement Investing (inc FIRE)”