Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Premium Bonds

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
Laughton
Lemon Slice

Re: Premium Bonds

Postby Laughton » June 3rd, 2020, 3:55 pm

Boo Hoo - nothing for me this month (max holding)

But 5 x £25 for Mrs L again (second month running)

TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Postby TopStar74 » June 4th, 2020, 11:37 am

XFool wrote:Not a bad return!

Not a bad coronavirus punt: Saver grabs a 7,000% return after scooping £1m Premium Bonds jackpot from a February 2020 investment

This is Money

Is there verifiable evidence that there are winners like this? I understand the issue of privacy. However, I sometimes wonder if all this is just fraud? Maybe no one wins the jackpot most of the time and there is no way for anyone to check. Every few months an article is thrown out into the press/media claiming that someone somewhere won crazily! With premium bonds the news most of the time is not about someone who has invested for 30 years, who has won, but "someone won a million and they just invested 2 months ago" which sounds totally like a marketing ploy to get people with some available savings to get delighted and rush in to invest. Without verifiable evidence, any news article could be pushed and no one is able to find out the truth. I think all lottery organisations should have a clause in it that players/investors take two risks - one with their money, and the other that if they win, they lose their privacy. This way, with every game/investment it is fair for all players to know who won! How can we keep playing in the game without knowing who won! I know it would be difficult for me if I won 30 million in Euromillions to then lose my privacy, but I would manage that, knowing that is the way the game is played. It is not fair for all players in the game to have no way to find out if the organisation is telling the truth or not about the big win and is just milking the fake news for further customers.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 4th, 2020, 11:49 am

TopStar74 wrote:Is there verifiable evidence that there are winners like this? I understand the issue of privacy. However, I sometimes wonder if all this is just fraud? Maybe no one wins the jackpot most of the time and there is no way for anyone to check. Every few months an article is thrown out into the press/media claiming that someone somewhere won crazily! With premium bonds the news most of the time is not about someone who has invested for 30 years, who has won, but "someone won a million and they just invested 2 months ago" which sounds totally like a marketing ploy to get people with some available savings to get delighted and rush in to invest. Without verifiable evidence, any news article could be pushed and no one is able to find out the truth. I think all lottery organisations should have a clause in it that players/investors take two risks - one with their money, and the other that if they win, they lose their privacy. This way, with every game/investment it is fair for all players to know who won! How can we keep playing in the game without knowing who won! I know it would be difficult for me if I won 30 million in Euromillions to then lose my privacy, but I would manage that, knowing that is the way the game is played. It is not fair for all players in the game to have no way to find out if the organisation is telling the truth or not about the big win and is just milking the fake news for further customers.

And using 5G to do it, I bet...

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 4th, 2020, 11:59 am

swill453 wrote:And using 5G to do it, I bet...

:lol: ... but I wouldn't have repeated the entirety in a post of mine (and wouldn't be surprised if it all goes anyway).

TopStar74
Lemon Pip

Postby TopStar74 » June 4th, 2020, 1:32 pm

"And using 5G to do it, I bet..."

Lol Scott! I get your humour! But I do also without expressing any conspiracy theories, wish to think that my point might be valid. There is no way of checking anyone has actually won the joackpot, apart from taking their results page as proof.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 4th, 2020, 1:38 pm

This topic is about NS&I’s Premium Bonds.

Conspiracy theorists I’m sure are welcome at ‘Polite Discussions’ but I’d be cautious about what may be classed as defamation, as per your first post earlier today.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 4th, 2020, 4:35 pm

TopStar74 wrote:

Not a bad coronavirus punt: Saver grabs a 7,000% return after scooping £1m Premium Bonds jackpot from a February 2020 investment

This is Money

Is there verifiable evidence that there are winners like this? I understand the issue of privacy.

The National Audit Office checks and verifies Premium Bond operations. Of course, if you don't trust the National Audit Office... But then, why trust anybody or anything? A fashionable view these days, in some quarters.

TopStar74 wrote: However, I sometimes wonder if all this is just fraud? Maybe no one wins the jackpot most of the time and there is no way for anyone to check. Every few months an article is thrown out into the press/media claiming that someone somewhere won crazily!

As there are two one million pound wins with every monthly draw, they will not run out of stories!

TopStar74 wrote:With premium bonds the news most of the time is not about someone who has invested for 30 years, who has won, but "someone won a million and they just invested 2 months ago" which sounds totally like a marketing ploy...

It certainly seems that way for the news sites. ;)

TopStar74 wrote:...to get people with some available savings to get delighted and rush in to invest. Without verifiable evidence, any news article could be pushed and no one is able to find out the truth.

"verifiable" by whom? If you don't trust the National Audit Office, who would you trust to check on the National Audit Office? And who would you trust to check on the people who check on the National Audit Office etc?

TopStar74 wrote:I think all lottery organisations should have a clause in it that players/investors take two risks - one with their money, and the other that if they win, they lose their privacy. This way, with every game/investment it is fair for all players to know who won! How can we keep playing in the game without knowing who won! I know it would be difficult for me if I won 30 million in Euromillions to then lose my privacy, but I would manage that, knowing that is the way the game is played.

Why does it need to be? Why do you need to know who won? I don't, I just need to know it's me who won.

TopStar74 wrote:It is not fair for all players in the game to have no way to find out if the organisation is telling the truth or not about the big win and is just milking the fake news for further customers.

