Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Passbooks coming back into vogue?

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Lootman
The full Lemon

Passbooks coming back into vogue?

Postby Lootman » January 27th, 2024, 2:28 pm

I was amused to see this article today describing an increase in demand for old-fashioned passbook savings accounts:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/ ... -societies

This past summer I decided to open a savings account for the first time in years, and I particularly wanted an account that was not online but rather had a passbook, old school style. A number of institutions did not offer that and some even told me that I could only open one online.

But Yorkshire Building Society came to the rescue, and has a branch convenient for me. Apparently I am far from the only customer who wants this type of account.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Passbooks coming back into vogue?

Postby stevensfo » January 27th, 2024, 4:20 pm

Lootman wrote:I was amused to see this article today describing an increase in demand for old-fashioned passbook savings accounts:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/ ... -societies

This past summer I decided to open a savings account for the first time in years, and I particularly wanted an account that was not online but rather had a passbook, old school style. A number of institutions did not offer that and some even told me that I could only open one online.

But Yorkshire Building Society came to the rescue, and has a branch convenient for me. Apparently I am far from the only customer who wants this type of account.

But a passbook implies that you can pop into your own branch.

In which case, you could make your own passbook. I'm sure some old Blue Peter episodes would help? Exercise book, sticky-backed plastic and a few felt-tips? ;) As long as you get the bank employee to stamp it, no problem.

Steve

PS I still remember the 10p PO savings stamps and PO books that taught us all how to save. Sad that they disappeared.

Rhinocol

Postby Rhinocol » January 27th, 2024, 9:47 pm

Where I live I have both the Yorkshire and Leeds Building Societies close by. They are both happy to deal with online and passbooks , treating you as a customer regardless of your preferences. Why I bank with them.

Degsy67
2 Lemon pips

Postby Degsy67 » February 5th, 2024, 1:14 pm

Rhinocol wrote:Where I live I have both the Yorkshire and Leeds Building Societies close by. They are both happy to deal with online and passbooks , treating you as a customer regardless of your preferences. Why I bank with them.

That’s Leeds & Holbeck Building Society. ‘The Leeds’ was Leeds Permanent Building Society (est. 1848). Leeds & Holbeck Building Society was established in 1875. They are Johnny-come-lately upstarts in the building society movement.

OK, I realise that Leeds & Holbeck officially changed name back in the mid-2000s, and Leeds Permanent turned out to be less permanent than intended, but as an ex-Leeds Perm employee I still can’t move past this local rivalry without comment. It’s both a gift and a curse. :D

Degsy

orangepekoe

Postby orangepekoe » February 5th, 2024, 2:21 pm

Nottingham Building Society still has passbooks

the0ni0nking
Lemon Slice

Postby the0ni0nking » February 5th, 2024, 4:13 pm

Degsy67 wrote:
Rhinocol wrote:Where I live I have both the Yorkshire and Leeds Building Societies close by. They are both happy to deal with online and passbooks , treating you as a customer regardless of your preferences. Why I bank with them.

That’s Leeds & Holbeck Building Society. ‘The Leeds’ was Leeds Permanent Building Society (est. 1848). Leeds & Holbeck Building Society was established in 1875. They are Johnny-come-lately upstarts in the building society movement.

OK, I realise that Leeds & Holbeck officially changed name back in the mid-2000s, and Leeds Permanent turned out to be less permanent than intended, but as an ex-Leeds Perm employee I still can’t move past this local rivalry without comment. It’s both a gift and a curse. :D

Degsy

And now the Leeds and Holbeck has a longer history than the Leeds Permanent given that Leeds Permanent was bought by the Halifax in 1995 (so 29 years ago) while the Leeds and Holbeck formed only 27 years after the Leeds Permanent continues to exist.

Leeds Perm 147 years before defunct vs Leeds and Holbeck 148/9 years and still living the dream on Sovereign Street!

Vive la résistance!

The Yorkshire Building Society dates back to 1864 and is still going to - but that is from Bradford and hence needs to be discounted.

Rhinocol

Postby Rhinocol » February 5th, 2024, 8:33 pm

Intresting comments on the Leeds. Out of interest when my late father passed away in 2004 clearing his house I found what I think is a Leeds permanent Building Society money box. It is chrome coloured, oval shaped and measures 3 inches long, 2 inches deep, and 1.5 inches wide. It has a little carrying handle on the top with a locked jawed opening and underneath has a hinged base with a key opening. and on the front is embossed with the Leeds Permanent logo and motif safety, soundness, security. I wonder if the Leeds would be interested in it for posterity

Degsy67
2 Lemon pips

Postby Degsy67 » February 8th, 2024, 10:11 am

Rhinocol wrote:Intresting comments on the Leeds. Out of interest when my late father passed away in 2004 clearing his house I found what I think is a Leeds permanent Building Society money box. It is chrome coloured, oval shaped and measures 3 inches long, 2 inches deep, and 1.5 inches wide. It has a little carrying handle on the top with a locked jawed opening and underneath has a hinged base with a key opening. and on the front is embossed with the Leeds Permanent logo and motif safety, soundness, security. I wonder if the Leeds would be interested in it for posterity

Such blasphemy! Try the city museum in Leeds as a better alternative.

:D

Degsy

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 10th, 2024, 1:55 pm

Degsy67 wrote:
Rhinocol wrote:Intresting comments on the Leeds. Out of interest when my late father passed away in 2004 clearing his house I found what I think is a Leeds permanent Building Society money box. It is chrome coloured, oval shaped and measures 3 inches long, 2 inches deep, and 1.5 inches wide. It has a little carrying handle on the top with a locked jawed opening and underneath has a hinged base with a key opening. and on the front is embossed with the Leeds Permanent logo and motif safety, soundness, security. I wonder if the Leeds would be interested in it for posterity

Such blasphemy! Try the city museum in Leeds as a better alternative.

:D

Degsy

Depending on the condition and how many there are, it could be worth anything from 10p to millions! ;)

Best do a bit of research before you give it away.

There's a Google app that is quite good but haven't used for years. You take a picture of the object and it searches for similar images. I once tried it on my mother's ornaments and made quite a few interesting discoveries.

Steve

PS Most discoveries were of how many copies were made and little they were worth! 8-)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 12th, 2024, 8:25 am

stevensfo wrote:There's a Google app that is quite good but haven't used for years. You take a picture of the object and it searches for similar images.

Regular Google image search does the same for an uploaded photo. Click the right hand button. https://www.google.com/

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”