Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Two interesting videos

including Budgets
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Two interesting videos

Postby GeoffF100 » November 25th, 2023, 7:24 pm

"13 Years of Economic Decline - Is Conservative Government to Blame?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGYldzd9NsA

I think it is fair to say that to a large degree they are responsible.

"Could a new Labour Government Reverse UK Economic Decline?":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_uMuV_-j3s&t=3s

I think his verdict is yes principle, but probably not in practice. Difficult times.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Two interesting videos

Postby Urbandreamer » November 25th, 2023, 11:17 pm

ARGH!

The first starts with the phrase "post war economy" but starts his graph at the the start of the gulf war. OK, fair enough, IF you specify the war! Otherwise it is assumed to be WWII, didn't he know that! Later he goes back to 94. WHY? Why rewind beyond the start of his argument? Then minutes later he shows a graph ACTUALLY starting at the end of WWII! What is happening here? He talked about "austerity" in modern times but is now covering the Thatcher era, which he doesn't seem to know existed! Then he talks about the austerity era with a graph pointing to today! Of course it starts after Thatcher, DESPITE her austerity and conservative rule.

At about half way through I was giving up the will to make it through. SURE he makes some VERY obvious points. But he doesn't seem to know, or accept any historical facts. Then at that point he starts claiming knowledge of the future!

Now the second link.

Many, valid, complaints about the current government. Talk of copying protectionist policies that the US is adopting. Talk of paying for a battery plant (for those who don't know this is a direct result of Brexit, much talked of in the first video). Carbon taxes, dare I question the concept of taxing everything? It's obviously the solution, rather than competition. Doesn't the wind blow free? OH now he is actually back to 1945, as in after the war that I though he might of meant in the first link. Now he talks about debt, assuming that interest rates have nothing to do with ability to repay. Then he gets on to the future.

He keeps going on about Brexit, when he talks about how we can change our future, or current position. It's just something that either party has to deal with!

Sorry. I feel that I just wasted 20 min listening to him.

He seems to either think that the past has no baring, or no baring to his arguments.
I do have to say that I didn't think that either were "interesting", or specifically that the second had any merit.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » November 26th, 2023, 9:19 am

I thought that he put his point of view over clearly, and it is point of view that is shared by many economists. I believe that it is fair to say that the country is in a mess. He floats some possible measures to improve matters. It is not at all clear that they would work, but half hearted moves are already being made in that direction. Nonetheless, as he says, they are not likely to amount to much with the next government.

vand
Lemon Slice

Postby vand » November 26th, 2023, 9:33 am

the channel is good for A-level economics where you have to write a convincing 2000 word essay that fits a Keynsian model; not so good for real life understanding of how an economy works.

Return to “The Economy”