Why is it "unfair"? Everyone is in the same position.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » June 4th, 2020, 5:21 pm

TopStar74 wrote:

This is Money

Is there verifiable evidence that there are winners like this? I understand the issue of privacy. However, I sometimes wonder if all this is just fraud? Maybe no one wins the jackpot most of the time and there is no way for anyone to check. Every few months an article is thrown out into the press/media claiming that someone somewhere won crazily! With premium bonds the news most of the time is not about someone who has invested for 30 years, who has won, but "someone won a million and they just invested 2 months ago" which sounds totally like a marketing ploy to get people with some available savings to get delighted and rush in to invest. Without verifiable evidence, any news article could be pushed and no one is able to find out the truth. I think all lottery organisations should have a clause in it that players/investors take two risks - one with their money, and the other that if they win, they lose their privacy. This way, with every game/investment it is fair for all players to know who won! How can we keep playing in the game without knowing who won! I know it would be difficult for me if I won 30 million in Euromillions to then lose my privacy, but I would manage that, knowing that is the way the game is played. It is not fair for all players in the game to have no way to find out if the organisation is telling the truth or not about the big win and is just milking the fake news for further customers.

I know it would be difficult for me if I won 30 million in Euromillions to then lose my privacy, but I would manage that, knowing that is the way the game is played.

But that's daft! Where do you draw the line? If you earn more than X or win more than Y, should your name be published? Seriously, are you saying that your identity should be made public, and it's perfectly reasonable? Should NS&I publish the names and addresses of all winners? If not, why?

Without verifiable evidence, how do we know if you had two pints or five, before driving home? Without verifiable evidence, how do we know if you're a real person and not some AI software?

Steve

PS If I won 30 million and the company leaked my name, I think I'd spend 29 million on the most sadistic and imaginative hitmen money could buy! With HD video cameras thrown in! ;)

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » June 4th, 2020, 5:51 pm

TopStar74 wrote: I think all lottery organisations should have a clause ..... if they win, they lose their privacy. This way, with every game/investment it is fair for all players to know who won!

It's not just players who know who won. Thieves do as well. Google something like "Lottery - Robbed", quite a few incidents.

I think the latest was this week or last week and the winner/victim quoted "I wish I had stated 'no publicity'."

I certainly wouldn't play if my name was published after a multi-million win. As it is you haven't heard my name linked to a big win. Unfortunately there's a good reason for that :lol:.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 4th, 2020, 7:26 pm

XFool wrote:..
TopStar74 wrote:...to get people with some available savings to get delighted and rush in to invest. Without verifiable evidence, any news article could be pushed and no one is able to find out the truth.

"verifiable" by whom? If you don't trust the National Audit Office, who would you trust to check on the National Audit Office? And who would you trust to check on the people who check on the National Audit Office etc?

Indeed.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bouleversee » June 4th, 2020, 7:50 pm

I really don't think there is any fiddling going on. I once won £1000 when I had only £13k in and another £1000 when I only had about £25k. Those were the days. I don't think they have any trouble attracting investors to an investment where one might win a tax-free fortune but can never lose your shirt and when alternative safe investments offer almost nothing, which is why they can pay so little in the way of total prize money. Nil desperandum. :)

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Postby yorkshirelad1 » June 4th, 2020, 8:17 pm

4 max holdings; each got £50 this month.

What I'm less impressed with is the speed of delivery of the notification e-mail (Yes, I know I can look online, and I did, I use the e-mail as a backup/reminder).

Two e-mails accounts, two NS&I accounts, both with winnings. E-mails "Sent" yesterday morning, delivered this evening. Yes, I understand that they may release the e-mails staggered over time, but a carrier pigeon would have got here quicker.

Sent: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 05:32:30 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 18:06:32 +0100

Sent: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 05:32:31 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 17:50:48 +0100

It seems to get held at mxmfb.com

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » June 4th, 2020, 8:34 pm

When interest payments from traditional savings accounts is so small I think it's worth taking the risk of foregoing some of that interest in exchange for the chance of a much bigger return. Premium bonds are just one of a few offerings available e.g. Halifax fixed saver offers just 0.4% in exchange for a monthly prize draw.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 4th, 2020, 10:53 pm

Meanwhile...

Stoke-on-Trent man becomes overnight millionaire - thanks to £1 Premium Bond he only bought this year

Stoke-on-Trent News

:lol:

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » June 4th, 2020, 11:01 pm

XFool wrote:Meanwhile...

Stoke-on-Trent man becomes overnight millionaire - thanks to £1 Premium Bond he only bought this year

Stoke-on-Trent News

:lol:

Bizarre headline. All Premium Bonds are worth £1. He bought £27,500 of them at the same time.

Scott.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 5th, 2020, 5:50 am

Stoke-on-Trent man becomes overnight millionaire ...

Same man you mentioned previously via your earlier link.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » June 5th, 2020, 11:20 am

PinkDalek wrote:

What, he's won twice, so £2m...?

Wow... :o

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 5th, 2020, 11:48 am

BrummieDave wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

What, he's won twice, so £2m...?

Wow... :o

Nah the other winner for the month lived in Nottingham (and isn't a he).

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » June 5th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Yeah...it was a joke... :roll:

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » June 5th, 2020, 12:06 pm

Yeah - I know!

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”