Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

NS and I again

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

NS and I again

Postby mutantpoodle » March 15th, 2022, 7:10 am

new security login system started
well they emailed me warning etc
now its impossible to log in

just get nmessage saying 'session timed out inactivity' ....AS SOON AS ENTER SITE

telephone no use as all at home in case of covid (well it is public service!)

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: NS and I again

Postby Watis » March 15th, 2022, 7:22 am

mutantpoodle wrote:new security login system started

just get nmessage saying 'session timed out inactivity' ....AS SOON AS ENTER SITE

First thing to try: delete the cookies from that browser, or try another browser.

HTH,

Watis

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 15th, 2022, 7:48 am

Watis wrote:
mutantpoodle wrote:new security login system started

First thing to try: delete the cookies from that browser, or try another browser.

HTH,

Watis

Cookies can be a pain (as of course can be being locked out of sites for no good reason) I often get something similar wit HSBC log in. Removing cookies sorts it. Why do we need all those intrusive cookies?

Dod

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 15th, 2022, 7:59 am

Cookies can be good: for instance it's a cookie that keeps your Lemonfool login alive while you move away from the site. Saves having to login every time you go back to it.

In mutantpoodle's case, it's likely that a login cookie wasn't deleted by the NS&I website when they last logged out. Or left behind following the computer crashing perhaps.

Watis

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 15th, 2022, 9:01 am

I can't get in either. The NS&I Twitter account has said:

We are aware that customers are experiencing issues when trying to log in to their online accounts. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience. We are working hard to resolve this as soon as we can.

https://twitter.com/bell123321/status/1 ... 5052549124

Scott.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 15th, 2022, 9:10 am

Thanks Scott
Obviously did not occur to anyone at NSandI to put a note up their site :roll:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 15th, 2022, 9:18 am

Watis wrote:Cookies can be good: for instance it's a cookie that keeps your Lemonfool login alive while you move away from the site. Saves having to login every time you go back to it.

In mutantpoodle's case, it's likely that a login cookie wasn't deleted by the NS&I website when they last logged out. Or left behind following the computer crashing perhaps.

Watis

Cookie's can be a pain. Often if I cannot get in to a site, I am advised to 'clear the cookies'. That is simply from the point of view of a totally non tech user a pain. If keeping my Lemonfool login live whilst I move away from the site is good (and of course I find it helpful) it begs the question, why bother to have a password protected login in the first place?

On that subject, I will never open an account on a website when buying something. I always try to log in as a guest. It is an absurdity that I should need to open an account (with a password) to buy some printer ink.

Dod

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » March 15th, 2022, 9:36 am

Dod101 wrote:
Watis wrote:Cookies can be good: for instance it's a cookie that keeps your Lemonfool login alive while you move away from the site. Saves having to login every time you go back to it.

Watis

Cookie's can be a pain. Often if I cannot get in to a site, I am advised to 'clear the cookies'. That is simply from the point of view of a totally non tech user a pain. If keeping my Lemonfool login live whilst I move away from the site is good (and of course I find it helpful) it begs the question, why bother to have a password protected login in the first place?

On that subject, I will never open an account on a website when buying something. I always try to log in as a guest. It is an absurdity that I should need to open an account (with a password) to buy some printer ink.

Dod

I did check that I could reach the login screen when posting my reply, as I understood that to be the problem, rather than the message being displayed after a login attempt. I don't have an NS&I login so couldn't check for that.

Dod - I guess you're clicking the box to 'Remember me' when logging into Lemonfool to avoid having to login in all the time. That's fine when it's your own PC in your own property. I guess none of us would enable that on a public or shared computer?

And, opening an account when making a one-off purchase enables the supplier to be able to promote their wares to you going forward. But you knew that! :D

Watis

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 15th, 2022, 9:46 am

Watis wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Watis

Dod

I did check that I could reach the login screen when posting my reply, as I understood that to be the problem, rather than the message being displayed after a login attempt. I don't have an NS&I login so couldn't check for that.

Dod - I guess you're clicking the box to 'Remember me' when logging into Lemonfool to avoid having to login in all the time. That's fine when it's your own PC in your own property. I guess none of us would enable that on a public or shared computer?

And, opening an account when making a one-off purchase enables the supplier to be able to promote their wares to you going forward. But you knew that! :D

Watis

Thanks. Yes I am being argumentative this morning. On opening an account, it is promoted as a practice to save me entering all the details again for my next purchase but the merchant has my email anyway even without my opening an account and certainly sends me promotional emails!

This is not relevant to the OP's comments so I will stop there.

Dod

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » March 15th, 2022, 11:05 am

Just tried to login to NS&I a few moments ago (11:02), and worked fine and as normal for me. Can't see any changes either.
I use http://www.nsandi.com/login

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 15th, 2022, 11:13 am

DAK
have they changed the password methodology/complexity recently
I have a password manager so I know my password is correct
but haven't logged in for quite a while as I mainly use either Alexa or my phone to check for premium bond prizes

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 15th, 2022, 11:23 am

yorkshirelad1 wrote:Just tried to login to NS&I a few moments ago (11:02), and worked fine and as normal for me. Can't see any changes either.
I use http://www.nsandi.com/login

Yes they seem to have disabled the new 2FA stuff and reverted to the old login method. Somebody's not going to get their bonus this year...

Scott.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 15th, 2022, 11:29 am

Thanks Scott
I never used the 2FA with them
often at home my mobile signal isn't strong enough to get a text so i have to avoid it where I can
cheers
Paul

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 15th, 2022, 11:43 am

pje16 wrote:I never used the 2FA with them

Me neither. I'm not even sure it was available before the launch today(?).

Scott.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » March 16th, 2022, 7:12 am

FAO Scott

Yes they seem to have disabled the new 2FA stuff and reverted to the old login method. Somebody's not going to get their bonus this year...

in your dreams! performnce doesnt count in these operations...

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » March 16th, 2022, 7:37 am

thanks for the tips re deleting cookies
on this occasion that wasnt the problem
it was NSand I
which they have now resolved....by stopping the OTP idea............for the time being

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”