Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

The other side of FIRE - what to do with your life!

Including Financial Independence and Retiring Early (FIRE)
dingdong
Lemon Pip

The other side of FIRE - what to do with your life!

Postby dingdong » January 12th, 2023, 12:08 pm

Having recently taken some extended time off from working I'm quickly realising how dull it can be if you don't have a plan for what you want to achieve during your early retirement (particularly in the scenario where everyone you know is still at work so you don't have a ready pool of people that want to do fun activities with you during the week!).

Even more worrying studies show that people who retire early are more likely to suffer cognitive decline.

I found this article an interesting read about how so many people are focussed on the financial side they forget to think about what their other goals are and the benefits of discovering your purpose...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/15/67-year-old-who-unretired-at-62-shares-the-biggest-retirement-challenge-that-no-one-talks-about.html

88V8
Lemon Half

Re: The other side of FIRE - what to do with your life!

Postby 88V8 » January 12th, 2023, 12:49 pm

dingdong wrote:Having recently taken some extended time off from working I'm quickly realising how dull it can be if you don't have a plan for what you want to achieve during your early retirement ...

If one has hobbies it's easy. The hobbies can expand to take up any amount of time so that the cliche... 'don't know how I had time to go to work' becomes entirely apt.
What with DIY, cars, garden, reading, photography etc, our days are full.

Otherwise, and if one is the type that requires people and external stimulation, it can be a problem. Volunteering may be an option.

It's good that you are giving it some thought before taking the leap.

V8

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 12th, 2023, 1:13 pm

88V8 wrote:If one has hobbies it's easy. The hobbies can expand to take up any amount of time so that the cliche... 'don't know how I had time to go to work' becomes entirely apt.
What with DIY, cars, garden, reading, photography etc, our days are full.
V8

Of course the problem is if you have/had a stressful job with not time to develop these.
I'm retiring soon and to get us both use to the idea, my firm has put me on a 3 day week.

2'ed none working day hit like a brick and I realized that I would have to give some serious thought to developing hobbies.

Sure I'll have time for DIY (but I don't really like doing it).
Gardening has been bagged by the Wife.
Reading, well I do a lot. Or at least listening to audiobooks. Not sure that I should increase it from my average of 5hr a day (I got an email with a breakdown of my listening).
I'll have more time to cook, but there is only so much that you can sensibly eat.

I'm thinking of learning a second language. It's something that I didn't do as a kid, because I couldn't see the point. Now it needs no point other than filling a desire that has grown. My Uncle learned to swim when he retired.

The point may be to make an effort to find things, rather than expecting to be provided with things to do. I think that some buy a dog to take them for walks.

TedSwippet
Lemon Slice

Postby TedSwippet » January 12th, 2023, 3:33 pm

dingdong wrote:Even more worrying studies show that people who retire early are more likely to suffer cognitive decline.

More likely perhaps, but how much more likely? 1%? 2%? 5%? Certainly not inevitably large.

Since giving up work, and alongside the inevitable gardening and (sporadic!) DIY, I have:
  • Started learning to draw and paint. Previously an entirely hopeless artist limited to stick men, I chose this because for me it is a difficult challenge. Results are much better than I could have predicted. Also, lifelong -- you can never be too good at art.
  • Started learning to play piano. As above, never attempted before, and absolutely no prior musical experience or training. Again, lifelong with no end-point.
  • Learning Spanish. Very useful in the types of country I like to visit, specifically central America.
  • Learning sign language. I have a number of cousins who are Deaf. This lets me have unmediated conversations with them.
  • Learning to program in Lua and JavaScript. Both never encountered before.
  • Joined a gym, and now do seven classes a week, most weeks. Prior to retiring, I'd never set foot in a gym. Never especially unfit, but even so much fitter now than ten or even twenty years ago.
  • Got a decent road bike, and cycled to local hilltops, viewpoints, countryside, and parks.
  • Subscriptions to EdX, Coursera, and Futurelearn. I've worked through any number of excellent courses, many at degree level. Most notable have been psychology, philosophy, and (to my surprise) neurobiology.
In practice, I did none of these things while working. Rather than expand on previous hobbies, I took an active and intentional decision to redesign nearly everything I do, and reorient towards mostly entirely different activities to before. In all cases, it's the process, not the outcome, that counts. It's been a tonic. Keeping an enquiring mind is key to staving off decline. Retain neuroplasticity (one of the take-homes from my class on neurobiology!).

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » January 12th, 2023, 4:55 pm

I vote for expanding hobbies and trying something new. My new thing was to sign up for an Open University Law degree, which I did in three years. Study from home at your own pace. Maybe read a lot of classic novels.

Day trips. There are plenty of interesting places in the UK. Go on that long holiday that you've wanted to do for many years? Get your travel in early as possible health issues and slowing down as the years pass may restrict your movements in the future.

If you're interested in watching sport on TV, you probably know that there is a lot of it. Especially cricket (my favourite sport), much of which is shown very conveniently in the afternoon (especially the T20 leagues).

