Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Nationwide Current Account

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Nationwide Current Account

Postby bruncher » February 9th, 2023, 6:21 pm

I have had a Nationwide current account for decades and it used to be a great service.

Today I wanted to make a payment to a joint account I have with a different bank. In the 'make a single payment' section, all my payees have disappeared except HMRC! I had to set up a new payee, even though I have a monthly payment set up to the same account, and have made one-off payments many times over the years.

Another disturbing thing - all my 'secure messages' have been erased, nothing at all in the messages section.

Needless to say it was impossible to submit a complaint out of office hours, so I submitted a 'feedback form' which apparently is permitted at any time of day or night.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Re: Nationwide Current Account

Postby JohnB » February 9th, 2023, 6:58 pm

they delete them 13 months after they are last used, and yes this is petty and annoying, like most security theatre.

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » February 9th, 2023, 8:21 pm

JohnB wrote:they delete them 13 months after they are last used, and yes this is petty and annoying, like most security theatre.

"They" means most banks.
Same goes for direct debit mandates.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » February 9th, 2023, 8:40 pm

pochisoldi wrote:"They" means most banks.
Same goes for direct debit mandates.

I think NatWest will delete unused direct debits, but direct payements seem to stay untouched. I have a number unused since before the lockdown. It suggests that I delete them where they haven't run a verefication test on the account name, but they haven't done it for me.

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Postby Bminusrob » February 10th, 2023, 9:03 am

Nationwide is not a serious bank. I have a Flexplus account, for which I pay £13 a month. Only this week, I wanted to pay for some of my current ongoing building project from money I have in the account, and it was a tortuous process. The most I can pay in one go is £10000, without going through the CHAPS system, which will cost me £20 a go to access my own money, which sits in the account, earning them interest, but not earning me interest.

I eventually gave up with the online system, and tried phoning them. It was very very difficult to get through their system, but I did finally manage to speak to someone, who was no help at all. I can use CHAPS, or I can make multiple £10000 payments, or I can go into a branch. I had no idea where my nearest branch was, so I asked. 18 miles (40 minutes) away apparently. I even planned to just give up, and close the account, but that involves going to a branch, so I put that off, and lodged a formal complaint.

In a stroke of personal genius, I then solved the problem. I wrote a cheque, and deliverd it by hand to the building company. It's a pity nobody suggested this.

Meanwhile, I had a call regarding the official complaint. They are improving their online system, but it is a year away. In the meantime, "tough sh*t".

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 10th, 2023, 6:07 pm

Bminusrob wrote:Nationwide is not a serious bank. I have a Flexplus account, for which I pay £13 a month. Only this week, I wanted to pay for some of my current ongoing building project from money I have in the account, and it was a tortuous process. The most I can pay in one go is £10000, without going through the CHAPS system, which will cost me £20 a go to access my own money, which sits in the account, earning them interest, but not earning me interest.

I eventually gave up with the online system, and tried phoning them. It was very very difficult to get through their system, but I did finally manage to speak to someone, who was no help at all. I can use CHAPS, or I can make multiple £10000 payments, or I can go into a branch. I had no idea where my nearest branch was, so I asked. 18 miles (40 minutes) away apparently. I even planned to just give up, and close the account, but that involves going to a branch, so I put that off, and lodged a formal complaint.

In a stroke of personal genius, I then solved the problem. I wrote a cheque, and deliverd it by hand to the building company. It's a pity nobody suggested this.

Meanwhile, I had a call regarding the official complaint. They are improving their online system, but it is a year away. In the meantime, "tough sh*t".

I even planned to just give up, and close the account, but that involves going to a branch

I've never heard that before. Normally, a letter should be sufficient.

You could just transfer everything out and ignore it. After a few years it would become dormant and they'd close it.

Or tell them you're now living in France. ;) Nationwide is one of the annoying ones that will close your account if you're not resident.

Steve

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » February 11th, 2023, 8:56 am

qq
I even planned to just give up, and close the account, but that involves going to a branch
uq

just use a 'switch' service link

it should complete in 7 days and you should get money from new bank...........depending who you choose

bruncher
Lemon Quarter

Postby bruncher » February 11th, 2023, 12:26 pm

Another great improvement is that you can no longer send a secure message from within your account. They can send you one, of course.

Is there a reason behind the deteriorating service over the past few years? Is there possibility that Nationwide could demutualise? Are they cutting costs and raising profits to sell it off?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 11th, 2023, 12:48 pm

bruncher wrote:Another great improvement is that you can no longer send a secure message from within your account. They can send you one, of course.

Is there a reason behind the deteriorating service over the past few years? Is there possibility that Nationwide could demutualise? Are they cutting costs and raising profits to sell it off?

you can no longer send a secure message from within your account. They can send you one, of course.

Now that is the sort of thing that would make me see red! :evil:

Though to be honest, talking to real people may not be much better. I once went into our local Nationwide branch to ask why some accounts had been closed (long story) and it was like talking to the old Eliza program from the 80s. I'm pretty sure that the moment I left, their ZX80 brains deleted the file and resumed the 'How can I help you?' loop.

Steve

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » February 11th, 2023, 4:54 pm

stevensfo wrote:Though to be honest, talking to real people may not be much better. I once went into our local Nationwide branch to ask why some accounts had been closed (long story) and it was like talking to the old Eliza program from the 80s. I'm pretty sure that the moment I left, their ZX80 brains deleted the file and resumed the 'How can I help you?' loop.
Steve

Here's the customer training video for the modern company, courtesy of Little Britain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0YGZPycMEU

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » February 13th, 2023, 12:35 pm

bruncher wrote:Is there possibility that Nationwide could demutualise?

Rather unlikely. The "poison pill" provision is still in place which means that any proceeds from demutualisation go to charity. This can't be revoked for existing members, any change would only apply to new members. It's unlikely that a demutualisation would go through with this in place.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 13th, 2023, 4:36 pm

Just had an email that Nationwide are paying 5% cashback for supermarket shopping on a Nationwide debit card between 9 February and 30 April.

Subject to a maximum of £10 per calendar month per joint account holder, so up to £60 I guess.

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 13th, 2023, 4:59 pm

6 months to stock up on toilet rooll, bleach and whatever non perishables or long-date stuff!

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » February 13th, 2023, 5:05 pm

details for those like me who opted out of marketing emails

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/cashback/

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”