Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Historic CCJ

Help and discussions for strategies to get out of debt
Omeydog

Historic CCJ

Postby Omeydog » February 11th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Some years ago my finances were in a real mess. They are in much better shape now. However my credit report shows a CCJ from July 2012. I had no idea who the claimant was so I emailed the court who have told me that it was United Utilities.

I still have an account with United Utilities and they are not chasing me for outstanding payment. So am I safe to assume that the CCJ has been satisfied? Or should I contact United Utilities before applying to the court for a Certificate of Satisfaction?

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Historic CCJ

Postby Clitheroekid » February 11th, 2017, 10:43 pm

Omeydog wrote:So am I safe to assume that the CCJ has been satisfied?

No. It does sometimes happen that having obtained a judgment a creditor doesn't bother to enforce it as it's not cost-effective, particularly if it's only for a small amount. There is therefore a risk that by bringing it to their attention they may decide to enforce it.

Or should I contact United Utilities before applying to the court for a Certificate of Satisfaction?

See above. But if you're sure the debt has actually been paid, then yes. As you don't appear to have any actual evidence that the debt was paid the court would write to UU anyway, for confirmation of payment, before they would issue the certificate.

If it's not actually causing you any problems it might be better to wait until July next year, at which point the CCJ will be deleted from the register anyway.

Omeydog

Re: Historic CCJ

Postby Omeydog » February 11th, 2017, 11:02 pm

Thanks ClitheroeKid,

The CCJ is for a few pounds over £1400 so I would have thought that they would consider it worthwhile enforcing. I have no idea if it has been paid or not but I do know that it is not marked as satisfied.

It has come to light because it is causing a problem. I am trying to get a mortgage. They are willing to lend despite the CCJ but only if it is satisfied.

Return to “Dealing with Debt”