Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Setting up Payees for Bacs in Charity a/c

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Setting up Payees for Bacs in Charity a/c

Postby raybarrow » February 1st, 2022, 7:13 pm

Hi Folks,
Anyone have a Charity/Club a/c and sets up payees through it?

Brown Owl has a Charity/Club a/c with TSB Business Banking. The signatories for cheques are any two from four.
Subs etc can be paid into via Bacs. She has a debit card to buy things with. All that works ok.

The challenge is setting up a payee to make payments out of the account via Bacs.
I suspect that if she sets up a new payment then because of the two signatories reqd for cheques a second person will have to 'ok' the set up and any subsequent payments. Will that person have to bank with TSB? Not sure any of her team do. Could they still have online access because they are a signatory.

We will end up speaking to the the bank that 'Likes to say yes', but that is another 'get a cup of coffee first' job. Of two local branches one has closed and the other is being refurbished/improved and will just have machines in it, although I suspect there must be someone to open up in the mornings.
It would be nice to have an idea of what is likely/not likely to happen.

Cheers,
Ray.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Re: Setting up Payees for Bacs in Charity a/c

Postby mc2fool » February 2nd, 2022, 3:11 pm

To be clear, are you talking about automatically recurring BACS payments (like standing orders) or just ones that are made manually as needed?

And do you really specifically mean BACS (which is most oftem used for payroll nowadays) or just generally electronic transfers, most of which are done by faster payments nowadays?

Also, are you talking about all this online, or by paper (or in branch)?

I don't have a Charity/Club a/c with TSB Business Banking but our residents' association (of which I am a director) has what looks pretty much equivalent with Lloyds, and as nobody with a TSB a/c has answered I'll tell you how the Lloyds one works on the assumption that the TSB one will likely be the same.

We too have four signatories and for cheques any two of the four are required. Two of our signatories also have debit cards (which of course don't require two signatures).

The signatories also have online access to the account; each has their own login (rather than a single shared login). Getting the signatories online access was a separate application form than just making them signatories on the account.

Logging in and just looking requires username, password and the usual three characters from a memorable word, whereas if you want to actually do anything then a card reader is needed.

Setting up a new payee and/or setting up a payment (for a new or old payee) requires use of the card reader. The payment is then put into a pending approval queue and a different signatory has to come along and approve it, which also requires use of the card reader. So, quite simply, the two "signatures" for electronic payments out of the account is achieved by one signatory logging in and initiating it and another logging in approving it.

Signatories do not have to bank with Lloyds, but it did take several (paper) forms to get it all set up.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » February 3rd, 2022, 9:34 am

Hi mc2fool,

To be clear, are you talking about automatically recurring BACS payments (like standing orders) or just ones that are made manually as needed?

I mean one off payments, not Standing Orders, made as required. Yes Faster Payments. Payments to be made online. We already use online banking and Brown Owl has online access to this a/c and has a Debit Card for that a/c. Signatories set up as any two from four. Girl Guiding insist, correctly, on two signatories.

Logging in and just looking requires username, password and the usual three characters from a memorable word, whereas if you want to actually do anything then a card reader is needed.

Setting up a new payee and/or setting up a payment (for a new or old payee) requires use of the card reader. The payment is then put into a pending approval queue and a different signatory has to come along and approve it, which also requires use of the card reader. So, quite simply, the two "signatures" for electronic payments out of the account is achieved by one signatory logging in and initiating it and another logging in approving it.

Signatories do not have to bank with Lloyds, but it did take several (paper) forms to get it all set up.

TSB doesn't use card readers but I suspect the 'confirmation of electronic payments' is pretty much standard. One of Brown Owl's other leaders is going to have to rise to the challenge. I can't do it as I'm related, GirlGuiding won't allow it. We need to find a friendly/helpful TSB person, I believe the nearest one now is Cape Hill, Birmingham.

Thanks for the information, that gives us an understanding of what to expect. Forewarned is forearmed.
Ray.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 3rd, 2022, 10:25 am

raybarrow wrote:TSB doesn't use card readers but I suspect the 'confirmation of electronic payments' is pretty much standard. One of Brown Owl's other leaders is going to have to rise to the challenge. I can't do it as I'm related, GirlGuiding won't allow it. We need to find a friendly/helpful TSB person, I believe the nearest one now is Cape Hill, Birmingham.

I take it Brown Owl is the only signatory to have online access then?

Before making a trip I'd suggest having a poke around the online account, as under the Lloyds system at least adding another is initiated from within the online account, which then emails the new signup with a specific link and further instructions. If that's not the case with TSB, or it's not clear, then I'd suggest phoning them as good chance any forms you need are online.

I'd also suggest getting more than just one other signatory to have online access, to cover one or other being away and/or unable to get online.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”