Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Have you turned off contactless payments or set contactless limits? Why?

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Have you turned off contactless payments or set contactless limits? Why?

Postby Urbandreamer » March 20th, 2024, 6:33 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Your phone should tell you each time your cards are used. If not, why not?

Having an app on your phone provides the bad guys with another way into your account.

Provided that you don't take phone security seriously.

Why is the assumption that people don't? Oh that's right, any suggestion that people should tighten up their phone security is treated as being too much effort.

Can I repeat again, people PLEASE tighten up your phone security. Change the settings so that the contents of SMS messages are not displayed while the phone is locked. Add a PIN to your SIM so that it can't simple be removed and used in another phone by someone else. Set a secure passphrase and facial recognition to unlock the phone.

Ps, my credit card app also picks random characters from my 15 character passphrase that must be entered before you can use the app. Other financial apps either are, or can be configured, to be that secure. One even uses a numeric keypad with the numbers in random locations so that repeating motions won't work.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 20th, 2024, 6:38 pm

The more 'clever' and complicated the technology gets, the more likely it is clever people can find a way in.

Remember the German's WWII 'unbreakable' Enigma machine?

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » March 20th, 2024, 6:57 pm

XFool wrote:The more 'clever' and complicated the technology gets, the more likely it is clever people can find a way in.

Not personally, no I don't.

I do however have some knowledge of how the code was broken. Ignoring for a moment the capture of a working example, the policy of always starting messages the same way allowed pattern matching. Sure clever people can do wonders. Especially if helped by other people's own stupidity.

Marian Rejewski quickly spotted the Germans' major procedural weaknesses of specifying a single indicator setting (Grundstellung) for all messages on a network for a day, and repeating the operator's chosen message key in the enciphered 6-letter indicator. Those procedural mistakes allowed Rejewski to decipher the message keys without knowing any of the machine's wirings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptanal ... the_Enigma

The problem is NOT the "clever" technology, but human nature. You know, like not securing their phone or SIM.

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 20th, 2024, 7:24 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:
GeoffF100 wrote:Having an app on your phone provides the bad guys with another way into your account.

Provided that you don't take phone security seriously.

Adding another door into your house does not make it any harder to break into, no matter how solid that door is.

Currently, most UK online banking uses SMS 2FA. Of course you need block lock screen notifications and set a SIM lock.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 21st, 2024, 12:09 am

GeoffF100 wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:Provided that you don't take phone security seriously.

Adding another door into your house does not make it any harder to break into, no matter how solid that door is.

Currently, most UK online banking uses SMS 2FA. Of course you need block lock screen notifications and set a SIM lock.

True
- but the suggestions from Urbandreamer are more akin to putting bars on the windows and a proper deadbolt on your existing door

however it's also true that if you don't keep anything of value at home there's less to lose if someone gets in

I'm happy using my phone for just about anything - I have it on me sufficiently often that I am more likely to notice its absence than my wallet (and it's more useful for transaction tracking and notifications)

I do have a burner wallet for occasions where I think that might useful (a cheap market ripoff tyvek thing that can sit in my back pocket)

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 21st, 2024, 8:36 am

Urbandreamer wrote:
XFool wrote:The more 'clever' and complicated the technology gets, the more likely it is clever people can find a way in.

Not personally, no I don't.

I do however have some knowledge of how the code was broken. Ignoring for a moment the capture of a working example, the policy of always starting messages the same way allowed pattern matching. Sure clever people can do wonders. Especially if helped by other people's own stupidity.

Marian Rejewski quickly spotted the Germans' major procedural weaknesses of specifying a single indicator setting (Grundstellung) for all messages on a network for a day, and repeating the operator's chosen message key in the enciphered 6-letter indicator. Those procedural mistakes allowed Rejewski to decipher the message keys without knowing any of the machine's wirings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptanal ... the_Enigma

The problem is NOT the "clever" technology, but human nature. You know, like not securing their phone or SIM.

Think I suffered a memory 'glitch' here.

I thought I had previously read that the introduction of the Steckerbrett by the German's had helped provide a way in.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » March 21st, 2024, 10:10 am

Moderator Message:
An extended discussion of Enigma and codebreaking is off-topic here albeit potentially interesting. Please carry that aspect on elsewhere if you wish to continue. Many thanks (chas49)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 21st, 2024, 11:12 am

If you are out and about, and lose your phone which is then used to pay for things.... how do you call your bank?

<non serious rhetorical question>

GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Postby GeoffF100 » March 21st, 2024, 6:39 pm

didds wrote:If you are out and about, and lose your phone which is then used to pay for things.... how do you call your bank?

It is a serious issue. You cannot just borrow a stranger's phone and go through security with the bank within ear shot. If you are near home, having a backup phone at home will do the trick. Alternatively, some people keep a backup phone in their car. If your keys get stolen too, you have bigger issues.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 21st, 2024, 8:01 pm

GeoffF100 wrote:
didds wrote:If you are out and about, and lose your phone which is then used to pay for things.... how do you call your bank?

It is a serious issue. You cannot just borrow a stranger's phone and go through security with the bank within ear shot. If you are near home, having a backup phone at home will do the trick. Alternatively, some people keep a backup phone in their car. If your keys get stolen too, you have bigger issues.

In the case of my main account phone banking is accessible, to a degree, separate from internet banking; I need my customer number and a unique pin to access features like balance checking, and putting holds on cards, via a normal phone. Don't know if I can use it for cardless withdrawal, I'll check.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”