Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

M&S bank closure [the merged thread]

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: M&S bank closure [the merged thread]

Postby Arborbridge » March 8th, 2021, 9:01 am

AJC5001 wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Took up the problem this afternoon... still cannot amend an existing STO. The sequence does not complete and sends me back to "my Accounts". I tried amending using a couple of different amounts in case that was the problem, with no change. How difficult can it be to have software which allows amendment of an existing STO?
Arb.

HSBC don't allow amendment of a standing order - they tell you to cancel the existing one wnd set up a new one instead. Is it possible M&S is the same?
(I don't know as all I've done is cancel my standing orders and direct debits in preparation for cancelling my M&S account.)

For First Direct, when I looked today, it said you can only have a second account if it is a joint account.

HTH

Adrian

PS: I just checked the STO dialogue box for my First Direct account, and one can amend the amount of regular payments. Strnge that it should be different from its parent HSBC.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 10th, 2021, 9:53 am

Amending a standing order: the saga continues.

I sent a secure messgae last week within my Marks bank account. I described trying to amend the STO and the result and lack of success, and asked them to explain it.

The reply today is only that if I wish to amend an STO I should phone them to sort it out.
No explanation, no advice on how to do it online. Why would they put an dialogue box to enable one to amend an STO if the answer is "phone us"? It's just very strange.

I always get replies from these organisations which seem to me as though they are answering a slightly different question from the one I asked, or alternatively answer only half the question. That's not just Marks, it applies to most of them.

Incidentally, I also sent a secure message to First Direct about whether I could open an additional sole account and transfer from Marks and received the same answer: phone us!!

Arb.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » March 10th, 2021, 1:05 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Amending a standing order: the saga continues.

I sent a secure messgae last week within my Marks bank account. I described trying to amend the STO and the result and lack of success, and asked them to explain it.

The reply today is only that if I wish to amend an STO I should phone them to sort it out.
No explanation, no advice on how to do it online. Why would they put an dialogue box to enable one to amend an STO if the answer is "phone us"? It's just very strange.

I always get replies from these organisations which seem to me as though they are answering a slightly different question from the one I asked, or alternatively answer only half the question. That's not just Marks, it applies to most of them.

Incidentally, I also sent a secure message to First Direct about whether I could open an additional sole account and transfer from Marks and received the same answer: phone us!!

Arb.

Next time you send a secure message add the phrase "I would like to complain about.... " you should then get a phone call. I had a problem with an ATM taking my money then saying it failed. Turns out I had inadvertantly left a business card in among the money. Got a call the next day after they had taken the ATM apart and found the failure, seems the "word" complaint triggers a response.

Same goes for Coventry BS as they called me this week after I "complained" about a message when trying to set-up a regular transfer (turns out the transaction I was trying was not allowed, according to the T&C's), but the message just said transaction had failed. Seems they knew about it already.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 10th, 2021, 2:54 pm

seagles wrote:Next time you send a secure message add the phrase "I would like to complain about.... " you should then get a phone call.

That's a useful tip, thanks.

I've abandoned the attempt to alter the STO. I realised that if it's this much of a trial to alter it, when I want to change it again, it will be an equal trial.

Then it dawned on me that the easier route was to make an additional "one-off" lump sum payment and have done with it.
The reason for not going down this route before is simple: to raise a one-off payment involves my looking up and typing in the payee account details once more which, at least in principle, increases my risk of paying a large amount of money to the wrong bank account.
Why - I ask myself - should I increase my risk when the payment destination is already set up inside the regular payment STO already existing?

Arb.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 10th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Arborbridge wrote:This is a blow! Just settled down into Marks banking for a few years, now it's going.

I've had quick look on moneysavingexpert but the accounts all seem to be gimmicky and make you jump through hoops if there's some moneyback or regular saver.

Is there something more vanilla I can switch to? Any recommendation for one with user-friendly website? (I have a Smile account, but the web site really gets annoying - you have to get a code sent to your phone when inside the site to even look at past statements! - and if you decide not to bother, you cannot return to the home page so you must log in again).

Arb.

That's really surprising. I've had a Smile account for probably 25 years and never experienced anything like this. I'm always singing its praises because it's the best and easiest account I ever had in my life.

Steve

PS According to Murphy's Law, that'll probably change tomorrow! ;)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 10th, 2021, 6:09 pm

Arborbridge wrote:This is a blow! Just settled down into Marks banking for a few years, now it's going.

I've had quick look on moneysavingexpert but the accounts all seem to be gimmicky and make you jump through hoops if there's some moneyback or regular saver.

Is there something more vanilla I can switch to? Any recommendation for one with user-friendly website? (I have a Smile account, but the web site really gets annoying - you have to get a code sent to your phone when inside the site to even look at past statements! - and if you decide not to bother, you cannot return to the home page so you must log in again).

Arb.

Sorry! A million apologies. I just realised your comment was about
you have to get a code sent to your phone when inside the site to even look at past statements!

Yes, I did once have this, but I don't use the Smile account for very much apart from transferring money to other accounts,and stuff from Amazon. The great thing about having different accounts for specific purposes is that I know very fast when there's something suspicious going on.

I can also recommend Monzo, and above all, Revolut which, although not an official bank, gives you an amazing amount of control over the card.

Steve

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » March 10th, 2021, 6:15 pm

stevensfo wrote:

Arb.

That's really surprising. I've had a Smile account for probably 25 years and never experienced anything like this. I'm always singing its praises because it's the best and easiest account I ever had in my life.

Steve

PS According to Murphy's Law, that'll probably change tomorrow! ;)

Just to make sure I wasn't mis-remembering, I'm in the account now. If one clicks on the Statements" tab there's a message that explains that in order to verify it's "you" they must send a code to your phone. If you decide you can't be bothered (like, I left my phone downstairs) and want to look at, say, your credit card account, there is no way back. No back button, and the browser back button is immobilised.

That's how it is in my account, anyway.

And yes, until last year, Smile was very good and I must have been amongst the first batch of customers when they started.
Arb.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”