Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

The Tubes

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

The Tubes

Postby DiamondEcho » February 19th, 2017, 6:10 pm

The Tubes - White Punks On Dope - 6/1/1975 - Winterland (Official)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIy71ql8PYU

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Re: The Tubes

Postby Paultry » February 26th, 2017, 10:19 pm

Thanks for the memories.................

Talk to ya later was number 1 in Southern California 1981 when I lived there. Tubes were a great antidote to life. Paul

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » February 28th, 2017, 3:03 pm

They were a band of a type that combined performance with... almost visual theatre and/or humour. Zappa might come into that grouping. But for humour consider bands like Bad Manners, I can't see such eccentric humour [of sorts] having the capacity to chart these days.

- Must have been fascinating to be on the West Coast in '81! Perhaps Wall of Voodoo crossed your radar too :)

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Postby Paultry » February 28th, 2017, 10:21 pm

Funny you mention Zappa. Another of my loves, not just Peaches en Regalia but Dirty Love and the stuff that poodle got on with. Moving to Montana is often playing in my head, different version of tinnitus. I have many of the vinyls in the loft, can you believe I even got Japanese pressings of some stuff because it was allegedly so superior. Still have the Shure V15 cartridge.

I lived in Germany from 77' before the USA. I saw Zappa in Munich in May 80' excellent show. I also got within a few meters of those missiles primed to go from Germany off East. And I really mean they were ready, like 120 seconds, or so the guys claimed.

Then there was Echo and the Bunnymen.................................

Paul

droopsnoot

Postby droopsnoot » March 2nd, 2017, 12:05 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Perhaps Wall of Voodoo crossed your radar too :)

I am amazed someone else has heard of WoV, everyone else just gives me blank looks. I bought a German compilation album for my once-big Stranglers collection, this had two WoV tracks on it, I'd never heard of them before, but I really liked those tracks, in particular Call of the Wild. I did manage to get hold of some other tracks but have to say I've never listened to them - it's about time I had a change in the car so maybe I'll pick some of them out.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 2nd, 2017, 1:49 pm

droopsnoot wrote:I am amazed someone else has heard of WoV, everyone else just gives me blank looks. I bought a German compilation album for my once-big Stranglers collection, this had two WoV tracks on it, I'd never heard of them before, but I really liked those tracks, in particular Call of the Wild. I did manage to get hold of some other tracks but have to say I've never listened to them - it's about time I had a change in the car so maybe I'll pick some of them out.

I expect they're memorable for me as my father went to some trouble to get me the record. It's likely I first heard it in 1982/1983 on the John Peel Show and liked it. The track perhaps now sounds a bit 'clunky' but it was very different and interesting back in the day IME. Anyway my father was on a business trip to New York and asked if there was anything I wanted, and I replied the WoV single on 12" vinyl. I wonder what the shop assistant thought when this older/polite Brit walked in asking for new-wave/alt track, on 12" no less :lol:
All of my records from before I left home for uni are still in my parents loft untouched for c33 years, and since I've been abroad so much of that I haven't seen them in all those year. But apparently they're still there; going to be quite a time-warp getting them back in my possession in c18 months time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Radio

droopsnoot

Postby droopsnoot » March 3rd, 2017, 11:53 am

Ah, that's the other track that was on my compilation. And I think I meant "Call of the West" rather than "Wild". I used to buy imports from Adrians at Wickford, but probably more like mid-80s onwards. I think I'm right in saying there's almost no WoV stuff on CD, or last time I looked I couldn't see any. Much like another band that I quite liked - Furniture - who were well-known for "Brilliant Mind" but had some much better stuff IMO on their album, but it's getting a bit crackly now.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » March 3rd, 2017, 1:03 pm

I used to buy some vinyl from Adrians too. Haven't heard that name mentioned in years. Mind you I haven't heard that Furniture song in decades! Interestingly that track was released on Stiff Records, a label I've long had an interest in. If you're on Facebook you can Add them there and some interesting posts/rarities crop up and get discussed from time to time.

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » March 4th, 2017, 12:15 am

DiamondEcho wrote:I used to buy some vinyl from Adrians too.

It's still there. :) http://www.adriansrecords.co.uk/

Adrian
(No relation, although I have passed it in the recent past. And I do have some records as well. :lol: )

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”