Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Would you take a refugee Ukrainanian family ?

Discuss all aspects of charitable giving - financial or volunteering.

Would you take a refugee Ukrainanian family into your home ?

Yes
36%
No
64%

Total votes: 50

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Would you take a refugee Ukrainanian family ?

Postby Gerry557 » March 16th, 2022, 6:56 am

The going back part might be difficult. Even if you have something to go back too.

Assuming the fighting is halted at some point soon, it will take years to rebuild. I can't see them wanting to go back to a ravaged city especially if they have drastic memories of the escape.

Still some people are more resilient then we give credit for.

The £350 scheme is per residence so might not work trying to put 2 or 3 lots in a vacant place. It does sound a bit more like it supports the "landlord" and I wouldn't want to be seen profiting off people's misery.

As for zoom schooling, it's hard to play football in the yard, meet new friends etc. I suspect they will speak more English than we will Ukrainian. I'm sure the kids will adapt much better than the adults.

The good news is over 90k have registered interest.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 16th, 2022, 8:50 am

We had a lot of discussion on this over the weekend, and in the end we decided we wouldn't take in Refugees.

MrsF had lodgers in the early days, and I've always had lodgers up until 5 years ago when I finally moved in with MrsF.

However as we're spending more time at home, and have spread our stuff around the house, we find we actually want the privacy and peace and quiet. Lockdown has been lovely, and the odd visitors we've had, mainly MrsF's London based friends with (to my mind) unusual expectations[1]) have been an intrusion.

Then there's the difference between a refugee and a lodger. You have them for 6 months, there is an obligation, the tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorist lodger lasted 10 long difficult weeks, mainly locked in his room. The financial and practical side is fine, but there will be a need for emotional support, something that was hard enough to do with our parents, and if we'd wanted to do that we would have bred. I've heard expectations of a young family with the father left behind, perhaps a grateful mother who would help around the place and someone who would walk the dog, but there is a pretty equal likelyhood that you will get a couple of pensioners who grew up before learning English became common. People who can't go back and help rebuild.

So for us, the help will be restricted to the practicalities, money to the Red Cross, local community support for any arriving in the village, and my brief dream of finally clearing 2 bedrooms of stuff that hasn't come out of the box since before we were married has gone.

Paul

[1] "Oh no, it HAS to be 300 thread count as a minimum in a B&B.... Are you sure there's no organic Oat milk in the village shop? - can't we send an Uber into town for some?"

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 16th, 2022, 4:31 pm

DrFfybes wrote:We had a lot of discussion on this over the weekend, and in the end we decided we wouldn't take in Refugees.

MrsF had lodgers in the early days, and I've always had lodgers up until 5 years ago when I finally moved in with MrsF.

However as we're spending more time at home, and have spread our stuff around the house, we find we actually want the privacy and peace and quiet. Lockdown has been lovely, and the odd visitors we've had, mainly MrsF's London based friends with (to my mind) unusual expectations[1]) have been an intrusion.

Then there's the difference between a refugee and a lodger. You have them for 6 months, there is an obligation, the tinfoil-hat conspiracy theorist lodger lasted 10 long difficult weeks, mainly locked in his room. The financial and practical side is fine, but there will be a need for emotional support, something that was hard enough to do with our parents, and if we'd wanted to do that we would have bred. I've heard expectations of a young family with the father left behind, perhaps a grateful mother who would help around the place and someone who would walk the dog, but there is a pretty equal likelyhood that you will get a couple of pensioners who grew up before learning English became common. People who can't go back and help rebuild.

So for us, the help will be restricted to the practicalities, money to the Red Cross, local community support for any arriving in the village, and my brief dream of finally clearing 2 bedrooms of stuff that hasn't come out of the box since before we were married has gone.

Paul

[1] "Oh no, it HAS to be 300 thread count as a minimum in a B&B.... Are you sure there's no organic Oat milk in the village shop? - can't we send an Uber into town for some?"

:lol: I don't think I could stand anyone like that for more than two minutes. I still remember the Catherine Tate 'Posh mum' character.

To be honest though, we all have our little habits. My wife cannot start the day without her organic yoghurt and fruit, while I tend to read the labels on everything and avoid sugar like the plague.