Exercise. You now have a lot more time for walks to keep fit.

You now have the time to visit several supermarkets a week, rather than just the one for the big weekly shop.

Many retirees identified so closely with their work that once it has gone it leaves a massive gap. Even worse if much of their social life was work-related.

Good luck!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 12th, 2023, 5:14 pm

I must admit to being one of those "how did I find time to work" people.

I worked to earn money to do the things I wanted to do. When I found myself staring in shop windows at Xmas looking for things to spend momney on, I wondered "why do something I dislike to earn money I don't need to buy things I don't want."

Since moving I've got involved in Village Life (but avoided the Parish Council) - next week I'm painting panto scenery, we have an evening planning a coronation event and I need to sort a couple more volunteers to deliver the village magazine. And I still have a long list of tasks thanks to MrsF.

MrsF is away for a few days, so tomorrow I might pop into the shed, refit the air filter to the old Toyota, and take the camshafts out of the 1990s Honda so I can measure the shims. Or I might take the bike into town (the usual car park is closed due to flood risk so the others will be full, and I haven't ridden the bike for a while), pop into the market for some cheese and faggots from the deli, maybe have a cake and coffee and a browse of the art gallery or see what is on at the museum.

Or I could get The List out, clear the leaves from the grids, check the mouse traps, fit the hook and eye to hold the new gate open and drill a hole in the concrete for the drop bolt (it gets very windy here, hence the new gate), or spray some bleach on the grout in the bathroom and get the old nailbrush out - life is just one long adventure :)

Although according to a rather whiny creature bouncing up and down in front of me, the first task is to feed the dog.

Paul

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 12th, 2023, 7:04 pm

Initially we switched roles, I was at home and she was still working. Household chores filled some of the time. I also liked my movies so a home cinema. Fitness was also a high priority and I enjoyed cycling although as I did more she complained I was getting too thin. So more time in the home gym to compensate.

I had other interests. A friend owned a yacht so lots of sailing trips and another had a paragliding business and a family member had a share of a microlight. A new woodland venture planting thousands of trees.

Other people also like to spend your time for you and eventually you learn how to start saying no to some things otherwise you would end up grafting for someone else but without the benefits or pay.

The biggest issue is finding what you both like doing together. Whilst I'm happy to slum it and cycle across country she prefers a nice hotel and a spa. I can't just lie on a sunbed all day doing nothing.

I'm happy to visit and stay in other places, almost like living there rather than a holiday.

Most of what I do requires a level of fitness and generally nicer weather. I don't know what I'd do in winter when I'm old and infirm. I suppose there are more books and films and places to visit if we can get insurance.

A World cruise looks cheaper than a home and probably will look after you better.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 12th, 2023, 7:47 pm

Driving people to hospitals, treasurer to a military charity, gardening, not paying anyone for doing something I can do myself, undertaking an Open University course in mathematics ( now quite expensive!), sitting on a beautiful hot summer’s day in my garden, drinking Pimms or whatever, similar summer’s day driving to the coast just because I can.

I have always read a lot so that has not changed. Never, ever, get into a position where you say ‘I have no idea how I ever found time to work’

And of course being able to take extended holidays in our midwinter.

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 12th, 2023, 7:56 pm

dingdong wrote:I'm quickly realising how dull it can be if you don't have a plan for what you want to achieve during your early retirement (particularly in the scenario where everyone you know is still at work so you don't have a ready pool of people that want to do fun activities with you during the week!).

I hear that a lot. I have been retired for over 20 years and have never regretted it for a moment, and am never bored. I don't really have hobbies as such, and the only "job" I have had since retiring was running a pub quiz for a while.

People consistently ask me what I do with all the time, and I have a standard, stock answer: I spend it passing time pleasurably. :D

But then I am perfectly happy sitting alone in a room doing nothing. Perhaps the key is not artificially filling every day with activities. But merely relaxing and learning to enjoy peace and quiet? Probably depends whether you are type A or type B person.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 12th, 2023, 9:12 pm

dingdong wrote:Having recently taken some extended time off from working I'm quickly realising how dull it can be if you don't have a plan for what you want to achieve during your early retirement (particularly in the scenario where everyone you know is still at work so you don't have a ready pool of people that want to do fun activities with you during the week!).

Even more worrying studies show that people who retire early are more likely to suffer cognitive decline.

I found this article an interesting read about how so many people are focussed on the financial side they forget to think about what their other goals are and the benefits of discovering your purpose...

