Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Nationwide still using a card reader?

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Nationwide still using a card reader?

Postby stevensfo » September 30th, 2023, 5:23 pm

I wanted to transfer a small amount from my Nationwide account to our son's NW account.

Okay I haven't used my NW account to do this sort of thing for many years.

It was impossible. They asked me to use my card reader.

I threw away my NW card readers many years ago. They had other ways, including 2FA etc.

Are some banks really still using these card readers? It really is a pain!!

Steve

monabri
Lemon Half

Re: Nationwide still using a card reader?

Postby monabri » September 30th, 2023, 5:33 pm

If you don't have your card reader to hand...the option is to use a passcode and txt msg.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » September 30th, 2023, 5:35 pm

text messages can be used for login, card reader is needed for bank transfer setup, and old validated transfers expire after 13 months, which is a PITA.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 30th, 2023, 6:58 pm

stevensfo wrote:I wanted to transfer a small amount from my Nationwide account to our son's NW account.
They asked me to use my card reader.

OH had to use the card reader recently when she miskeyed the 2FA code.

I read somewhere that all remote card readers are interchangeable. Do you have another reader? Try it.

V8

Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Postby Dicky99 » September 30th, 2023, 8:27 pm

JohnB wrote:text messages can be used for login, card reader is needed for bank transfer setup, and old validated transfers expire after 13 months, which is a PITA.

Correct I had to visit the branch in person to setup a new SO. So long had elapsed since its last use the battery had expired on both my nationwide and natwest readers.
I expressed my surprise and frustration that card readers were still in use and the assistant was quite apologetic but said for the time being it was still necessary.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » September 30th, 2023, 8:42 pm

88V8 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:I wanted to transfer a small amount from my Nationwide account to our son's NW account.

I read somewhere that all remote card readers are interchangeable. Do you have another reader? Try it.

V8

Coincidentally I was discussing this exact point with a mate of mine who is a security techy for a major bank, and he was telling me the same. All of these security card readers from any bank are identical in function and totally interchangeable. So if the OP can borrow one, it will work.

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » September 30th, 2023, 8:47 pm

Barclays offer a card reader as one method. It's very quick and convenient. Quicker for me than having to switch on my phone and wait for a text message.

Lloyds call our landline which is also fast.

I guess it's what one is used to?

regards

Howard

pochisoldi
Lemon Slice

Postby pochisoldi » September 30th, 2023, 10:09 pm

88V8 wrote:

V8

BoS/Natwest/Nationwide all use the same model of reader (different colour case and branding)
Barclays use a different model which is ideal for those with "fatter fingers".
The two models are interchangeable.

Kantwebefriends
Lemon Slice

Postby Kantwebefriends » October 1st, 2023, 1:11 am

I like my card reader. It gives us better service than ns&i manage.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 1st, 2023, 5:24 am

My wife hates the fact that another bank requires her to have her mobile phone with her to transfer funds. The card reader is by the computer and her phone isn't!

Different people, different ways. As has been pointed out there ARE alternatives if you really don't want to use a card reader, but I happen to agree that it's a better method of 2FA.

I confess that I am irritated by the number of financial institutions that only offer SMS for 2FA as if it was the only form of 2FA. I really don't consider it that secure.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » October 1st, 2023, 11:26 am

JohnB wrote:text messages can be used for login, card reader is needed for bank transfer setup, and old validated transfers expire after 13 months, which is a PITA.

I tried to make a payment this morning via the app (my wife had previously set this payee up) and the app asked me for the card reader. No option of a text message. I suppose it makes some sense not to allow the 2FA to the device you're already using, but given that this is to a payee previously authorised, it seems annoying

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 1st, 2023, 1:21 pm

As the OP, I confirm that although I can logon without the card reader, I cannot set up a payment without it.

This is not the first time that Nationwide has p*ss*d me off.

They used to have an annoying habit of offering good savings rates to only new customers, while quietly lowering rates for existing clients.

I once went to our local branch to ask a few important questions.

A hamster in a cage would have been just as useful. Less expensive as well!

Steve

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » October 1st, 2023, 2:00 pm

stevensfo wrote:As the OP, I confirm that although I can logon without the card reader, I cannot set up a payment without it.

They used to have an annoying habit of offering good savings rates to only new customers, while quietly lowering rates for existing clients.

Steve

Just to confirm things, it was the Nationwide who threw away the card reader? It does seem that you may need to ask for a replacement.

Dicky99, you can change the batteries in these devices. I have just changed the ones in mine
The Nationwide card reader takes two CR2032 batteries. Available at most good supermarkets, or ebay/Amazon.

