Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

BT TV query

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
ten0rman
Lemon Slice

BT TV query

Postby ten0rman » January 23rd, 2017, 3:36 pm

I've just renewed my BT TV which uses the BT Youview box, DTRT2100, which I understand is the rebranded Humax 2100.

Now, we don't use the extra BT facilities such as additional programs afforded by this box. Indeed, all we do is record Freeview, ie through the air, programs so as you might expect I decided to stop paying for BT TV. Unfortunately, the lady I spoke to was adamant that cancelling BT TV would stop the box working so, rather reluctantly i've renewed my subscription albeit a little bit cheaper.

This seems rather strange to me as although all the additional services are supplied via broadband, the programs we watch and record are all supplied via the aerial, so why does it need a broadband connection for that? Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to argue against it as I just do not know. So, my question is, does anyone know if she is correct? Because if she is, then next year I might well obtain a separate recorder and scrap BT TV altogether - provided I can first download the existing recordings.

Just for the record, and nothing to do with the above, the reason why we have this box is because the original Tevion (Medion?) digital set top box failed after seven years so we got this one thinking the additional facilities might be of use. Then we found that the original 4:3 TV wasn't wholly compatible with the box, so we bought a replacement TV which has it's own digital tuner built in, hence the BT TV box now sits unused for substantial periods of time. So in reality, it looks as if the original thinking has now turned round to bite us, me, on the backside.

Thoughts anyone?

ten0rman

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: BT TV query

Postby Itsallaguess » January 23rd, 2017, 4:17 pm

ten0rman wrote:
I've just renewed my BT TV which uses the BT Youview box, DTRT2100, which I understand is the rebranded Humax 2100.

Now, we don't use the extra BT facilities such as additional programs afforded by this box. Indeed, all we do is record Freeview, ie through the air, programs so as you might expect I decided to stop paying for BT TV. Unfortunately, the lady I spoke to was adamant that cancelling BT TV would stop the box working so, rather reluctantly i've renewed my subscription albeit a little bit cheaper.

This seems rather strange to me as although all the additional services are supplied via broadband, the programs we watch and record are all supplied via the aerial, so why does it need a broadband connection for that? Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to argue against it as I just do not know. So, my question is, does anyone know if she is correct? Because if she is, then next year I might well obtain a separate recorder and scrap BT TV altogether - provided I can first download the existing recordings.

Thoughts anyone?

ten0rman

I can't help with your initial BT-box query, but as far as getting things off the existing box goes, you should be able to carry out a 'Save to USB' of any un-encrypted programmes that you've already recorded.

To get any encrypted (usually HD but sometimes not) programmes onto a USB stick, you'll have to first disable the encryption-flag using this bit of software, and then once that's been done then you can carry out a 'Save to USB' as with the other non-encrypted programmes -

https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/foxy-an- ... eased.240/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » January 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm

ten0rman wrote:... the lady I spoke to was adamant that cancelling BT TV would stop the box working...

Well, the official BT advice posted as a sticky thread a couple of years ago (and still a 'sticky' today) was that only the...

SeanD - BT Community Manager wrote:... Extra TV channels you signed up to from BT will stop working...

2. Will trick play (fast forward, rewind and Pause) and Record still work on my box after cancelling TV subscription with BT?
Yes, these functions on your box will still work as expected. Cancelling your subscription will not affect these functions.

3. Will I lose all my recordings if I cancel my BT TV Subscription?
You will lose recordings for any of the Extra TV channels from BT. Recordings from Freeview will remain in place.
https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Box ... -p/1396849

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » January 23rd, 2017, 7:17 pm

I have a YouView box from PlusNet which is a subsidiary of BT and provides basically the same service. I don't subscribe to the TV service. everything works fine, just don't get the (poor value) additional channels. It still needs the Ethernet connection of course to access the broadband facilities such as catch-up, Iplayer and the like, but no need for the subscription.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » January 23rd, 2017, 9:53 pm

I have a BT DTRT2100, which I purchased from eBay. It works fine for recording Freeview. I have never subscribed to BT TV.

Stompa

ten0rman
Lemon Slice

Postby ten0rman » January 24th, 2017, 10:22 am

Well, it looks as if I've "been had"! But to be fair, I may have mislead her by not being totally clear in what I was saying, something I've been accused of many times before.

I think I'll leave it as it is, and then cancel next year. When all said and done, it isn't as if I've signed up for something I neither need nor want, it's more that I've tried to get rid of something I don't think I need. In terms of expense, it's no different, and in reality it's not as if we're desperate for for those few pounds.

Many thanks for the confirmation. And the hint on how to get stuff off the machine.

ten0rman

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”