Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

PPI

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Jever

PPI

Postby Jever » February 5th, 2018, 7:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm probably way behind the rest of the field here, but having had numerous mortgages/other financial products over the years, I feel compelled to try to make sure that there isn't some money set aside by a bank to compensate for them having sold me PPI.

I know all of the loans/mortgages that I've had but don't have any of the account numbers/details. Consequently, when I contact the banks, they tell me that they can't help me without further information.

That makes sense to me, but every time I hear one of those annoying PPI adverts on the radio, all they need is my name. I'm reluctant to contact any of these claim companies, as I don't want to trust them with my details - nor do I want to share a large chunk of any potential claim with them.

So, my question is, what's the best way to see if I've had PPI if I no longer have account numbers/details? Has anyone here used one of these very friendly claims companies that seem to have almost inexhaustable funding for radio/tv advertising?

I apologise if this is in the wrong place, but there doesn't seem to be a PPI board.

Thanks in advance for any help

Jever

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: PPI

Postby bungeejumper » February 6th, 2018, 4:17 pm

DO NOT use the PPI checker firms, which will take a hefty rake-off from anything you receive. Just use the FCA's own PPI checker. https://www.fca.org.uk/ppi/?gclid=EAIaI ... gIBe_D_BwE It asks you a standardised set of questions, as distinct from all the banks' own online questionnaires, where the questions and the procedures may vary. But all they really need is your name, your address and any previous addresses that you think might be relevant to a claim.

I did it the hard way, and even that wasn't exactly difficult -it took me about 20 minutes to check with four banks. Google will help if a bank or a credit card has vanished (eg Egg is now part of Barclaycard). I had all my responses back within a week (three banks were as pure as driven snow, but Lloyds pleaded guilty), and I had somewhere around £2,500 in my bank account (after tax) within three weeks.

If it helps, the banks are not allowed to discriminate against you in future just because you've done a PPI check on them. ;) Good luck.

BJ

Devjon
2 Lemon pips

Postby Devjon » March 18th, 2018, 11:07 am

Hello, I'm a bit late in contributing to this thread but after I had read the original messages I went to the FCA site as advised by Bungeejumper and did a search.

My original Mortgage was with the Leeds Permanent Building Society back in the 1980's. I do not have any paperwork as all was lost during a move, and I had remortgaged with Nationwide in the early 1990's.

I received a claim form from Halifax a couple of weeks ago with a detailed form to complete. Not having any information about the original mortgage ( apart from the address of the property ) I put it to one side. I was just about to shred and recycle the form when I noticed the covering letter had a "Our Reference PPI......." and underneath that a "Mortgage Reference Number A/26......./7

This makes me wonder if they have my details, and how to proceed ( the covering letter asks that the form be returned within 14 days, these days have now elapsed )

I'm not sure how to proceed and wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Devjon

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » March 18th, 2018, 10:29 pm

Devjon wrote:I'm not sure how to proceed and wondered if anyone has been in a similar situation.

Fill in their questionaire and they'll take it from there.http://static.halifax.co.uk/assets/pdf/ ... df?srnum=1
I did the same with Lloyds Bank (same group). More details: https://www.halifax.co.uk/gsa/search.asp?q=ppi

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » March 30th, 2018, 9:33 pm

This tool works - it just sends a standard letter to the potential provider and they reply and you take it from there.

https://www.resolver.co.uk/

I got in a muddle due to moving house and forgetting I'd not told them all and then they got all "we don't know who you are, your address does not match our records" etc.

But a couple of years ago I got £800 from Barclays for mortgage protection I hadn't realised I had.

Mel

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”