Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Santander strikes again

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Santander strikes again

Postby XFool » April 24th, 2018, 10:02 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:How does your phone banking work? If you're speaking to a human that's one more source of possible error or fraud, while if you're using a keypad to talk to a robot, you've taken out the hurdle of speech recognition and are wide open to mass-surveillence by an eavesdropping 'bot listening to *everything* on a line and collecting sensitive data. Including, over time, your entire password.

So now all we have to worry about are key-loggers and man-in-the-middle attacks! ;)

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » April 26th, 2018, 6:40 pm

XFool wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:How does your phone banking work? If you're speaking to a human that's one more source of possible error or fraud, while if you're using a keypad to talk to a robot, you've taken out the hurdle of speech recognition and are wide open to mass-surveillence by an eavesdropping 'bot listening to *everything* on a line and collecting sensitive data. Including, over time, your entire password.

So now all we have to worry about are key-loggers and man-in-the-middle attacks! ;)

Bank customers were being defrauded before any of us were born and they'll be being defrauded long after all of us are gone. There's no such thing as totally secure... and I would fully expect the most fallible part in any of these systems is the bit which doesn't change - the customer.

bobsmydog
Lemon Pip

Postby bobsmydog » April 29th, 2018, 11:32 am

gnawsome wrote:A message from Santander,
<At the moment, you don’t need to enter a One Time Passcode (OTP) when paying an existing payee or using your card for online purchases. This is changing, and from February 2018, you may need to enter an OTP to complete your transaction.>
I went to the trouble of going to branch to create a list of 'pay-to' accounts. This notice tells me that was a waste of time. It means that you should not have an account with Santander unless you have a mobile phone and are prepared to allow them to use it.

Indeed. I had to buy a cheap mobile which sits on my desk, just for Santander, to take advantage of their 123 account interest rates ;)

gnawsome
Lemon Slice

Postby gnawsome » April 29th, 2018, 4:12 pm

Indeed. I had to buy a cheap mobile which sits on my desk, just for Santander, to take advantage of their 123 account interest rates ;)[/quote]

The latest clarifications:-
Alternatively you can also setup payments by visiting any Santander branch, please ensure you take proof of account ownership (card/statement) and at least one form of photographic identification (passport/driving licence).
Please note, once a new payee is set up you may be asked for an OTP when you go to pay that person or organisation again via Online Banking. To do this select Payments and Transfers >Pay or view existing payees and follow the on screen instructions.

Does that not appear to be self-contradictory

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » July 21st, 2018, 4:38 pm

gnawsome wrote:The latest clarifications:-
Alternatively you can also setup payments by visiting any Santander branch, please ensure you take proof of account ownership (card/statement) and at least one form of photographic identification (passport/driving licence).
Please note, once a new payee is set up you may be asked for an OTP when you go to pay that person or organisation again via Online Banking. To do this select Payments and Transfers >Pay or view existing payees and follow the on screen instructions.

Does that not appear to be self-contradictory

Not at all due to the word "may".

If you set up a payee but hadn't used it for 10 years then it seems quite reasonable they "may" want to confirm.

If you set up a payee and made regular payments of £50 and then wanted to make a payment of £20,000 it seems quite reasonable they "may" want to confirm.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”