Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Digtal Secure Keys - Good or bad?

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Digtal Secure Keys - Good or bad?

Postby raybarrow » August 6th, 2019, 9:35 am

Hi Folks,

I do my banking online via computer. Also have the banking apps, but more for info than hard use. I don't tend to do online banking whilst walking the streets or sat in a coffee shop.

From September, First Direct are going to requires us to use either a Digital Secure Key (via the app) or Secure Key (little keyring device via the computer). No longer able to log in using Memorable data etc. For security I'm sure that's a good thing.

Question is what are the disadvantages of App vs computer security? At the moment I am tossing a coin so to speak.
Random thoughts - Loose/break phone (account linked to the one phone), computer dies( but we have more than one), can't get phone signal, paying for data could be expensive abroad (but how likely I am to use it there in a non-emergency),

Cheers,
Ray.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Digtal Secure Keys - Good or bad?

Postby swill453 » August 6th, 2019, 9:52 am

Computer dying isn't a problem, the dongle isn't tied to any particular computer. You can use it to log in on anything, for example online banking in a browser on your phone, or even (presumably) the app on your phone.

Having said that, I use the secure key facility on the app on my phone. I do log in from anywhere, so want the convenience. Lack of phone signal wouldn't be an issue as it can obviously use wi-fi if available, and if it's not then you couldn't log in anyway!

I accept the risk of losing or breaking the phone, as a fallback until I'd get a replacement then phone banking would suffice.

Scott.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”