Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Asking for proof of salary - is this legal?

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Asking for proof of salary - is this legal?

Postby stevensfo » October 31st, 2022, 1:34 pm

One of my current accounts, used fairly infrequently and mainly for shopping for Amazon, has just requested details of my salary and proof of this. This is a normal current account, not a business account, and with approx one transaction per month.

I am a cynical old sod and take SSP (Safety, Security, Privacy) very seriously, so I'm wondering if they really have the right to ask for this info. This request was via their app, so there is not even the name of the person requesting it. Furthermore, there is the usual warning that my account may be blocked if I do not give this info within one month.

Of course, I could understand if I were throwing millions around, but here we're talking about the occasional trousers, shirt, book etc from Amazon. :shock:
Steve

PS I really have the impression that the more they drone on about privacy, the less we have!

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Asking for proof of salary - is this legal?

Postby pje16 » October 31st, 2022, 1:54 pm

A dose of cynicism often helps (it does for me) :D
I don't think they are entitled to but I may be wrong

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » October 31st, 2022, 2:06 pm

"E-mails, text messages or calls from Amazon will never ask for your personal information. Here are some helpful tips for each type of contact, to determine if it's from Amazon, and how to report it if not."

I'd say salary info is personal. I'd report it then!
Last edited by monabri on October 31st, 2022, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 31st, 2022, 2:07 pm

stevensfo wrote:One of my current accounts, used fairly infrequently and mainly for shopping for Amazon, has just requested details of my salary and proof of this. This is a normal current account, not a business account, and with approx one transaction per month.

I am a cynical old sod and take SSP (Safety, Security, Privacy) very seriously, so I'm wondering if they really have the right to ask for this info. This request was via their app, so there is not even the name of the person requesting it. Furthermore, there is the usual warning that my account may be blocked if I do not give this info within one month.

Of course, I could understand if I were throwing millions around, but here we're talking about the occasional trousers, shirt, book etc from Amazon. :shock:
Steve

PS I really have the impression that the more they drone on about privacy, the less we have!

I'd say no. However, I suspect that could possibly result in them closing the account. They are probably trying to sell you something and if you tell them your salary they have a "bite".

AiY(D)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 31st, 2022, 2:21 pm

monabri wrote:"E-mails, text messages or calls from Amazon will never ask for your personal information. Here are some helpful tips for each type of contact, to determine if it's from Amazon, and how to report it if not."

I'd say salary info is personal. I'd report it then!

This is from a bank, not from Amazon.

Steve

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 31st, 2022, 2:36 pm

Which bank is this?

Given the nature of your usage of the account, do you actually care if it's blocked? I think the first thing I'd do is empty the account and remove any connections to/from it; standing orders, direct debits, linked accounts (e.g. "nominated account" from savings a/cs), so that if they do block it it doesn't matter. Having done that you can then:

a) do nothing, and wait and see what happens, if anything, or,
b) reply that you don't have a salary, or,
c) reply that you don't have a salary and you just live off of your savings, or,
d) reply that you are a gigolo and live off of cash-in hand, a variety of non-cash benefits and other immoral earnings. :D

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 31st, 2022, 3:19 pm

mc2fool wrote:Which bank is this?

Given the nature of your usage of the account, do you actually care if it's blocked? I think the first thing I'd do is empty the account and remove any connections to/from it; standing orders, direct debits, linked accounts (e.g. "nominated account" from savings a/cs), so that if they do block it it doesn't matter. Having done that you can then:

a) do nothing, and wait and see what happens, if anything, or,
b) reply that you don't have a salary, or,
c) reply that you don't have a salary and you just live off of your savings, or,
d) reply that you are a gigolo and live off of cash-in hand, a variety of non-cash benefits and other immoral earnings. :D

Thanks. That greatly appeals to my sense of humour. 8-)

I prefer not to say which bank, but I think that I will take the higher ground and insist firstly on clarification via email or letter, with appropriate signature/name for traceability and security. I really don't like the way people are being treated these days.

Then I will decide what to do. I don't mind sending a jpeg or pdf to banks as long as I know it's a genuine and legal request, but I always put a small, amateur security tag on the document and let them know that the image can be identified as being sent only to them. I once got a grovelling apology from Revolut by quoting the law back at them and threatening to report them for attempted fraud. Of course, it was nothing of the kind, but they all hate bad publicity.

Must go. These Iranian arms deals don't run themselves and Nationwide are starting to ask about the billion dollar transfers into my account. My explanation of working late may not work the third time! :lol:

Steve

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » October 31st, 2022, 3:32 pm

stevensfo wrote:I once got a grovelling apology from Revolut by quoting the law back at them and threatening to report them for attempted fraud. Of course, it was nothing of the kind, but they all hate bad publicity.

Care to share that exchange (suitably anonymised of course)? It could prove useful to anyone else that gets a similar demand.... ;)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » October 31st, 2022, 3:49 pm

Banks have a legal obligation to 'know your client'. But how much information they are entitled to under those regs is an open question.

So they have a right not to provide banking services to you if they don't feel they know enough about you and you have a right to take your custom elsewhere.

They may feel it odd that someone has an account where only one or payments a month are made and no monthly income is credited to it. Though I have an account with Barclays like that and haven't had any probs.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 31st, 2022, 4:31 pm

mc2fool wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I once got a grovelling apology from Revolut by quoting the law back at them and threatening to report them for attempted fraud. Of course, it was nothing of the kind, but they all hate bad publicity.

Care to share that exchange (suitably anonymised of course)? It could prove useful to anyone else that gets a similar demand.... ;)

It was simple matter of them freezing my account when I was attempting to transfer 200 quid of money to our student son. They wanted I.D. but they'd already had it for years!

The only way of communicating was an online chat which consisted of various employees asking me silly questions and repeating themselves in terrible English. What really p****d me off was asking me to send screenshots of my phone messages to the website. How the hell do I do that?

I simply accused them of scamming, pishing, fraudulent activity, breaking Privacy laws and harassment, indicating that I was informing the police, the FCA and the Lithuanian embassy.

They resolved the matter within a few hours and kept asking me if everything was now okay. I didn't reply.

Of course, Revolut were still intent on getting licences all over the world.

UK banks probably don't give a !&%$#!! They're still closing branches! 8-)

Steve

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”