Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Evri couriers - really that bad?

Straight answers to factual questions
Forum rules
Direct questions and answers, this room is not for general discussion please
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Evri couriers - really that bad?

Postby stevensfo » February 29th, 2024, 3:51 pm

I ordered something for my sister last year and unfortunately did it on my phone while travelling.

Although it was to be picked up from Boots, I think that a firm called Evri was an option.

I then had 3-4 scam emails pretending to be Evri. I did a few internet searches and discovered that they changed their name from Hermes, a common procedure when you've been shown to be unreliable and dishonest.

Now I've received similar emails after ordering from an online store.

Are they really that bad? Anyone heard of them or had something delivered?

Steve

PS It also made me realise that we don't always pay attention to how a package will be sent. It's getting to point where I only trust Amazon! Surely, an online store should state which courrier they will use?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Evri couriers - really that bad?

Postby DrFfybes » February 29th, 2024, 4:04 pm

I'm confused - if they are Scam emails what have they got to do with Evri?

Niksen
Lemon Pip

Postby Niksen » February 29th, 2024, 4:12 pm

stevensfo wrote:Are they really that bad?

Yes they are. However their well deserved reputation for poor service will be completely unrelated to the scam emails you received, as it is simply the scammers know that a lot of companies use them and thus their scam email is likely to hit home.

As for the poor service, it is because Evri couriers are self-employed and are paid around 40p per package delivered.

However it is not only the low amount they are paid which means that they are not taking any time at all with the delivery, because they are self-employed Evri allows them to sub-contract that delivery, or the sub-contractors to sub-contract, etc.

Thus at the end of the day that is why you get someone in a beaten up old diesel estate car stuffed full of parcels throwing them over your fence and moving onto the next delivery.

Then because Evri know that their delivery network is an utter mess, then they make it impossible for those receiving parcels to contact them.

stevensfo wrote:PS It also made me realise that we don't always pay attention to how a package will be sent. It's getting to point where I only trust Amazon! Surely, an online store should state which courrier they will use?

Amazon's delivery service can be as bad, as they also allow sub-contracting for some delivery routes, but at least Amazon has the locker, Post Office, and convenience store pick up options.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » February 29th, 2024, 4:13 pm

I can't speak for scam emails, but Evri are the worst of the bunch that I've experienced. The genuine emails I receive are normally of the type 'we have your package and it will be delivered on .....' followed by another one a day or two later saying 'we tried to deliver your package but you were not in' etc, which wasn't true. I've had packages arrive two weeks later than stated. On one occasion they included a photo supposedly showing my front door, it was actually a picture of a road surface (which wasn't even our road surface). Dreadful.

Having said that, I don't blame the courier guys who must be under extreme pressure and workloads. It's all down to the cowboys that run it.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 29th, 2024, 4:16 pm

DrFfybes wrote:I'm confused - if they are Scam emails what have they got to do with Evri?

Maybe I'm not using the right word. Scam, Spam, pishing? But they were from Evri, asking for lots of details, even though they were not involved. The lady in Boots seemed to know all about Evri.

I hadn't heard of them for a year until recently we sent our son, in London, a few birthday presents.

One is apparently at the mercy of EVRI.

They used to be HERMES.

Why on earth don't they state which courrier they will use?

Steve

PS Can I change my name as well? ;)

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » February 29th, 2024, 4:28 pm

stevensfo wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:I'm confused - if they are Scam emails what have they got to do with Evri?

Maybe I'm not using the right word. Scam, Spam, pishing? But they were from Evri, asking for lots of details, even though they were not involved.

Steve

If they were asking for details, and you got your goods from the store, I'd be pretty sure they were not from EVRI themselves. Can you paste an excerpt of one into a Google search and see what it returns? Also look at the 'from' address or the website it tries to send you to, anything legit from Evri will direct you to xxx.evri.com but you might get things like "Services@evricouriers.com" or evri.deliveries.com which are scams.

Look here for more info
https://www.evri.com/cyber-security

It could just be coincidence, MrsF used to laugh at Paypal phishing emails and then suddenly got worried when she got one after she'd opened a paypal account. I'm always amazed how many Amazon parcels I need to contact someone about to arrange redelivery, I hate to think how many there'd be if I actually had an Amazon account.

