Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Another query re online tax return

Practical Issues
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Another query re online tax return

Postby Bouleversee » January 21st, 2017, 8:03 pm

Where is one supposed to enter PIDS? With the paper returns there was a separate box for them but I couldn't see one when I finally did mine online today. I put them under "other dividends", the net amount, but how will they know, since there was no place to enter the fact, that they were PIDS and 20% tax had been deducted? I did put a note to that effect in the comment box but presumably that won't be read for a while and in the meantime they have calculated my tax rebate. I suppose it is all subject to checking. I also included foreign divs. under £300 and filled in the foreign tax deducted box. However, I couldn't follow what they had done on the calculation so far as divs. were concerned. We are talking relative peanuts so it's not worth spending a lot of time over but I do like to understand how they get to their figures.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Re: Another query re online tax return

Postby Gersemi » January 22nd, 2017, 10:36 am

It should go in box 17 "other UK income not included on supplementary pages" and the tax in box 19.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... s_2016.pdf (page 6)

Gersemi

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 22nd, 2017, 11:45 am

Gersemi -

OH dear. I wonder if my note in the comment box will suffice to alter it.

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Postby Gersemi » January 22nd, 2017, 11:56 am

Bouleversee wrote:Gersemi -

OH dear. I wonder if my note in the comment box will suffice to alter it.

It's probably safest to amend it, it's pretty easy if you have filed it online. You only need to amend the bits you want to change, not refile the whole thing.

Gersemi

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » January 22nd, 2017, 4:28 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Where is one supposed to enter PIDS? With the paper returns there was a separate box for them but I couldn't see one when I finally did mine online today. I put them under "other dividends", the net amount, but how will they know, since there was no place to enter the fact, that they were PIDS and 20% tax had been deducted? I did put a note to that effect in the comment box but presumably that won't be read for a while and in the meantime they have calculated my tax rebate. I suppose it is all subject to checking. I also included foreign divs. under £300 and filled in the foreign tax deducted box. However, I couldn't follow what they had done on the calculation so far as divs. were concerned. We are talking relative peanuts so it's not worth spending a lot of time over but I do like to understand how they get to their figures.

In the online return, as I remember it you have to answer "Yes" to a question along the lines of "Do you have any other UK income?" and that opens up equivalents to boxes 17-21 on page TR3 of the paper tax return (https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/503309/sa100_2016.pdf). And at least when I last looked, this was near-impossible to discover from the help system for the online tax return, because you had to answer "Yes" to the question and open up the boxes to get access to the help about them... The only way I originally worked it out was by loading the paper tax return's notes (the link quoted by Gersemi) and searching them for stuff about PIDs. That told me where they belonged in the paper tax return, which in turn told me roughly where to look in the online return...

Not HMRC's most user-friendly hour!

Gengulphus

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 22nd, 2017, 4:33 pm

Bouleversee wrote:I wonder if my note in the comment box will suffice to alter it.

Do you owe them, or they owe you? PIDs get 20% tax withheld, so if you are subject to Basic Rate, it's already settled.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 22nd, 2017, 6:45 pm

Alaric wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:I wonder if my note in the comment box will suffice to alter it.

Do you owe them, or they owe you? PIDs get 20% tax withheld, so if you are subject to Basic Rate, it's already settled.

Boulee said in her OP that HMRC has calculated her "rebate" but, in any event, not least due to the various allowances and reliefs available and the methods of income allocation, it would be best to amend the online Return within the time limit available.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 27th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Thanks, everyone. All sorted now. Just waiting for my rebate.

Return to “Taxes (Practical)”