Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Lowland Investment Company plc (LWI)

Closed-end funds and OEICs
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Lowland Investment Company plc (LWI)

Postby BullDog » July 28th, 2023, 7:57 pm

Interested in member's views regarding Lowland Investment Company LWI. Decent yield around 5% at today's share price. Decent record of growing dividend year on year. Presently around 10% discount to NAV. Same management as one of my favourite Investment Trusts, Henderson and Foll (LWDB which I have about 15% total portfolio invested in).

But.... it's looking like a serial inderperformer losing money even over a 5 year period. Contrast that with Henderson and Foll's achievements at Law Debenture. Chalk and cheese. LWI looks stuffed with usual suspect UK dividend stocks which are more attractive to buy at a 10% discount. I suppose?

Questor in The Telegraph today reminded me to take a look at LWI and he rates it in their Investment Trust portfolio.

I'd like to like LWI, but I can't see the reason for LWI underperforming so much for so long when holding usual suspect shares. It doesn't even beat it's own benchmark FTSE All Share.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Mainwaring
Lemon Pip

Re: Lowland Investment Company plc (LWI)

Postby Mainwaring » May 14th, 2024, 12:48 pm

Just brought your Q/Observation up following an initial purchase this morning to see what discussions have taken place here. Very quiet then.
Since July 2023 nothing much has happened, the same comments apply, except the discount is a little bigger, recent quarterlies have been growing again, and the SP seems to have recovered to its previous high, albeit of 5 years ago. Decent run up recently in line with the market. I’ve not gone mad, just about 1.5% position, but it came up top on my unscientific UK All Share tilting list as opposed to topping up CTY, FGT, EDIN, TMPL, or an ETF. Hopeful it will grind higher as it’s tilted to UK financials and industrials, lower rate coming, balance sheets in reasonable health, PE of constituents is c10x, 6 bids in the market (I think)…..

Mainwaring
Lemon Pip

Re: Lowland Investment Company plc (LWI)

Postby Mainwaring » May 14th, 2024, 12:51 pm

Just noted 761 looks by Lemonfools, 1 of which is mine, since July 2023, ANY MORE VIEWS out there?

Return to “Investment Trusts and Unit Trusts”