Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Introduce Yourself and/or Ask About the Site

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Introduce Yourself and/or Ask About the Site

Postby stevensfo » August 6th, 2022, 10:14 pm

elfoolio wrote:Hello, I'm semi-literate at investing and looking to learn more here. Thanks to the guys running the site, there's a superabundance of things to read about here.

One specific thing I'm wondering is, what to do with the proceeds of a house sale if I have a gap between selling and buying (say six months or so)? I guess nothing is guaranteed to stay with inflation but what sort of options are the least bad? If there's another forum that's better to ask on, let me know! Thanks!

You have 6-month fixed rate savings bonds at 1.75%. 9 months at 2.0% https://www.youinvest.co.uk/cash-savings#list

Variable at 1.35% https://monzo.com/features/savings/

I guess it all depends on the context and your own circumstances. With inflation anywhere between 10 and 12%, those rates are peanuts any way.

Maybe stick some in savings and spend some on expensive stuff for the new house now, before inflation gets to work?

Steve

oakapple

Postby oakapple » September 29th, 2022, 11:34 am

Hello,
I would like to introduce myself by saying a big thank-you to all the posters on TLF and previously on TMF that have helped me with the development of my investment strategies and choices. My investment journey runs from the 1980s privatisations through building portfolios of shares, investment trusts and funds that now support my retirement. ITs form the core of my holdings alongside which I have a 30 share HYP, some VCTs and I have also experimented with a DIY AIM IHT portfolio. I am still learning. I still make mistakes but on the whole my experience has been good and my investments meet my retirement needs. I hope to be able to makes some small contributions to the discussions here.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » September 29th, 2022, 12:03 pm

Welcome Oakapple. We look forward to reading your future posts.

Clariman

SheldonT

Postby SheldonT » October 3rd, 2023, 2:29 pm

Hi all

I'm new to this site, have been lurking for a little while and reading lots of posts. I thought it was about time I posted so here seem liked a good place to start!

I'm in my early 50s and hoping to retire in four or five years time. Most of my investments these days are in investment trusts and I add more each month in both my ISA and SIPP with auto investment through ii. Will be planning to switch more to income generation as I approach retirement.

Sheldon.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 3rd, 2023, 5:31 pm

Welcome Sheldon

Clariman

MCMikey

Postby MCMikey » November 15th, 2023, 3:18 pm

Hello everyone,

After reading around for a short while and seeing the conversations, I have just registered so that I can take part.

I am mid-50s, with a late but increasing desire to be on top of my families future plans, now having time, a bit more money and the interest.

Regards

Mike

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 15th, 2023, 4:19 pm

MCMikey wrote:Hello everyone,

After reading around for a short while and seeing the conversations, I have just registered so that I can take part.

I am mid-50s, with a late but increasing desire to be on top of my families future plans, now having time, a bit more money and the interest.

Regards

Mike

Welcome to the site.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 15th, 2023, 9:11 pm

MCMikey wrote:Hello everyone,

Regards

Mike

Welcome, Mike. It's never too late to learn. Hopefully we can help you find the right path for you.

TJH

ExtraTime

Postby ExtraTime » December 27th, 2023, 7:02 am

Hello everyone

I have been an infrequent TMF user for 20 years and now recently retired I'm ever more keen to keep uptodate with unfiltered news and views on investments. I have a mix of DB, SIPP and ISA's for my retirement and have enjoyed investing since I was a teen when my father and I would enjoy Maggie's privatisation issues. I'm less about individual stocks these days and prefer to ponder portfolio construction using ETF's, with more of a macro-viewpoint. After 30 years in the City I have a rather cynical view of fund managers and pushers of individual shares - whenever human management intervenes risk arises and not necessarily with increased returns.

regs

ET

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Postby csearle » December 27th, 2023, 7:45 am

ExtraTime wrote:Hello everyone...
Hello! Welcome to The Lemon Fool :) Thanks for introducing yourself. Hope you are enjoying Christmas and quickly find your way around the site. Chris

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » December 27th, 2023, 8:40 am

ExtraTime wrote:Hello everyone

I have been an infrequent TMF user for 20 years and now recently retired I'm ever more keen to keep uptodate with unfiltered news and views on investments. I have a mix of DB, SIPP and ISA's for my retirement and have enjoyed investing since I was a teen when my father and I would enjoy Maggie's privatisation issues. I'm less about individual stocks these days and prefer to ponder portfolio construction using ETF's, with more of a macro-viewpoint. After 30 years in the City I have a rather cynical view of fund managers and pushers of individual shares - whenever human management intervenes risk arises and not necessarily with increased returns.

regs

ET

Welcome ET. I understand your feelings about fund managers, but I would have thought that 30 years in the city would have made you able to pick ordinary shares for yourself.

As a seeker after income, I found that my own thoughts had been following the HYP path for some years before it was formalized. It has performed well for me despite the odd hiccup. It does not rely on "pushers" of shares, they select themselves.

One final thought. Those who use tracker funds or ETFs are never likely to beat the market. Individual shares can and do. I keep records of the leaders and laggards among the shares which I hold, for each year. Last year's leaders are often next year's losers and vice versa. The overall effect can be to beat the market, especially if you are nominally equal weighted in your holdings. I set maximum weight limits for my holdings to avoid over reliance on any one share. It's all documented if you browse the various forums.

Good luck with your investing.

TJH

Karlito

Postby Karlito » January 7th, 2024, 2:43 pm

Hi,
I’m Karlito and new to the site.
I would like to ask for some advice and also give advice if needed.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » January 7th, 2024, 4:53 pm

Karlito wrote:Hi,
I’m Karlito and new to the site.
I would like to ask for some advice and also give advice if needed.

Welcome, Karlito.

Explore the site and look for the best places to ask for advice.

TJH

Return to “Welcome to the Lemon Fool (TLF)”