As for &^#$@!! vegans? Can't wait for the bbq season to start!! :D

Steve

quelquod
Lemon Quarter

Postby quelquod » March 16th, 2022, 8:41 pm

My wife and I discussed this for quite some time before deciding against. Whilst the government seems keen to vet prospective applicants for the scheme I’m very unsure what sort of vetting is possible in the confusion of the refugees themselves. I just can’t take the chance of dishonesty or violence and I’ve not even got the length of asking the views of my insurer, so a bit sadly we will be restricting ourselves to charitable giving.

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » March 17th, 2022, 11:32 am

Remember to consider disease risk.

Tuberculosis is one example and is rife in Ukraine and other ex-soviet states, with the drug resistant varieties a major problem.

The risk will have increased due to the hardship inflicted by the war.

https://www.euro.who.int/en/countries/ukraine/news/news/2021/3/world-tuberculosis-day-supporting-ukraine-in-scaling-up-tb-diagnosis-and-treatment

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 17th, 2022, 12:55 pm

anon155742 wrote:Remember to consider disease risk.

Tuberculosis is one example and is rife in Ukraine and other ex-soviet states, with the drug resistant varieties a major problem.

The risk will have increased due to the hardship inflicted by the war.

https://www.euro.who.int/en/countries/ukraine/news/news/2021/3/world-tuberculosis-day-supporting-ukraine-in-scaling-up-tb-diagnosis-and-treatment

I really don't know what to say; this is the charitable giving board
If I use an allegory or comparison of suitable strength I don't doubt it will be pulled :(

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Postby anon155742 » March 17th, 2022, 1:23 pm

servodude wrote:I really don't know what to say; this is the charitable giving board
If I use an allegory or comparison of suitable strength I don't doubt it will be pulled :(

It is also an investment forum. Risk is important and there has been copious discussion on medical risk over the past few years.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 17th, 2022, 2:01 pm

anon155742 wrote:
servodude wrote:I really don't know what to say; this is the charitable giving board. If I use an allegory or comparison of suitable strength I don't doubt it will be pulled :(

It is also an investment forum. Risk is important and there has been copious discussion on medical risk over the past few years.

I would like to think that any refugees who are admitted to the UK would first have a health check before they mix with the general population. Particularly if they are coming from a war zone where basic hygiene and medical care has ceased to be available.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 17th, 2022, 2:17 pm

Lootman wrote:I would like to think that any refugees who are admitted to the UK would first have a health check before they mix with the general population. Particularly if they are coming from a war zone where basic hygiene and medical care has ceased to be available.

A very good point, but whether that happens or not who knows :roll:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 17th, 2022, 2:23 pm

pje16 wrote:
Lootman wrote:I would like to think that any refugees who are admitted to the UK would first have a health check before they mix with the general population. Particularly if they are coming from a war zone where basic hygiene and medical care has ceased to be available.

There is also the point that DrFFybes made, that on an individual level you have no control over who you get. In theory these people should be incredibly appreciative of the sanctuary and shelter being given to them, and ensure that they help out and contribute as much as possible to the household.

But they may also be traumatised, scared, resentful, dishonest or who knows what? So it would be a lottery.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 17th, 2022, 6:19 pm

anon155742 wrote:
servodude wrote:I really don't know what to say; this is the charitable giving board

It is also an investment forum.

No it isn't. Have you actually read the keynote topic for this forum? Go on, make the effort. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=33534

BJ

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 17th, 2022, 6:33 pm

bungeejumper wrote:
anon155742 wrote:

It is also an investment forum.

No it isn't. Have you actually read the keynote topic for this forum? Go on, make the effort. viewtopic.php?f=108&t=33534

Fair point. However, normally charitable giving does not entail personal risk. When the "donation" goes beyond merely giving cash or donating items, to actually letting strangers move into your home, then some analysis and assessment of risk seems reasonable.

Taking in refugees is more akin to volunteering than charitable giving in the conventional sense of the word. My own preference would be to rent housing to people I choose and can get rid of, and then donate some of the profits to the cause.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 17th, 2022, 8:03 pm

pje16 wrote:

My experience working for an enormous Science park with their own Medical Centre mirrors a scene in 'Not Going Out'.

"Okay, you have to answer one or two questions. Are you in reasonable health?"

-- Er, yes.

"Fine, off you go then."

--But...

"Bye!" :lol:

Steve

Return to “Charitable Giving”