Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Santander Axes 0800 (Mostly)

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Santander Axes 0800 (Mostly)

Postby pje16 » March 7th, 2022, 8:12 am

AF62 wrote:
pje16 wrote:First Direct (the best bank - that's the mantra of their customers :D ) have NEVER had branches and they opened in the late 80s
What great foresight

Really?

Funny then that you can walk into any HSBC branch, HSBC who own First Direct, and carry out in branch transactions using paying in slips that have “First Direct” printed on them as an option to use.

Yes but the branch is called HSBC
Look at all the signage - tell me where you ever see "First Direct" :roll:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 7th, 2022, 8:49 am

stevensfo wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
Switching from RBS was a pain because of all the linked accounts. Still not managed to change Ebay,
Paul

I don't understand this. Can't you simply go into Ebay and choose how you want to pay?

Steve

In theory, yes.

In practice I log in, go through the secure tunnel to log in to my new Lloyds account, verify all the details, and the very last thing it does is ask me to enter my old account number (presumably my old bank account number), when it then fails.

Paul

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 7th, 2022, 10:02 am

pje16 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
pje16 wrote:First Direct (the best bank - that's the mantra of their customers :D ) have NEVER had branches and they opened in the late 80s
What great foresight

Really?

Funny then that you can walk into any HSBC branch, HSBC who own First Direct, and carry out in branch transactions using paying in slips that have “First Direct” printed on them as an option to use.

Yes but the branch is called HSBC
Look at all the signage - tell me where you ever see "First Direct" :roll:

To quote from the first direct website - "first direct is a division of HSBC UK Bank plc"

Not a separate company, just a 'division' of HSBC. Do you expect all the different operational parts of HSBC to have their names on the front of the building?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 7th, 2022, 10:47 am

Try using both and you will see the diffrence
They operate day to day totally independently from HSBC

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » March 7th, 2022, 5:51 pm

DrFfybes wrote:
stevensfo wrote:
DrFfybes wrote:
Switching from RBS was a pain because of all the linked accounts. Still not managed to change Ebay,
Paul

I don't understand this. Can't you simply go into Ebay and choose how you want to pay?

Steve

In theory, yes.

In practice I log in, go through the secure tunnel to log in to my new Lloyds account, verify all the details, and the very last thing it does is ask me to enter my old account number (presumably my old bank account number), when it then fails.

Paul

Apologies. I realise that I use a different system. I have Ebay linked to my Paypal accounts. When asked how I want to pay, I choose the Paypal account, then when Ebay sends me to Paypal, I choose where I want the funds to come from. Either the balance in Paypal itself, a debit card or bank account. Just like Amazon, you can link accounts and cards to Paypal very easily. If an account is closed, you simply can't use it, and link another one.
Using Paypal also gives you a slightly more privacy. Your banks have no idea what you're buying! 8-)

Steve

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 7th, 2022, 6:57 pm

pje16 wrote:Try using both and you will see the diffrence
They operate day to day totally independently from HSBC

Apart from when you need to complete an in-branch transaction, such as paying in cash, and then they operate as a single entity...

As someone who has accounts with both HSBC and First Direct (and my FD account was opened early in 1990, a few months after they launched in October 1989) the only difference I have experienced is that First Direct used to answer their phones incredibly promptly.

I say "used to" because unfortunately a combination of COVID and the recent management changes at First Direct have meant that that is no longer the case and 20 minutes on hold with FD these days isn't unusual.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 7th, 2022, 7:41 pm

I joined in Nov 89 when it was phone banking -that was after driving 10 miles when I was working away from home out in the sticks just to pay a bill.
Never had to even leave the house to pay a bill after that
In those days you helped them "build" their systems with sort codes you needed to pay that they didn't already have and they were a pleasure to deal with
I haven't had to call them for years as pretty much everything can be done online

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » March 7th, 2022, 10:05 pm

stevensfo wrote:Apologies. I realise that I use a different system. I have Ebay linked to my Paypal accounts. When asked how I want to pay, I choose the Paypal account, then when Ebay sends me to Paypal, I choose where I want the funds to come from. Either the balance in Paypal itself, a debit card or bank account. Just like Amazon, you can link accounts and cards to Paypal very easily. If an account is closed, you simply can't use it, and link another one.
Using Paypal also gives you a slightly more privacy. Your banks have no idea what you're buying! 8-)

Steve

No apologies necessary. I sell on Ebay, sometimes. The need a way to collect the fees, and I've always done it from my bank.

I wonder if I can direct them to Paypal for this?

Paul

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Postby Loup321 » March 8th, 2022, 9:09 am

DrFfybes wrote:No apologies necessary. I sell on Ebay, sometimes. The need a way to collect the fees, and I've always done it from my bank.

I wonder if I can direct them to Paypal for this?

Paul

I'm pretty sure when I was selling bits and pieces they used to take the fees from Paypal. The money came in long before the fees were due (fees came out monthly in arrears I think), and I would leave the money in the Paypal account until I had finished selling everything I wanted to and all the fees were paid. I used to sporadically have a clear out and then sell over a couple of months, get too tired, and leave it a year or so. I haven't sold anything for years though, so you would need to check. And I have never sold anything as cash on collection, simply because I wanted the fees to all be taken from the money I made, rather than me have to faff about making sure it was all in the correct place.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 8th, 2022, 4:06 pm

Moderator Message:
This topic was originally about Santander dropping 0800 numbers. The discussion has really veered off into two other topics now as far as I can see - one about First Direct, and one about Paypal.

I really don't think it's helpful to continue these on this thread. If the topics are worth further discussion, please start new threads in the appropriate boards.

As the original discussion has run its course, please consider this topic closed. I won't lock it just in case there is further on-topic discussion (chas49)

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”