Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

New HSBC cards

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
mc2fool
Lemon Half

New HSBC cards

Postby mc2fool » April 8th, 2022, 3:31 pm

Just got a replacement card from HSBC for one that was soon to expire and was surprised to see it looks like:

https://www.about.hsbc.co.uk/news-and-media/hsbc-uk-makes-banking-more-accessible-with-new-range-of-cards

Yep, no info -- number, date, name -- on the front, it's all on the back and is simply printed on, not embossed.

Apparently it's to make the card "more accessible", but according to the link above folks with visual impairments had complained about the lack of "tactile features" on cards beforehand, and yet they've now removed all of them! Although I've no idea how accurately blind people could feel the embossed numbers before.

The card obviously can't be put though the old credit card imprinter machines either ... although I can't remember when I last saw one of those!

A (very) small positive, as I only use the card in question for online purchases, is that I no longer have to look at two sides of the card as all the info -- number, date, and 3 digit security code -- is all on one side. Although guess that makes it easier for someone to copy/photo. And as it's just printed and not embossed I wonder how long it'll take before the info is thumbed off!

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: New HSBC cards

Postby pje16 » April 8th, 2022, 3:35 pm

I got my First Direct, a sub of HSBC, one like that last July
are HSBC a bit on the slow side?

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 8th, 2022, 3:36 pm

I think many cards are changing to this style, my Halifax one certainly has.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 8th, 2022, 4:10 pm

pje16 wrote:I got my First Direct, a sub of HSBC, one like that last July

Probably not, just a case of my card coming to expiry now. The article is dated 12 Aug 21 so it looks like you FD customers were the guinea pigs. :D

Stompa wrote:I think many cards are changing to this style, my Halifax one certainly has.

I just don't get the purpose of not embossing the number, etc. Probably just a cost saving?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 8th, 2022, 4:12 pm

Stompa wrote:I think many cards are changing to this style, my Halifax one certainly has.

Yes, my Chase card is like this too, except that my name is on the front, but all the digits are on the back.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 8th, 2022, 4:15 pm

mc2fool wrote:

Probably not, just a case of my card coming to expiry now. The article is dated 12 Aug 21 so it looks like you FD customers were the guinea pigs. :D

I just don't get the purpose of not embossing the number, etc. Probably just a cost saving?

I guess embossing goes back to the days of these hand powered card readers :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfxD1ohT2N0

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 8th, 2022, 4:19 pm

pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

I guess embossing goes back to the days of these hand powered card readers :lol:

As I said in my OP (do try and keep up at the back there! :D)
mc2fool wrote:The card obviously can't be put though the old credit card imprinter machines either ... although I can't remember when I last saw one of those!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 8th, 2022, 4:25 pm

mc2fool wrote:The card obviously can't be put though the old credit card imprinter machines either ... although I can't remember when I last saw one of those!

I saw one in a restaurant overseas last year. Evidently the establishment was having a problem with their phone connection and so they were processing card payments manually.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » April 8th, 2022, 4:28 pm

mc2fool wrote:
pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:

I was keeping up Sir
Just showing WHY they were embossed
I worked in a shop that used them
The triple thick (from memory) layered paper would often scrunch up as the head ran over it :roll:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » April 8th, 2022, 5:36 pm

pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I just don't get the purpose of not embossing the number, etc. Probably just a cost saving?

I was keeping up Sir
The triple thick (from memory) layered paper would often scrunch up as the head ran over it :roll:

We know why there were embossed, it's so they can be ...
mc2fool wrote:... put though the old credit card imprinter machines...

The question now is why the new ones are not embossed. The implication behind that would appear to be that the card companies are no longer willing to process manual card payments.

I can perhaps understand that, but then, as per Lootman's experience, what if you are in some less reliably connected place and you offer your new style card, do you get the waiter saying, "Sorry sir, we can only take embossed cards at the moment" ?!?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 8th, 2022, 5:53 pm

mc2fool wrote:
pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:
pje16 wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I just don't get the purpose of not embossing the number, etc. Probably just a cost saving?

I was keeping up Sir

We know why there were embossed, it's so they can be ...
mc2fool wrote:... put though the old credit card imprinter machines...

The question now is why the new ones are not embossed. The implication behind that would appear to be that the card companies are no longer willing to process manual card payments.

I can perhaps understand that, but then, as per Lootman's experience, what if you are in some less reliably connected place and you offer your new style card, do you get the waiter saying, "Sorry sir, we can only take embossed cards at the moment" ?!?

Yes, there seems to be no logic behind it. I have debit cards that are embossed and credit cards that aren't! I never had a problem, but then, I wouldn't dream of going to a far-off country without an emergency wad of local banknotes hidden somewhere safe. Don't ask! ;) Even in the UK, I make sure to keep enough cash to get me out of any difficulties. Motto: Be prepared! Even if I was never a boy scout. I should think that the Girl Guides had an even stronger motto! 8-)

Steve

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 8th, 2022, 6:25 pm

Seems there's no specific reason for this.
- They're seen to be more aesthetically pleasing, i.e. sleeker, for those who care about that.
- Slightly more secure, in that if you put it face up on a table nobody can see the number.
- More hard-wearing, as the embossed number used to wear out.
- And nobody* really needs to use the carbon paper swipe machine.

