Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Falling for Figaro

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Falling for Figaro

Postby nimnarb » February 19th, 2024, 4:05 am

A very successful fund manager gives up her well paying job to follow her dream and become an Opera Singer.

Another one of those "Nice and Gentle" films,(Netflix I believe) that only come around once every few years or so, and this time, with some great Opera thrown in. 9/10 for me. Predictable, of course, but I'm soppy that way, and just loved it all. Brilliant all round. Oh, and Joanna Lumley steals the show.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Falling for Figaro

Postby Dod101 » February 19th, 2024, 8:45 am

OK. Any links?

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 19th, 2024, 9:20 am

I can't find any trace of this film in my usual hire service, so I'm guessing it is only available to the favoured ones who feed the US almost-non-UK-tax paying corporations.

Correct my if I'm wrong, but I haven't found this in general circulation.

Arbv.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 19th, 2024, 9:44 am

It's available on a fruit service that keeps the doctor away and flixnet

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 19th, 2024, 10:18 am

Just watch will give you the options for wherever you are...
Here for the UK:
https://www.justwatch.com/uk/movie/falling-for-figaro

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 19th, 2024, 11:52 am

servodude wrote:Just watch will give you the options for wherever you are...
Here for the UK:

Thanks for the link which looks useful.

Basically then, this film is out of bounds for people like me who have so far refused to deal with these corporate joyriders. They not only pay little in UK tax, but worse, lure away talent trained at the expense of the BBC and other UK based and hard pressed arts institutions.

Arb.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 19th, 2024, 3:45 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
servodude wrote:Just watch will give you the options for wherever you are...
Here for the UK:

Thanks for the link which looks useful.

Basically then, this film is out of bounds for people like me who have so far refused to deal with these corporate joyriders. They not only pay little in UK tax, but worse, lure away talent trained at the expense of the BBC and other UK based and hard pressed arts institutions.

Arb.

Arb, corporate joyriders sounds a bit hard. How much tax did the BBC pay? I know they were doing special deals so individuals could be companies so as to reduce their tax. So it would be nice to see a comparison of income, profit and tax between them.

I also think its against the rules to stop people working for other organisations just because they were trained by the BBC. We might be able to keep some doctors and nurses though so that idea might have merit. Who, out of interest in Falling for Figaro was trained by the BBC?

Personally I see the BBC as the ones that rip us off with forced high charges not to even watch them and that they make it almost impossible to cancel, even when you are dead. I struggle to find anything worth watching on the BBC, The English was good but that was a while back now. Unfortunately The Repair Shop, Flog It and RuPauls Drag Race doesn't do it for me. Pay per view for the BBC works for me although I think it would upset you as it would go out of business without me subsidising it and as most people wouldn't pay.

They have to twist your arm and threaten fines and prison to get you to pay. I will leave you to come up with another name other than corporate joyriders. Hopefully there is a funny one that wont get moderated for swear words :D

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 19th, 2024, 5:43 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
Arb, corporate joyriders sounds a bit hard. How much tax did the BBC pay? I know they were doing special deals so individuals could be companies so as to reduce their tax. So it would be nice to see a comparison of income, profit and tax between them.

I also think its against the rules to stop people working for other organisations just because they were trained by the BBC. We might be able to keep some doctors and nurses though so that idea might have merit. Who, out of interest in Falling for Figaro was trained by the BBC?

Personally I see the BBC as the ones that rip us off with forced high charges not to even watch them and that they make it almost impossible to cancel, even when you are dead. I struggle to find anything worth watching on the BBC, The English was good but that was a while back now. Unfortunately The Repair Shop, Flog It and RuPauls Drag Race doesn't do it for me. Pay per view for the BBC works for me although I think it would upset you as it would go out of business without me subsidising it and as most people wouldn't pay.

They have to twist your arm and threaten fines and prison to get you to pay. I will leave you to come up with another name other than corporate joyriders. Hopefully there is a funny one that wont get moderated for swear words :D

It sounds like you and I would never agree over this, so we would only bat the ball between us. As regards British institutions like the BBC losing people to the American thuggernauts: I find it ironic that people often compain about the high salaries the BBC pays, but then these people leave and receive far more from other organisations. DOH!

I find there is normally more than enough to watch on BBC even now when successive governments have starved them of finance so they can no longer make so many of the fine programs they were famous four. Now we have a whole BBC channel which is reduced to very little more than repeats.
The cost of the BBC on my purse is very reasonable, and from what I see of subscriptions services quite a bargain. Another problem with the latter is the thought that you may like some things on one service and a some things on another, so one would end up paying out twice, in effect.

At present, as regards movies, I rent them all from Cinemaparadiso - a British based company which supplies most of the DVDs I would like to see - except for difficulties with the miscreants at Nexflix, Amazon etc.

