Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Telephone Banking

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
XFool
The full Lemon

Telephone Banking

Postby XFool » August 2nd, 2018, 10:22 am

Following Nationwide's decision to limit its Telphone Banking service, there have been the usual anguished outcries in the usual places:

This is Money

I did think it must still be a useful service for some who, for whatever reason, don't use the Internet. But I was still very surprised by the low numbers quoted when I read the following paragraph:

"But Nationwide says fewer than 2,000 people a year use telephone banking to make payments, while only around 50 people use it as their sole way of making payments."

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Telephone Banking

Postby PinkDalek » August 2nd, 2018, 10:28 am

XFool wrote:"But Nationwide says fewer than 2,000 people a year use telephone banking to make payments, while only around 50 people use it as their sole way of making payments."

Would those 50 be the ones who don't even use cash or cheques?

I still use Barclays telephone banking on occasion but I can't recall why I did the last time. Maybe the router was playing up.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 2nd, 2018, 10:30 am

I've been a First Direct customer for over 20 years. Back when telephone banking was the only way, they would always answer on the first ring.

Since internet banking became ubiquitous, I've had very little need to call them, but up until a couple of years ago they were still very quick to answer if I ever needed to call.

Recently I've had to call them on a couple of occasions, and the phone wasn't picked up for ages. I guess they dedicate far less staff for telephone banking these days.

Scott.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » August 2nd, 2018, 10:56 am

I have always had a positive experience with First Direct telephone banking. Calls are always answered promptly

Notably, on one occasion the call (from my mobile) dropped, the agent phoned me straight back. This saved me having to go through the validation routine again so at the end of the call I confirmed how helpful I had found that.

Watis

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 2nd, 2018, 11:18 am

Watis wrote:I have always had a positive experience with First Direct telephone banking. Calls are always answered promptly

I used telephone banking originally years ago with Girobank. I was an early customer of National Giro and it was my bank for decades, back in the day when most people just couldn't comprehend the notion of a bank with no high street branches! Long before even First Direct.

Long gone, of course...

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » August 9th, 2018, 9:08 am

Latest on this, wrt Nationwide:

"Nationwide Building Society delays plans to scale back telephone banking after customer backlash"

This is Money

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”