Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Saker cordless hedge trimmer

Does what it says on the tin
joey

Saker cordless hedge trimmer

Postby joey » May 2nd, 2024, 1:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I am currently in the market for a cordless hedge trimmer and have been looking at the Saker cordless hedge trimmer. First, I wanted to get some feedback from those who have used it.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Saker cordless hedge trimmer? I'm particularly interested in its performance, battery life, and overall durability. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance for your help!

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Saker cordless hedge trimmer

Postby DrFfybes » May 2nd, 2024, 5:03 pm

What features of the Saker attract you to it over, say, a Bosch, Black and Decker, or Ego?

:)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 2nd, 2024, 7:52 pm

1. Check online reviews (for both the company and the product);
2. Check for availability of spares;
3. Buy something-else.

On Amazon, 6% of reviews are 1 star, and there is criticism of both the product and the manufacturer.

I have not found any spare parts listed.

Many manufacturers (such as Makita) have very good parts availability. With some manufacturers, you can get the parts but they are expensive. With some other manufacturers, you cannot get individual parts but you can buy a whole sub-assembly. Good luck getting spares for many of the lesser-known or low-cost brands unless you want a non item-specific part (such as a ball bearing or a standard metric toothed belt).

I would consider a good second-hand product rather than a questionable new one (although I would prefer a good new one if it is cordless as replacement batteries can be expensive).

Julian F. G. W.

chris
Lemon Pip

Postby chris » May 2nd, 2024, 8:57 pm

Hi

It really depends on how much hedge you have to cut and how rugged it needs to be. We have hedges on both sides of our garden and the front is about 100 feet long and the back 150 feet, plus a 50 foot hedge at the bottom. We bought cheap corded hedge trimmers at first. Then, when they failed, hired petrol ones and finally bought the same make as we hired. Once there were battery ones available in that make, we bought those from the same manufacturer. These are Husqvarna hedge trimmers and are at the top end of the price scale but will cut through most things without damaging the blades (you need to be really careful with wire fences as if you touch them, it will cut straight through them). The trimmers plus a battery and charger cost £450 at the time but because of the scale of hedges we have to cut, I consider it good value, especially since they were invaluable for taking some of the height and bulk out of the neighbour's hedge which I cut for her.

If you only had a small hedge, it may be an idea to go cheap but if you have a significant amount, it is always best to buy a decent quality set of cutters. They are much easier to use and will give a better finish and also last longer than a cheap set.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 2nd, 2024, 11:22 pm

Another factor is whether it comes in your choice of colour.

https://www.amazon.com/Saker-Cordless-Trimmer-20V-Electric-Rechargeable/dp/B0CC8W1DRT

Julian F. G. W.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » May 2nd, 2024, 11:46 pm

If you already have a good quality cordless tool, you may be able to buy a trimmer of the same brand, body only, and use your existing batteries and charger. This Makita one is £53.99, https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-dum111zx-18v-lxt-cordless-grass-shears-body-only-with-hedge-trimmer-blade
If you have much hedge to cut, you may be better off spending more on something bigger.

Julian F. G. W.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » May 3rd, 2024, 8:29 am

IMO it depends on what type of hedge that ytu are attacking

for a privit or beech type light trimming, then a battery machine would do
if you attacking a more serious hedge like a laurel or doing a major cut then a real machine would be so much easier

I have a large STIHL and have had and used it for 10 years with no issues at all
i did get it serviced once about 5 years ago
it lives in the garage, storeage location is quite important imo

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » May 3rd, 2024, 10:26 am

Moderator Message:
This topic has been reported as potentially having been started by a bot. The mod team are aware of the increase in unusual first-time posts where the OP never replies to following posts. It is likely that these are so-called 'bot' posts. We undertake various 'tests' to determine whether or not the posts are genuine and take action as required. For obvious reasons, we will not discuss these 'tests' in public.

Would all our regular members please report breaches of rules using the Report function and not discuss the potential 'offence' on the thread as this just makes the moderation task more difficult.

Thanks

(chas49)

Return to “Building and DIY”