Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Gas and nuclear are green.

Green investment room for those with a green conscience or following environmental, social and governance (ESG) principles
88V8
Lemon Half

Gas and nuclear are green.

Postby 88V8 » January 6th, 2022, 9:19 am

According to the EU.
Nuclear energy and natural gas - as distinct from unnatural gas - are to be classified as green for investment purposes "It is necessary to recognise that the fossil gas and nuclear energy sectors can contribute to the decarbonisation of the Union's economy," the commission proposal says..

If ratified, this will become law as from 2023.
https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220101-eu-plans-to-class-nuclear-power-and-natural-gas-as-green-energy-sources

An, ahhh, interesting expansion in the potential scope of this Board.

V8

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Gas and nuclear are green.

Postby UncleEbenezer » January 6th, 2022, 10:08 am

I'm with them on nuclear. As are, I understand, some highly respected authorities such as Lovelock.

In fact it was the then-dominance of anti-nuclear nonsense that kept me from joining a then-mainstream green campaigning group back in the 1980s.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Postby daveh » January 6th, 2022, 1:10 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:I'm with them on nuclear. As are, I understand, some highly respected authorities such as Lovelock.

In fact it was the then-dominance of anti-nuclear nonsense that kept me from joining a then-mainstream green campaigning group back in the 1980s.

Yes I'm not sure what the problem with nuclear is for some dark greens. Yes waste is a problem and yes it has risks, but all those can be dealt with/mitigated. It is a way of producing low CO2 power without the problems of intermittency seen with some of the renewable methods. Whether it will turn out to be the best and cheapest method of producing low CO2 power into the future I don't know, but it shouldn't be ruled out for purely ideological reasons (or turned off before the end of the life of the power station for purely ideological reasons).

Calling gas green I have more difficulty with, though I can see reasons for requiring its use during a transition period.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » January 6th, 2022, 1:31 pm

Yes, nuclear seems a necessary evil. Low carbon for now, though leaving waste for tens of thousands of years is not "green", even though there are some ideas of how we might dispose of it.

The only true green approach to energy includes using less of the stuff, and to cease infinitely growing economies.

Wind and solar all have their problems. Resource use, injury to wildlife, the limited lifespan of components that are hard to recycle, as well as intermittency, with the need maybe for absolutely vast storage devices, which themselves don't sounds very friendly to the environment.

If we had a source of cheap pollution free energy (eg fusion), would that fix our problems? No: it would cause us to use more energy to cause more damage to our own habitat, by making more stuff, and releasing ever more pollutants from the things we make, using more finite resources.

While I am a private investor, as I've got older I'm increasingly sure that the pursuit of economic growth forever is the biggest problem, and hardest to stop.

Return to “Green Investing”