Paul

ps - why not?, it worked for Windscale.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 29th, 2024, 4:37 pm

stevensfo wrote:Are they really that bad? Anyone heard of them or had something delivered?

I had a package delivered by Evri today. Over the last couple of days I've had 3 or 4 emails from them keeping me informed of its journey.

No complaints.

Scott.

DeepSporran
Lemon Pip

Postby DeepSporran » February 29th, 2024, 4:47 pm

I think I must be very lucky. I frequently read about the terrible reputation of Evri delivery drivers but there are some exceptions - perhaps not many, I can’t tell.

The woman who delivers our Evri parcels drives a fairly ordinary car, not a beat up van. She is polite and friendly and has never resorted to chucking the item over the fence or popping it in the recycle bin. OK, it helps that we have always been at home when she delivers so I don’t how things would be handled if we were out.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » February 29th, 2024, 5:15 pm

DeepSporran wrote:I think I must be very lucky. I frequently read about the terrible reputation of Evri delivery drivers but there are some exceptions - perhaps not many, I can’t tell.

The woman who delivers our Evri parcels drives a fairly ordinary car, not a beat up van. She is polite and friendly and has never resorted to chucking the item over the fence or popping it in the recycle bin. OK, it helps that we have always been at home when she delivers so I don’t how things would be handled if we were out.

Our experience is similar. We order quite a few things from a couple of companies which use Evri. We have never had an issue but like DeepSporran, we have a very good local courier. He lives nearby and has been doing this round for several years. He started off using a small car then upgraded to a small white van.

We tend to be in when he delivers but know he will secrete it round the back if we are out. The Evri app is good, and we can track the parcels pretty well, and the emails giving a delivery time window are usually accurate.

Guess we are just lucky, and as is often the case, a company's reputation is very dependent on it's front line staff.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » February 29th, 2024, 5:40 pm

stevensfo wrote: Surely, an online store should state which courier they will use?

It probably said something like 'Other Courier'.

There was a long thread recently bemoaning the ills of Evri, if I could be bothered to look for it.

Depends entirely on your local Evri rep. Ours used to be great then she retired and her replacement was crap now the new guy seems to be OK.
Even Royal Mail have become crap, can't be posteriored to walk up the steps so he leaves the packages by our postbox down in the lane.
Going to the dogs mumble mutter.

As Niksen said, pay peanuts get birdbrains.

V8

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » February 29th, 2024, 5:48 pm

viewtopic.php?p=615207#p615207

57 posts on nEvri again !

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 2nd, 2024, 12:44 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
Maybe I'm not using the right word. Scam, Spam, pishing? But they were from Evri, asking for lots of details, even though they were not involved.

Steve

If they were asking for details, and you got your goods from the store, I'd be pretty sure they were not from EVRI themselves. Can you paste an excerpt of one into a Google search and see what it returns? Also look at the 'from' address or the website it tries to send you to, anything legit from Evri will direct you to xxx.evri.com but you might get things like "Services@evricouriers.com" or evri.deliveries.com which are scams.

Look here for more info
https://www.evri.com/cyber-security

It could just be coincidence, MrsF used to laugh at Paypal phishing emails and then suddenly got worried when she got one after she'd opened a paypal account. I'm always amazed how many Amazon parcels I need to contact someone about to arrange redelivery, I hate to think how many there'd be if I actually had an Amazon account.

Paul

ps - why not?, it worked for Windscale.

Re. Paypal, that was the only time that I got caught by a scam email, approx 15 years ago. I was in a hurry and saw an email asking me to check my details and change my password. I did it without thinking. Then I realised the next day that.... Anyway, I logged in and changed the password again before any harm was done. At that time, it was set up so I needed funds in the account, so they couldn't have got much if they tried. ;)

The trouble is that it's making us all so paranoid and suspicious that I tend to delete emails that may be genuine.

True story: Our IT guys have for years tried to make us aware of cyber crime and warned about clicking on links within the email.

