Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Outlook.com permissions for iPad - help, please

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Outlook.com permissions for iPad - help, please

Postby Jonetc15 » January 23rd, 2017, 3:12 pm

I posted a question on the Computer board at viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2639. As nobody was able to answer it and I really will appreciate some help, I'm taking the considerable liberty of asking my question again on this board, as follows:

"I want to access my outlook.com email account on my iPad, but after typing my outlook email address and password I have received the following message:

iOS needs your permission to:

*Sync your emails, contacts, calendar and tasks, and send emails
*Access your info at any time
*Sign you in
*View your basic profile

You can change these application permissions at any time in your account settings.
Yes/No

I will be most grateful for advice as to just what this involves, in particular permission to 'Access your info at any time'. Once I set this up can I delete that permission in my account settings?"

Very many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Jon

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Outlook.com permissions for iPad - help, please

Postby Slarti » January 23rd, 2017, 3:42 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:
I will be most grateful for advice as to just what this involves, in particular permission to 'Access your info at any time'. Once I set this up can I delete that permission in my account settings?"

The cynic in me says that yes you can change it, but that by the time you do Apple will have hovered up all of your personal details, from your Outlook.com account so that they can sell them.

But then that probably won't be anything that you haven't already given them by having an Apple phone.

An interesting use of the word "need"

Slarti

Dod1010
Lemon Quarter

Postby Dod1010 » January 23rd, 2017, 4:20 pm

I recently set up my Ipad for mail and what I was told when I sought to use Outlook (which I do not use on my desktop) was that I needed a Microsoft account. I set one up and again went into Outlook. I needed my email address and password and hey presto, done. I know nothing of permissions and so on and am basically a technophobe so if I can do it...........

Dod

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 23rd, 2017, 8:33 pm

"The cynic in me says that yes you can change it, but that by the time you do Apple will have hovered up all of your personal details, from your Outlook.com account so that they can sell them.

But then that probably won't be anything that you haven't already given them by having an Apple phone.
"

Many thanks, Slarti for that comment (and to Dod for your reply).

In all seriousness I ask whether there is an alternative to the iPad that you can recommend, because I'm desparate to find a simple way for my technophobic wife to learn to receive and send emails.

Jon

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 23rd, 2017, 8:48 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:In all seriousness I ask whether there is an alternative to the iPad that you can recommend, because I'm desparate to find a simple way for my technophobic wife to learn to receive and send emails.

The iPad is ideal for that, and probably more secure than most other alternatives.

Scott.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 24th, 2017, 9:58 am

Jonetc15 wrote:In all seriousness I ask whether there is an alternative to the iPad that you can recommend, because I'm desparate to find a simple way for my technophobic wife to learn to receive and send emails.

If she is coping with the iPad, I'd certainly stick with it as others require more work to secure.

Why Outlook.com on an iPad that probably came with Gmail?

Slarti

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » January 24th, 2017, 11:51 am

I would agree with the earlier posters. iPads are the best machines for novices. Nothing is easier to use, smoother, or more secure.

People can argue endlessly about whether their superiority is worth the (substantial) price premium. But I do still think they are unquestionably "the best".

On your basic question I would say this. You have already surrendered all your life's info to one demon (Microsoft) by choosing outlook.com. So worrying about a second demon (Apple) getting the same info is a bit late ;) Yes, you can delete mail accounts from an iPad. But as already mentioned, Apple will have already hoovered up all the useful information anyway.

(And before someone says it, no, I don't think the 3rd demon, google, is any better. Indeed, probably the worst of the 3 because unlike the 2 aforementioned demons, google survive on advertising and need to profile you to optimise that revenue)

gryff

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 24th, 2017, 5:05 pm

Very many thanks for the further replies. I'll rethink outlook.com, but I can't see that gmail.com is obviously superior. Very reassured by positive comments about iPad's security etc. (One misunderstanding, my fault no doubt - my wife hasn't yet started to use the iPad. I'm doing all that I can to encourage her.)

ATB

Jon

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 24th, 2017, 5:14 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:Very many thanks for the further replies. I'll rethink outlook.com, but I can't see that gmail.com is obviously superior.

I think in your circumstances (technophobic wife etc.), if you're going to use the iPad then you should stick as much as possible to Apple/IOS apps, like the basic Email app* you get included, plus Safari for browsing etc.

It's possible to use alternative apps from Google etc., but you're always going to be fighting against the system to some extent, and you probably don't need that.

* - this doesn't preclude you from using other email providers like outlook.com, but stick to the native iPad app.

Scott.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 25th, 2017, 12:15 pm

…you should stick as much as possible to Apple/IOS apps, like the basic Email app* you get included, plus Safari for browsing etc.

Very many thanks Scott for your interest and help. It is certainly my lack of IT skills in saying that, but my iPad (when I tap the email icon) offers Google, Yahoo, AOL and Outlook.com. I haven’t tried using the option “Other”, so am I right in thinking that this is the route to the basic Apple/IOS app which you advise using? It offers the facility to create a new account .

I use Safari exclusively for the Internet (especially for logging on to BT Internet.com, AOL or Outlook), but will change to “Other” for all emails if this is what you are suggesting. I apologise for such a basic lack of know-howas to my iPad which I am still learning to use… The “Other” option will greatly simplify matters and will especially help my wife. Thank you again.

Jon

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 25th, 2017, 12:53 pm

Scott - a P.S. If I use the Apple email, can I access this from my p.c. and/or laptop using Windows 7?

TIA

Jon

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 25th, 2017, 1:06 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:my iPad (when I tap the email icon) offers Google, Yahoo, AOL and Outlook.com. I haven’t tried using the option “Other”, so am I right in thinking that this is the route to the basic Apple/IOS app which you advise using? It offers the facility to create a new account .

No, that's not what I mean. I mean simply that you use the email icon provided, and don't install a 3rd party app.

If your email provider is Outlook.com (and I got the impression that it was) then select Outlook.com and carry on from there.

Scott.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » January 25th, 2017, 10:03 pm

Many thanks Scott - sorry be so IT-challenged!

ATB

Jon

Return to “Does anyone know?”