Off topic, but it is actually quite difficult to transfer small amounts between people, as opposed to paying for goods in a shop isn't it!

I suspect that it's this expectation of free banking or banking services.

I transfer £20 from my account to my son and he gets £20. I pay £20 in a shop contactless and they don't get £20 as VISA takes a small cut from them.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » October 1st, 2023, 4:19 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
stevensfo wrote:As the OP, I confirm that although I can logon without the card reader, I cannot set up a payment without it.

Steve

Just to confirm things, it was the Nationwide who threw away the card reader? It does seem that you may need to ask for a replacement.

Dicky99, you can change the batteries in these devices. I have just changed the ones in mine
The Nationwide card reader takes two CR2032 batteries. Available at most good supermarkets, or ebay/Amazon.

Off topic, but it is actually quite difficult to transfer small amounts between people, as opposed to paying for goods in a shop isn't it!

I suspect that it's this expectation of free banking or banking services.

I transfer £20 from my account to my son and he gets £20. I pay £20 in a shop contactless and they don't get £20 as VISA takes a small cut from them.

Since my last post I can confirm that I must have thrown away the card reader many years ago. Nationwide was an account I used decades ago but then started using better banks with easier websites and friendly staff. But Nationwide is the place where we opened accounts for our kids as well. Since they grew up abroad, they are totally clueless about UK banks, so they only have the NW accounts.

Fortunately, I have just learned that there are plenty of card readers available, scattered among our family though probably hidden beneath books, magazines, mouldy kebabs etc. ;)

For transferring quickly between people, you should all get a Revolut card. Or one of the many similar cards. The other person receives the money in approx 10 seconds.

Yes, VISA takes their cut, but this was covered in a question I asked at TLF months ago and it appears that three places take a cut: VISA, the transfer agent and the bank itself.

When interest rates were close to 0%, I think everyone was asking about how free accounts could continue. But now the interest rates are back to normal and the banks are raking it in!

So pleased to see that cash is slowly becoming used more!

Steve

seahermit

Postby seahermit » January 5th, 2024, 2:53 am

I have read these posts with interest. I cannot see the point of Nationwide sending me a card-reader when I have long used a mobile phone to get codes - everyone has a mobile and it takes just a couple of minutes for a code to arrive.

In any case, I cannot believe that nowhere on the Nationwide website are there precise instructions about using the card-reader - or even switching it on! Presumably it starts up when you insert a bank card ...

I also watched the videos and then tried to open the battery compartment (in case I need to know how later). Nothing works, paper clip, pen etc. - the card reader stays resolutely shut and so it is now shoved away into a drawer!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 5th, 2024, 7:51 am

As previously mentioned its gives an extra layer of security. You can loose your phone, many people do and you wouldn't someone else having access to you bank.

It's simple to operate.

The biggest pain is remembering to pack on when going away. Although most people that wouldn't be an issue either.

I could moan about the inconvenience of locking my house at night....... You know the rest. :D

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 5th, 2024, 9:27 am

I don't want to be forced to install bank apps on my phone. And managing 2 Nationwide accounts, texts to one phone, and 2 cards. one reader works for me.

Having a device its so easy to lose, or have stolen, as a focal point in your life seems a very bad idea to me.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 5th, 2024, 10:17 am

Yeah it's a faff - and you do need to remember to take it with you
My big preference is for authenticator apps; which once set up work even if you swap to a local sim on your travels

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » January 5th, 2024, 10:23 am

stevensfo wrote:I threw away my NW card readers many years ago.

Why? Have you access to any other such card reader? It doesn't have to be a NW one.

stevensfo wrote:Are some banks really still using these card readers? It really is a pain!!

Is it? Why? Try logging on via PIN by phone when the network is on the blink again. That's "a pain"!
I still have my NW card reader and always use it.

jaizan
Lemon Slice

Postby jaizan » January 5th, 2024, 10:26 am

servodude wrote:Yeah it's a faff - and you do need to remember to take it with you
My big preference is for authenticator apps; which once set up work even if you swap to a local sim on your travels

The worst companies are those which only have one option, such as ii, with their text messages. That's inconvenient if I've swapped my SIM.

Although, Santander really screwed up when they asked me to phone them to approve a transaction. I was in Thailand, so that would be an expensive phone call and it couldn't possibly offer any additional security over them sending me a code. So I used my Halifax CC instead & haven't used the Santander one since.

At least Nationwide give their customers a choice of card reader or texts.

Better are the companies which offer the options of sending the code by phone or e-mail.

Also, I don't see what's wrong with a fingerprint and a PIN as 2FA.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”