Their next email contained links to click on for more info! :lol:

I have just received an email from one of my banks that looks like a scam, but I know that it isn't. How the hell do we survive all this bullsh*t?

Answers on a postcard please to....

Steve

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » March 2nd, 2024, 12:59 pm

We had a penetration test done at work. A spoofed email purporting to be from the IT manager with instructions to follow a link to add details to a google document was sent to a sample of staff, guys turning up and walking the site, it was quite interesting. The unauthorised visitors were quickly stopped and challenged but a worrying percentage of staff followed the links and had their passwords compromised. Does it make you paranoid, risks legitimate communications being called as spoofs? Sure. Years ago my chum had his wallet and identity stolen, money taken form his bank account and months of hassle to unwrap so perhaps the paranoia is justified.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » March 3rd, 2024, 8:54 am

well I agree with the posters above who have had great service from EVRI...they guy that delivers to me is friendly, polite and good fu to have a brief chat with. he also has a modern estate car
so definitely no complaints from me about EVRI

yes i get spoof emails as well but generally speaking one knows if a delivery is expected

(I suppose those who buy buy buy and lose track of what and where they ordered might get caught...but!!

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 3rd, 2024, 9:28 am

It is clearly a matter of luck. If you have a regular Evri delivery driver who provides a good service then you are indeed lucky. I am in that position.
Unfortunately the business model of Evri creates the situation where you could be lucky or very unlucky...not great.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » March 3rd, 2024, 12:05 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:well I agree with the posters above who have had great service from EVRI...they guy that delivers to me is friendly, polite and good fu to have a brief chat with. he also has a modern estate car
so definitely no complaints from me about EVRI

yes i get spoof emails as well but generally speaking one knows if a delivery is expected

(I suppose those who buy buy buy and lose track of what and where they ordered might get caught...but!!

But what?

I'm one of those who "buy buy buy's.

I buy pretty much everything my business need by internet mail order. I get one, two or three deliveries of boiler parts, tools, stationery and other stuff almost every day. My inbox is overflowing with genuine and meaningless borderline junkmails from firms like Evri telling me "We have your package and will deliver it on Thursday". Some identify the sender, many don't. The emails are less than useless! Interlaced with them is the odd fraudmail wanting me to phone about "your delivery'.

I generally notice when something I ordered does not arrive as I ordered it because I need it!

Rant over... :)

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » March 3rd, 2024, 1:20 pm

kempiejon wrote:We had a penetration test done at work. A spoofed email purporting to be from the IT manager with instructions to follow a link to add details to a google document was sent to a sample of staff, guys turning up and walking the site, it was quite interesting. The unauthorised visitors were quickly stopped and challenged but a worrying percentage of staff followed the links and had their passwords compromised. Does it make you paranoid, risks legitimate communications being called as spoofs? Sure. Years ago my chum had his wallet and identity stolen, money taken form his bank account and months of hassle to unwrap so perhaps the paranoia is justified.

I recently had an email from IT at work saying my password was on a list of known passwords so I must change it immediately. I was certain it was genuine, but before I did anything I emailed IT with a copy of the email to ask if it was genuine.

Grumpsimus
2 Lemon pips

Postby Grumpsimus » March 4th, 2024, 11:24 am

I am another who gets good service from Evri, our local delivery man is always pleasant and rings the bell! Royal Mail is also good.

I am surprised that people think Amazon is good, in my experience they are the worst of the lot. They fail to follow instructions, dump stuff on the doorstep at all hours and never ever ring the doorbell. I gave up buying anything from Amazon years ago, but unfortunately some other suppliers do use them for deliveries, although I always try to dissuade them if I can.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » March 4th, 2024, 1:04 pm

For some reason the Royal Mail here has been subject to a takeover by Nepalese workers. they are unfailingly smiley and polite, operate in all weathers and seem happy to take the heaviest bags up to the houses at the top of the local St Giles Hill without supplementary oxygen.

John

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 4th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Mike4 wrote:
I generally notice when something I ordered does not arrive as I ordered it because I need it!

You do realise you're not using the internet properly?

Paul

Return to “Does anyone know?”