Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

Expansion Vessel for Mains Water?

Does what it says on the tin
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Expansion Vessel for Mains Water?

Postby bruncher » May 8th, 2024, 1:45 pm

My gas boiler was serviced today. I mentioned the high number of water leaks we had experienced since the installation of a water meter. Our gas engineer said that Thames Water should have been informing all customers that the water meters they install have a non-return valve which puts more pressure on internal plumbing. He gave the example of quickly turning off a cold water tap in the house that might previously have caused water to back up a little, but now the non-return makes this impossible and hence water seeks an escape elsewhere e.g. finding a potential weakness and leaking.

The remedy he suggests is a small expansion vessel on the incoming main water pipe. The is totally new information for me. Has anyone else heard about this? Should I have the expansion vessel fitted?

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Expansion Vessel for Mains Water?

Postby BullDog » May 8th, 2024, 2:09 pm

I can't answer the question exactly. But if indeed you are getting noise when you stop a flow of water quickly (for example the fill solenoid valve on a washing machine closes) the answer could well be an expansion vessel. It would act like a kind of shock absorber in the water piping.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » May 8th, 2024, 2:38 pm

bruncher wrote:He gave the example of quickly turning off a cold water tap in the house that might previously have caused water to back up a little, but now the non-return makes this impossible and hence water seeks an escape elsewhere e.g. finding a potential weakness and leaking.

I would be surprised if the expansion requirements of the cold water system are sufficient to require an expansion vessel to be fitted.

I've got a double non return valve on my incoming cold water and I've not had any leaks.
Although I do my own plumbing, so am heavily incentivised to ensure the plumbing work I do doesn't leak ;) .

I believe non-return valves are needed by law, so presumably all new houses have them.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » May 8th, 2024, 2:49 pm

I have an under sink water heater. This required a non-return valve and a vessel to cater for expansion with a pressure relief valve, vented outside. It is connected direct to the incoming main. I suspect that a Quooker has a similar requirement.

TJH

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » May 8th, 2024, 3:01 pm

jaizan wrote:
bruncher wrote:He gave the example of quickly turning off a cold water tap in the house that might previously have caused water to back up a little, but now the non-return makes this impossible and hence water seeks an escape elsewhere e.g. finding a potential weakness and leaking.

I would be surprised if the expansion requirements of the cold water system are sufficient to require an expansion vessel to be fitted.

What we are dealing with is two very similar things called different names and used for different purposes.
Modern central heating systems have an expansion vessel as water expands when it gets hot. It use to be an expansion tank, but is now a vessel with a pressurized balloon inside it.
Modern plumbing does not use a local cold water tank. As water flows it's mass gains kinetic energy. Stop the flow and that energy causes a pressure spike. It's called a water hammer because it's very like a hammer. A large force spike.
As Bulldog says, you can get a water hammer arrester, which is, wait for it.
A vessel with a pressurized balloon inside it.

BTW, you might like to look up ram pumps, which use check valves and the water hammer effect to pump water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHwjhLVDWfc

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 8th, 2024, 3:30 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
jaizan wrote:I would be surprised if the expansion requirements of the cold water system are sufficient to require an expansion vessel to be fitted.

What we are dealing with is two very similar things called different names and used for different purposes.
Modern central heating systems have an expansion vessel as water expands when it gets hot. It use to be an expansion tank, but is now a vessel with a pressurized balloon inside it.
Modern plumbing does not use a local cold water tank. As water flows it's mass gains kinetic energy. Stop the flow and that energy causes a pressure spike. It's called a water hammer because it's very like a hammer. A large force spike.

BTW, you might like to look up ram pumps, which use check valves and the water hammer effect to pump water.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHwjhLVDWfc

Exactly.

8-)

(Though the word you were looking for when describing a moving column of water is momentum).

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 8th, 2024, 7:51 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:Modern plumbing does not use a local cold water tank.

No cold water tank... and a very stupid idea that is too.

The pressure vessel must be blue. Blue vessels are non-corrodible.
Red vessels are for corrosion-inhibited systems, ie central heating.
If you put a red vessel on your mains water, one day it will rust through and explode and take your legs off.

V8 (other body parts are available)

Return to “Building and DIY”