Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Dropouts

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
eepee
Lemon Slice

Dropouts

Postby eepee » April 6th, 2024, 3:41 pm

I think I am getting ISP dropouts of short duration.

Whereas some longish ones are easy to see because of the lights on the router, the short ones I cannot see except for a feeling that things are rather sluggish for a few seconds. It does also mean that I only realise this when actively online.

Does anyone know of a free connections checker? Preferably graphic - I don't think I am up to getting to grips with pinging tables and that is what I have come across online.

Regards,
ep

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Dropouts

Postby mc2fool » April 7th, 2024, 8:05 am

Does you router not provide any information? Most routers have an event log which will show sync losses and resyncs and most also will show some statistics on line errors and the like.

On the graphic pinging your router side, I use https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality, although with a single pixel line being around two minutes I'm not sure it'll give you the resolution you want. You'll need a dynamic DNS address for your router too.

eepee
Lemon Slice

Postby eepee » April 8th, 2024, 2:40 pm

Thank you very much for your response.

I didn't know that it is possible to 'talk' to the router - I shall check this out sometime.

However for the moment, the monitoring link you supplied will be something I will install in a few days (the relevant network setup is not here).

Regards,
ep

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 8th, 2024, 3:20 pm

eepee wrote:Thank you very much for your response.

I didn't know that it is possible to 'talk' to the router - I shall check this out sometime.

However for the moment, the monitoring link you supplied will be something I will install in a few days (the relevant network setup is not here).

Regards,
ep

If you post which router you have then others with the same will be able to advise on how you check its logs & stats.

They'll also be able to tell you if/how you can set up a dynamic DNS address for it, which you'll need to use the monitor I linked to (if it can't be done on your router it can be done on your PC, but best done on the router if possible).

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 8th, 2024, 3:27 pm

I had dropouts when it rained!

viewtopic.php?p=555866#p555866

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”