Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

NS&I: paying IHT and the Direct Payment scheme

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

NS&I: paying IHT and the Direct Payment scheme

Postby yorkshirelad1 » February 7th, 2023, 10:58 am

There have been several mentions of the Direct Payment Scheme (where IHT can be paid direct from a bank account to HMRC before probate, in order to get probate, where the account would otherwise be 'frozen' before probate) and using NS&I accounts.

Readers may be interested to read this FOI request (which I stumbled on while looking for something else)
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/details_of_the_arrangements_for#incoming-1590679

It seems as if NS&I were (before about 2020) a bit slower than other banks (using their own methods), but have (since around 2020) adopted the scheme similar to other banks in the Direct Payment scheme.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Re: NS&I: paying IHT and the Direct Payment scheme

Postby Eboli » February 8th, 2023, 2:45 pm

The correct HMRC form to use can be found here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... unt-iht423

Eb.

raybarrow
Lemon Slice

Postby raybarrow » February 9th, 2023, 8:35 am

Hi Folks,
My brother just had a nightmare as an executor for his Brother in Law. BiL had a clause in his will leaving the house and other stuff to BiL's wife, 'Free of IHT'. Never heard of it but seems to protect those items from being used to pay IHT. There was probably enough money in banks etc a/cs to cover IHT when the will was made but that was no longer the case when he died. My brother and the other executor had to find the money to pay IHT so they could get probate. All done and dusted now but a stressful time to be suddenly faced with that.

A good reason to review a will at regular intervals.

Ray.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » February 9th, 2023, 4:19 pm

raybarrow said
My brother just had a nightmare as an executor for his Brother in Law. BiL had a clause in his will leaving the house and other stuff to BiL's wife, 'Free of IHT'. Never heard of it but seems to protect those items from being used to pay IHT. There was probably enough money in banks etc a/cs to cover IHT when the will was made but that was no longer the case when he died. My brother and the other executor had to find the money to pay IHT so they could get probate. All done and dusted now but a stressful time to be suddenly faced with that.

A good reason to review a will at regular intervals.

This is puzzling to say the least. A gift to a surviving spouse (BiL's wife) is exempt from IHT. So whether BiL left the gift "free of IHT" or not would not have made once penny difference to the IHT liability unless the BiL's wife was non-domiciled (when there is a limit to the exemption). Assuming the BiL's wife is UK domiciled, then redbarrow is raising the more widespread problem of who pays the IHT. Unless specific gifts are made "free of IHT" (with all the complications of grossing up) then the order of liability is important. Normally the recipients of specific gifts are liable to IHT upon them before the executors and then the residue of the estate. Only at that point is the position of the executors "tricky". So it is not clear from red barrow's post if the gift to the BiL's wife had anything to do with the problem.

Eb

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”