Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

HSBC and the taxman

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
vagrantbrain
Lemon Slice

HSBC and the taxman

Postby vagrantbrain » September 7th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Has anybody else received a self-certification form from HSBC re. common reporting standards?

I'm surprised they really need me to write my name, address, and DOB on a piece of paper and physically take it to a branch given they already have that information.

dspp
Lemon Half

Re: HSBC and the taxman

Postby dspp » September 8th, 2017, 9:20 am

I do online banking with HSBC and I have recently had to complete a status form (UK citizen, UK based, etc). Or am I confusing that with one from III who are my brokerage. Or were there two ? It is definitely an area that is being rightly tightened up in my opinion.

regards, dspp

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » September 12th, 2017, 3:06 pm

HSBC were the subject of a MoneyBox programme at the weekend and they are getting it in the neck for closing business accounts without warning due to what they think are potentially money laundering activities - so maybe they are getting to know their customers better to help them to understand what is going on before they just close accounts? that would be sensible....

(My business account is with HSBC but I have almost no transactions let alone anything they could think was dodgy)

Mel

peter666

Postby peter666 » September 22nd, 2017, 10:03 am

I have had my business account with HSBC for five years (only a few transactions a month and nothing remotely suspicious). They sent me a very poorly worded letter with virtually no explanation requiring me to complete their "safeguarding" online questionnaire. This is a very poorly presented portal which requires you to enter your name and address about ten times. They say to use their Live Chat facility to ask if you have any problems but no agents available to answer. The final straw was that I need to upload certified copies of my passport and proof of address, despite me having taken these to my local branch when I opened the account. Time for a change I think.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”