My available entertainment options would have to get substantially worse before I subscribe to Amazon or Netflix - or indeed buy anything from Amazon at all, or Starbucks and Pret a Manger. And of course, there are many local options for entertainment - cinemas, theatres, concert halls plus books bought from the charity shops or Rotary Club stall every Saturday. There really is no need to deal with the pirates - there's even brilliant stuff on BBC radio every day of the week, thrown in as an extra.

Wherever possible, and unless I simply have no choice, I buy from a local company or shop in a nearby town or failing that a UK company. The other high street wreckers can go hang as far as I'm concerned.

Arb.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » February 19th, 2024, 5:56 pm

Sorry about that, y'all. Naturally presumed with Lumley on board, you would have it there, plus it's a few years old now, but if you see it in a bargain DVD bin somewhere or even can rent for a few pennies, just get it.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » February 19th, 2024, 7:06 pm

What am I missing here, just saw that link provided by another poster and I believe it clearly shows that you have it on Netflix (as I originally presumed in the UK) or is it that just you Arb,(and perhaps some others) don't partake in a subscription with them?

So, can you see it on Netflix UK or not?

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 19th, 2024, 7:46 pm

nimnarb wrote:What am I missing here, just saw that link provided by another poster and I believe it clearly shows that you have it on Netflix (as I originally presumed in the UK) or is it that just you Arb,(and perhaps some others) don't partake in a subscription with them?

So, can you see it on Netflix UK or not?

I think you can see it if you have a Netflix subscription. I take it to be a good film, but I don't have a Netflix subscription, nor am I planning to get one.

If I miss things which sound good, that's life, but hardly important to me. And when you say "some" others - it's probably a good many others.

Arb.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 19th, 2024, 8:21 pm

It's available on Netflix in the UK.

I think it might be cheaper than a TV Licence and you can cancel when you want, move to another service with programs you want to watch then switch or cancel again as you see fit or if you are away for a length of time.

We might not agree but if you are happy with the BBC that's great for you. I don't know how much they used to earn but £5Bn isn't small change. Then again they can't afford the free licenses for the oldies so something is up somewhere.

I've watched the trailer now, it might be worth a watch...... Unless there is another BBC program on its 11th repeat in a month. :o

Hopefully I can send them last year's cheque :D

Steveam
Lemon Slice

Postby Steveam » February 19th, 2024, 9:01 pm

I’ve just watched on Netflix in the U.K. Very much enjoyed the whole film. Lumley is a treat and the opera arias a little added joy. I thank the OP for drawing this film to my attention.

Best wishes, Steve

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » February 19th, 2024, 10:43 pm

Gerry557 wrote:It's available on Netflix in the UK.

I think it might be cheaper than a TV Licence and you can cancel when you want, move to another service with programs you want to watch then switch or cancel again as you see fit or if you are away for a length of time.

We might not agree but if you are happy with the BBC that's great for you. I don't know how much they used to earn but £5Bn isn't small change. Then again they can't afford the free licenses for the oldies so something is up somewhere.

I've watched the trailer now, it might be worth a watch...... Unless there is another BBC program on its 11th repeat in a month. :o

Hopefully I can send them last year's cheque :D

As I remember it, it was the Government that axed the finance to pay the oldies licence. So blame the Tories for that.
As for taking out subscriptions and then cancelling - frankly, it's hardly worth the bother. There are more interesting things in life than to make more complications just to watch a movie.

One side effect of all this is the guests coming on Graham Norton. This year, it seems more than ever full of people I've never heard of - I think they come from these new channels. So called "famous" or "fabulous" actors who are nobodies from my POV because they are not part of the mainstream movie industry.

It's becoming a very strange world, and very divided because of all this choice - choice to become estranged from each other because it is so fragmented.

Arb.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 19th, 2024, 11:03 pm

Arborbridge wrote: I think they come from these new channels. So called "famous" or "fabulous" actors who are nobodies from my POV because they are not part of the mainstream movie industry.

I think we need to accept that Netflix ARE very much part of the mainstream movie industry

"Roma" was the first movie they produced that was nominated for Best Picture at those Oscars things, there was a bit of a hoohah about it, and I think there have been a few since

So while they are not part of the historical movie industry they are mainstream

EDIT: found a list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accolades_received_by_Netflix

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 20th, 2024, 3:13 pm

Ive opened a new thread on the BBC issues rather than clog up Falling for Figaro which seems to get some reasonable scores.

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=42488&p=648089#p648089

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 21st, 2024, 4:42 pm

Mrs LTB and I watched it last night. Thumbs up from both of us, so thanks Nimnarb for the recommendation! Leo

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”