Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Dopesick on BBC iplayer

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Dopesick on BBC iplayer

Postby bluedonkey » May 21st, 2024, 10:46 am

This is a dramatisation of the Sackler opioid scandal in the USA. Eight episodes of 1 hour each. I watched the first three episodes in one sitting but could easily have carried on. Highly recommended.

Based on the non-fiction book Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America. From Wikipedia:

"Dopesick focuses on "the epicenter of America's struggle with opioid addiction" across the U.S., on how individuals and families are affected by it, on the alleged conflicts of interest involving Purdue Pharma and various government agencies such as the Food and Drug Administration and the United States Department of Justice, and finally, on the legal case against Purdue Pharma and their development, testing and marketing of the drug OxyContin."

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Dopesick on BBC iplayer

Postby Redmires » May 21st, 2024, 7:45 pm

It's on the Humax, ready to binge watch. I'm glad you've given it a good review. Another case of the rich & powerful getting away with murder, literally

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dopesick on BBC iplayer

Postby bluedonkey » May 27th, 2024, 9:57 am

I've now watched all 8 episodes. It's harrowing (drug addiction), depressing (corporate power destroying lives), but very entertaining. Michael Keaton is always watchable and here he's doesn't disappoint. His character is Dr Finnix working in small town Appalachia. The acting generally is very good throughout.

The modus operandi of the Sackler family is one that crops up elsewhere. Fund and massively promote fringe science.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”