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/15/67-year-old-who-unretired-at-62-shares-the-biggest-retirement-challenge-that-no-one-talks-about.html

You could

1. Keep fish. Tropical, marine or Koi
  2. Keep budgies. My Dad had a beautiful shed and aviary that we built together
  3. Go fishing. Try sea fishing.
  4. Go shooting. My Dad did clay pigeon shooting
  5. Volunteer to work in a charity shop
  6. Build a model railway
  7. Learn to dance
  8. Collect and build Lego
  9. Decorate your home
  10. Go walking ... get a dog
  11. Learn woodwork
  12. Build a remote controlled aircraft - this will consume huge amounts of time
  13. Play computer games
  14. Join a chess club
  15. Join a badminton club
  16. Go swimming
  17. Go camping
  18. Learn to ride a horse
  19. Learn archery
  20. Go canoeing
  21. Keep bees
  22. Go birdwatching
  23. Learn photography
  24. Get a telescope and take up astronomy
  25. Go kite flying
  26. Collect stamps
  27. Collect leaves and press them
  28. Learn lapidary
  29. Cook, bake
  30. Sew, paint, draw, make wine, make beer, make cheese
  31. Bowling, darts
  32. Genealogy
  33. Read, join a book club
  34. Learn a musical instrument
AiY(D)

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 12th, 2023, 9:49 pm

By chance I became a volunteer driver for our Community Bus. Nominally committed to one day on service per month, plus private hires as required. Became the trainer for new drivers and went on the committee. Very enjoyable doing the services, particularly one longish run along the villages below the downs. 23 years on, I am still a trustee for the charity which took us over, when we had a problem.

Add to that involvement with various village groups, being treasurer of one, several lunch clubs, and guilty looks at the unkempt garden, it's hard to find time to attend funerals of friends, which have become sadly frequent as we grow old together.

TJH

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 13th, 2023, 8:47 am

AIY’s list has a major omission: golf. And of course his 30. should include bread making.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 13th, 2023, 9:01 am

GrahamPlatt wrote:AIY’s list has a major omission: golf.

I very much doubt that was an error :)

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » January 13th, 2023, 9:39 am

DrFfybes wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:AIY’s list has a major omission: golf.

I very much doubt that was an error :)

A good walk, ruined.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 13th, 2023, 12:11 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:You could

Yes I do find it a bit odd when anyone says 'I'm borrrred' ;)

V8

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 13th, 2023, 2:15 pm

dingdong wrote:Having recently taken some extended time off from working I'm quickly realising how dull it can be if you don't have a plan for what you want to achieve during your early retirement (particularly in the scenario where everyone you know is still at work so you don't have a ready pool of people that want to do fun activities with you during the week!).

Not sure if you're asking for yourself or speaking generally, but ...

In terms of choice for real-world things, a lot depends on where you are. If you're in or near London there's a number of adult ed establishments that do everything from one day to multi-session courses on a wide variety of subjects, and the universities, and of course there's all the museums and galleries that, being free, you can drop into regularly and get to know well, and many of those have talks and courses too. I expect there's similar, albeit on a smaller scale, in many/most cities and larger towns.

And for real world activities with similarly interested people in general, check out http://www.meetup.com. Try sticking your location into https://www.meetup.com/find/?dateRange=next-week&source=EVENTS to see what meetups are happening near you next week. You can also use that page to find out what groups there are near you.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 13th, 2023, 2:27 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:AIY’s list has a major omission: golf. And of course his 30. should include bread making.

Personally I found just reading his list to be exhausting. :D

Reading this topic it seems to me that there are two different approaches. Some people look at it from the point of view of time to be filled, and then work out how to fiil it. For others it is more about the things they want to do, and then they figure if they have enough time to do them all.

Even back in my working days I thought something similar. Some people look at work as being 40 hours a week, and then they determine what they can get done in that time. Whilst others see work as goals to be met, and hope they can get them done in the time.

Personally I was always time-oriented rather than task-oriented. When I worked Friday at 5 pm was the best time of the week. Now it is 9 am on Mondays, when most people go to work and I have an entire week to look forward to without anything on my agenda. Bliss! On the other hand I no longer enjoy weekends so much: Everywhere is too crowded and loud.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 13th, 2023, 2:44 pm

GrahamPlatt wrote:AiY’s list has a major omission: golf. And of course his 30. should include bread making.

Oh come on Graham I mentioned walking, didn't I? :lol:

I know my badness. I also missed sky diving, abseiling, tombstoning, freefalling, scuba diving, spear fishing, mountain climbing, including Everest, learning to fly, clay modelling, jigsaws, origami, knitting, sewing, crochet, cross-stitch, tapestry, potholing and volunteering to work for NASA on experimental space craft.

AiY(D)
I wish I could retire :)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 13th, 2023, 3:22 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote:AiY’s list has a major omission: golf. And of course his 30. should include bread making.

I know my badness. I also missed sky diving, abseiling, tombstoning, freefalling, scuba diving, spear fishing, mountain climbing, including Everest, learning to fly, clay modelling, jigsaws, origami, knitting, sewing, crochet, cross-stitch, tapestry, potholing and volunteering to work for NASA on experimental space craft.

What, no Lego Collecting :)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 13th, 2023, 3:34 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

What, no Lego Collecting :)

Lego... no 8 on the list, but no Meccano...

And then...
Macrame
Drones
Learn poker or bridge
Play squash
Become a chiropractor
Choral singing
Ventriloquist
Trapeze
Cat breeder
Hedge laying
Gardening.. the real thing, not just tidying up