Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Savings rates getting competitive?

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Savings rates getting competitive?

Postby Gerry557 » September 4th, 2023, 3:30 pm

Laughton wrote:And now - Santander kicks off rate war with best easy-access savings deal in 14 years - paying 5.2%

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/banki ... est-rates/

Expect others to follow suit shortly.

I saw this elsewhere and just applied for an account. I don't have any banking with them. I was looking for monthly interest accounts. I opened a Shawbrook account last week and now this trumps it a bit. I'm becoming a rate tart. :shock:

At this rate it might be worth emptying my mortgage and use it to pay the lower rate interest and pocket the difference. :?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Savings rates getting competitive?

Postby stevensfo » September 4th, 2023, 3:37 pm

richfool wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
I have absolutely no idea why, but my applications for savings with Raisin were never accepted.

So I stick with my AJBell account which has 6% for 1 year. Though I generally go for the 2-year rates.

https://www.ajbell.co.uk/cash-savings#list

Steve

I read some reviews before I proceeded (with Raisin), and noticed that some applicants had had problems where they had used some of the newer online banks like Wise and Resolut(?) (as their feeder bank accounts). I was accepted OK (using my UK high street bank account), but then later I didn't proceed, because I didn't like that Raisin was rather like an intermediary and would be passing my details on to the other "banks" with whom the accounts would be opened. That also added a delay to transactions. There were also quite a number of moans about difficulties in contacting them by telephone and/or the responses that customers then got, and also about accessing funds upon the maturity of fixed term accounts.

I was also accepted by Raisin themselves and then applied for a fixed term savings bond, using an established bank. Why I was rejected is a mystery, since most of the banks that Raisin uses are the same as AJBell uses. So far, I never had a problem with AJBell or Monzo. However, I would never use the phone to contact them. Email, secure messaging or letter only.

I believe that Wise and Revolut are EMIs, not registered banks, so I can understand why some places may not accept them. The irony is that I have both and use them a lot! 8-)

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”