Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Log-in Problems at Sandander

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Log-in Problems at Sandander

Postby Bouleversee » January 30th, 2024, 12:49 pm

Until recently, I had no problems logging in to my Santander accounts and my ID (too many digits to remember) came up automatically because I had ticked the required box. Now, though I have again ticked the box, it doesn't and I have to make sure I have it to hand before I start. What is even more infuriating is that they then want to send me a secure code which hitherto was not necessary unless I wanted to make a payment and not just to view transactions on my account. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? It makes no sense since I can get onto telephone banking and make payments simply by having my voice recognised which is not totally secure now that we have AI successfully cloning voices.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Log-in Problems at Sandander

Postby Urbandreamer » January 30th, 2024, 12:56 pm

The number is usually remembered by the browser. (as a cookie)

As for the SMS message, that's the way that it's worked for me for ages.

I also have an account with Nationwide, which gives me the option of SMS or using a card reader.

Dare I suggest that it's not a bad thing that banking security has improved.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 30th, 2024, 1:00 pm

Bouleversee wrote:Until recently, I had no problems logging in to my Santander accounts and my ID (too many digits to remember) came up automatically because I had ticked the required box. Now, though I have again ticked the box, it doesn't and I have to make sure I have it to hand before I start. What is even more infuriating is that they then want to send me a secure code which hitherto was not necessary unless I wanted to make a payment and not just to view transactions on my account. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

No, no problems here. I don't have it remember my ID but I'm having no problems logging in as normal, and without any secure code requirement.

If sounds like your browser has/is forgotten/forgetting the cookies for the site. Or maybe you've somehow turned off cookies for it. Or maybe you've opened a private window (i.e. one without cookies).

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 30th, 2024, 1:16 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:As for the SMS message, that's the way that it's worked for me for ages.

With Santander? It only does that for me if I try logging in with a browser I haven't logged into it with before. Having gone through it once it then trusts that browser for further logins without any SMS message....

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 30th, 2024, 1:26 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:As for the SMS message, that's the way that it's worked for me for ages.

With Santander? It only does that for me if I try logging in with a browser I haven't logged into it with before. Having gone through it once it then trusts that browser for further logins without any SMS message....

Yes with Santander, using Firefox (uBlock plugin) under Linux.
I have just done the following.

Visit site, user number is remembered, enter 5 digit PIN.
Request SIM code, then enter it.
Look at account.
Log off account, and hit the button that yes I did want to log off.

Visit site, enter PIN.
Asked to request SMS code.

I didn't even close the browser, just the tab after logging off.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 30th, 2024, 1:34 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
mc2fool wrote:With Santander? It only does that for me if I try logging in with a browser I haven't logged into it with before. Having gone through it once it then trusts that browser for further logins without any SMS message....

Yes with Santander, using Firefox (uBlock plugin) under Linux.
I have just done the following.

Visit site, user number is remembered, enter 5 digit PIN.
Request SIM code, then enter it.
Look at account.
Log off account, and hit the button that yes I did want to log off.

Visit site, enter PIN.
Asked to request SMS code.

I didn't even close the browser, just the tab after logging off.

That's curious. I'm using Firefox under Windows and I can't remember the last time I needed to undergo the SMS code bit. Neither on my desktop or laptop. I just enter the ID and 5 digit pin (well, KeePass enters it for me) and I get straight it.

I don't have any ad blocker add-in though (I use a hosts file for that purpose), so I wonder if that's making the difference....?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Postby DrFfybes » January 30th, 2024, 2:02 pm

It sounds like it is deleting cookies after the tab is closed, so it doesn't recognise the browser next time you go to log in and acts like it is a new device.

My suspicion is you've triggered a "block cookies from this site" option whilst logged in - go into Setting and 'security' then 'cookies and site data' then 'manage exceptions' and see if Santander is listed.

If you use a Cookie Controller addon then they often have a button or keyboard shortcut you can switch cookies on or off easily, so this could be a cause.

Paul

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » January 30th, 2024, 3:24 pm

Thanks to all. Will come back to this later.

Stompa
Lemon Slice

Postby Stompa » January 30th, 2024, 3:37 pm

I must admit I find the requirement for an SMS in order to log in a bit irritating. It seems to have become much more prevalent in the last month or two. Prior to that it was once in a blue moon.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » January 30th, 2024, 7:56 pm

I am using Firefox, Ublock Origin and Linux Mint 21.2. I always paste in my Personal ID from my Addresses.odt document and click the web link in that document. Up until very recently, I was only asked for my security number to log in. I am now asked for 2FA with a text message. That is not so convenient, but it is not a significant problem either.

I did have an issue with Shawbrook Bank last week, where the text messages were taking about ten minutes to arrive, but I was able to log in successfully yesterday. Text messages can be delayed by various network issues, and that is not necessarily the fault of the bank. We are reliant on 30 year old technology there.

As another aside, Barclaycard (or perhaps it was a scammer) texted me today saying that I had not used their app, and asking me if I wanted a call back explaining how to use it. The banks seem to want us to use their apps. I am not overly keen to do that with a phone that is no longer receiving security updates, but the banks usually say anything running Android 8 or above is OK.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » January 30th, 2024, 8:06 pm

Might I propose this thread is deleted from a point of view of security (Usernames linked to Santander) ..just on the off chance there was a security hack on TLF.

paranoid..moi ?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » January 30th, 2024, 9:13 pm

monabri wrote:Might I propose this thread is deleted from a point of view of security (Usernames linked to Santander) ..just on the off chance there was a security hack on TLF.

paranoid..moi ?

Not bad advise, though Santander use numbers to identify their clients, as do Nationwide.

I confess that my real name is also not Urban Dreamer.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » January 31st, 2024, 8:20 am

monabri wrote:Might I propose this thread is deleted from a point of view of security (Usernames linked to Santander) ..just on the off chance there was a security hack on TLF.

Knowing which bank you use (or one of the banks that you use) would not help a fraudster much.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”