* - OK 99.99999%

Scott.

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » April 8th, 2022, 6:46 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Yes, there seems to be no logic behind it. I have debit cards that are embossed and credit cards that aren't! I never had a problem, but then, I wouldn't dream of going to a far-off country without an emergency wad of local banknotes hidden somewhere safe. Don't ask! ;) Even in the UK, I make sure to keep enough cash to get me out of any difficulties. Motto: Be prepared! Even if I was never a boy scout. I should think that the Girl Guides had an even stronger motto! 8-)

Steve

I was working in Zurich (mid 1990s), my American friend and I decided to go to France for the weekend - great food, great wine etc.
We were travelling back and presented our passports to the boarder guards.
I went first and went through with no problems.
Then comes my American friend - who is promptly dragged off to an interrogation room by a couple of burly types.
His crime ? - He kept a $100 bill at the back of his passport "in case of emergencies". They had assumed he was trying to bribe them to get into Switzerland. I learnt a few new Schweizerdeutsch words and he learnt where not to secrete his emergency money.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 8th, 2022, 7:14 pm

PhaseThree wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Steve

I was working in Zurich (mid 1990s), my American friend and I decided to go to France for the weekend - great food, great wine etc.
We were travelling back and presented our passports to the boarder guards.
I went first and went through with no problems.
Then comes my American friend - who is promptly dragged off to an interrogation room by a couple of burly types.
His crime ? - He kept a $100 bill at the back of his passport "in case of emergencies". They had assumed he was trying to bribe them to get into Switzerland. I learnt a few new Schweizerdeutsch words and he learnt where not to secrete his emergency money.

Great story! :lol: I was actually working in Grenoble in those days so we used to go to Geneva occasionally and never had a problem. Though obviously, keeping a banknote in any document that you hand over to police is a bit stupid.

I learned from our removal guys in France that yes, the gendarmes couldn't be bribed .... with money. There was some kind of pride in that. But apparently, it was perfectly okay to get out of a sticky situation by offering a few bottles of malt whisky. They told me that they routinely travelled with a good stock in the front.

Steve

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 8th, 2022, 7:17 pm

But why the change from Landscape to Portrait mode? I thought the lack of embossed information reflected security measures - as with some new 'digital bank' cards - until I learned it was all printed on the reverse!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 8th, 2022, 7:21 pm

XFool wrote:

I thought the lack of embossed information reflected security measures - as with some new 'digital bank' cards - until I learned it was all printed on the reverse!

Whenever I order something online I whip out my card and read the digits off the card (front or back). Nobody remembers that stuff.

So if the cards were blank then I would have to go around with all those numbers written down on a piece of paper, which would be an even bigger security risk.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 8th, 2022, 7:35 pm

XFool wrote:

But why the change from Landscape to Portrait mode?

Perhaps because it typically slots into a machine in portrait mode??? Mind you the other side of my card is in landscape mode.

They all seem to have a notch at the bottom too, which I believe is to help blind and partially sighted people.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 8th, 2022, 7:56 pm

Stompa wrote:
XFool wrote:

But why the change from Landscape to Portrait mode?

Perhaps because it typically slots into a machine in portrait mode???

Um. It hardly seems to matter what the face design looks like when it is in/going into a machine. And I keep mine in my wallet in landscape mode...

As yet I have not received a card of this design.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 8th, 2022, 8:35 pm

mc2fool wrote:Just got a replacement card from HSBC for one that was soon to expire and was surprised to see it looks like:

https://www.about.hsbc.co.uk/news-and-media/hsbc-uk-makes-banking-more-accessible-with-new-range-of-cards

Yep, no info -- number, date, name -- on the front, it's all on the back and is simply printed on, not embossed.

Apparently it's to make the card "more accessible"...

Oh yeah? I'm sure I've seen that description before somewhere. Isn't it when utility companies redesign their utility bills - to make them "more accessible" - which usually means there are even more pieces of paper than before and they are more difficult to follow. But why the change from landscape to portrait?

My guess: There was a decision it was time to redesign the cards for the modern digital age, with no real need for the previous embossed design which was for paper based transactions. Possibly a step change towards not having any written information on the card for security reasons. A design company was employed, they "reimagined" [ :roll: ] the design of the card and part of that (cough!) "reimagining" was to change from landscape to portrait. i.e. No real reason for that particular change.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » April 8th, 2022, 8:38 pm

[quote="XFool"]Um. It hardly seems to matter what the face design looks like when it is in/going into a machine.[/quote
Well.....

https://www.techspot.com/amp/news/75706 ... -mind.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/credit- ... ?r=US&IR=T

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”