Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Online Security

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
StayinAlive

Online Security

Postby StayinAlive » April 6th, 2022, 2:58 pm

I've had a Lloyds current account for about 50 years and am now finding the enhanced security procedures way over the top.
For instance, whenever I want to set up and transfer an amount to a new savings bank, not only do I have the usual username, password, pin and, for the desktop, another passcode sent by phone just to log in, but then have to contact their fraud department line to confirm the same things that I've already done to log in so that they can lift the block on transferring to a new recipient. This line is, unsuprising "very busy at the moment" and takes ages to sort out a simple transaction. So I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a Bank who makes it a little easier to login (I prefer desktop) and doesn't refer all new account-settings-up to their fraud department.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Online Security

Postby pje16 » April 6th, 2022, 3:08 pm

First Direct is the best bank by far
You can use their app (offline as well) to confirm new payments and other security things that other banks make you jump hoops for
Have never beeb referred to their fraud dept (I can only assume they have one)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 6th, 2022, 4:52 pm

if it were me I would march down to my local Lloyds branch, make it their problem to perform this transaction for me and not leave until they have done it.

It's funny how banks have made it so hard to do business in their branches, by reducing staff or closing them, that people feel compelled to do their banking online. Then they make online banking so hard that you have to do your business in the branch anyway.

No real idea if other banks are less bad. HSBC has thrown a whole bunch of obstacles in my path. NatWest has been a bit more benign.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » April 6th, 2022, 5:22 pm

I opened a Lloyds 'basic' account in Jan.

Simple to log in and use. I use the same browser on my (passwrod protected) PC so Firefox remembers username and password (on this PC only, I don't link devices), I have to enter 3 digits from my security 'word', and that's it. No texts, special codes, apps to download. I've just tested it and from opening a new tab it was 37 seconds to being able to view my statement.

Once in if I want to set up a new payee THEN they ring and I have to enter a code, but nothing otherwise. Santaner (our joint household account) is similar.

If you clear the cookies or don't ask to remembered, then they might treat each login as though you are using a public PC. For me if someone does steal my PC, work out the entry code, and then work out my login passcode, then they can still only move money to existing payees without my phone.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » April 6th, 2022, 5:30 pm

I have a Bank of Scotland account (part of the Lloyds group) and have not seen this problem. Do you have your landline or mobile number registered in your profile so that they can call you and you enter a code. If you don't have a phone registered with them, that might be the cause of the problem. Just a guess.
doolally

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”