Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Money for nothing - current accounts

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
tonyreptiles
2 Lemon pips

Money for nothing - current accounts

Postby tonyreptiles » July 25th, 2017, 11:47 am

Hi All,

I need a new current account so I'm looking for an account with some kind of 'new customer' incentive. However, all of those I have found require you to switch your current, current account.

This isn't an option. Why? I recently switched my TSB current account to Nationwide in order to open a joint account for MsTR and I - with £100 incentive for us and our friend who referred us. This leaves me without an account of my own - thus the search for a tasty incentive deal.

Does anyone know of an account where new customers get an incentive - but without the switch?

Thanks.
TR

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Re: Money for nothing - current accounts

Postby Loup321 » July 25th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Open an account with any bank, and then in a couple of months do a switch? Having 2 current account searches on your credit record might not look good, but if you're otherwise creditworthy it shouldn't be an issue. If it is, wait an extra few months.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » July 25th, 2017, 12:44 pm

tonyreptiles wrote: I recently switched my TSB current account to Nationwide in order to open a joint account for MsTR and I - with £100 incentive for us and our friend who referred us. This leaves me without an account of my own - thus the search for a tasty incentive deal.
Does anyone know of an account where new customers get an incentive - but without the switch?

Thanks.
TR

You could ask TSB to open an account in you sole name, then transfer that. Most of the switches will ask you to have a pair of direct debits and some minimum payments too.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 25th, 2017, 12:55 pm

I actually have, arguably, three current acounts.

I am paid into one and monthly transfer money to the other two.
All have direct debits coming out of them.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 25th, 2017, 4:41 pm

Urbandreamer wrote:I actually have, arguably, three current acounts.

Arguably? Either they are or they aren't.

But if this is a wotsit measuring contest, I have eight :D

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Postby Urbandreamer » July 25th, 2017, 4:53 pm

mc2fool wrote:
Urbandreamer wrote:I actually have, arguably, three current acounts.

Arguably? Either they are or they aren't.

But if this is a wotsit measuring contest, I have eight :D

Some people might argue that only the account that you are paid into can be a current account. Others that if one is a joint account held with the spouse then that is the current account. Personally I view any account that a bank describes as a current acount to be a current account, but know that not everyone would agree with me. Such people have in the past been known to give either my wife or I funny looks if we admit to having personal current accounts into which our individual salarys go in addition to a joint account.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » July 29th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Personally I view any account that a bank describes as a current account to be a current account, but know that not everyone would agree with me.

I cannot imagine anybody NOT agreeing with you. Never heard this before. A current account is... what it is. Whether you use it and how you use it is up to you. The banks don't care as long as you keep lending them your money.

Such people have in the past been known to give either my wife or I funny looks if we admit to having personal current accounts into which our individual salaries go in addition to a joint account.

We have a similar situation but have never encountered any funny looks. Why would there be?

Are you sure that the funny look isn't just their natural expression or maybe they have trapped wind? :-)

Steve

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » September 11th, 2017, 5:43 pm

The TSB offer a current account paying 3% interest up to 1.5k and then pay two monthly £5 incentives to perform ordinary tasks. This adds up to £120 per year if you adhere to the T&C's. Nothing out of the ordinary is asked for and all very do-able. By my rough calcs this equates to approx 11% p/a. Then add the Tesco for another 3% up to 3k, then a Nationwide reg saver @5%. All with various and regular tasks to perform to achieve their offerings. A bit like those computer games except with real money. There was a halifax one for a fiver a month but now that is £3 if it even still exists.

Just cherries on the trees. Nothing big but still nice.

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » September 11th, 2017, 6:45 pm

There was a halifax one for a fiver a month but now that is £3 if it even still exists.

It does. It also offers a sort of cash back arrangement if you use your debit card at certain retailers. The offers only last for a period of time and the retailers change around and you have to 'opt in' to the offer but that only involves clicking on it while viewing your transactions. There is a current one from Tile Giant which is not a bit of use to me but I got a bit of cash back when they had a Waitrose offer as I do sometimes shop there.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”