Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Paertitioning off a kitchen

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
robbelg
Lemon Slice

Paertitioning off a kitchen

Postby robbelg » November 28th, 2018, 4:21 pm

I'm thinking about moving and buying a new flat.

However the vast majority I've seen (online only) are open plan kitchens, a layout I detest.

I've seen some that are very nice apart from this problem and it seems that in some of them it would be possible to partition off the kitchen while leaving a usable sized living room.

Does anyone think this is a practical option.

My thoughts so far:

Wouldn't need planning permission?

Would need permission from Freeholder/Management company? How difficult,likely/unlikely?
I would absolutely want this nailed down before exchanging contracts.

Just a simple partition wall & door, any building regulation complications?

I would want an extractor to outside not just a filter but is this an absolute necessity.

Likely wouldn't have a window. Is this a problem?

What haven't I thought of?

Is this a stupid idea and I should just keep looking until the right place turns up (I'm not under any time pressure)

All comments and suggestions welcome.

Rob

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Re: Paertitioning off a kitchen

Postby gbjbaanb » February 18th, 2019, 6:12 pm

robbelg wrote:I'm thinking about moving and buying a new flat.

However the vast majority I've seen (online only) are open plan kitchens, a layout I detest.

I've seen some that are very nice apart from this problem and it seems that in some of them it would be possible to partition off the kitchen while leaving a usable sized living room.

Rob

Its a great idea and I think everyone should do it before complaining to cheap-ass developers to do more than just stick a cooker in the corner of the flat and call it "open plan living".

search for "stud partiton wall" and you'll get lots of DIY tips to do it yourself, or £300 for a builder to put up a plain wall-to-wall with a door, double that if you need light switch and a light. I'd consider a sliding door though, many flats are small for a door and it'd block space behind it that could be used for a shelf or bins (or just have hippy bead curtains!)

Not sure of windows, but as bathrooms don't need them, I think you'd get away with it, you won't need ventilation - as you already need to have that in place for open-plan kitchens.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Re: Paertitioning off a kitchen

Postby Loup321 » February 19th, 2019, 10:41 am

Sorry to go off topic - I found bead curtains on the kitchen door an absolute nightmare. If you have two plates in your hands, you have nothing free to push the beads aside and you struggle with getting beads in the dinner and then all over your clothes and in your hair. I've even had beads splash in cups of tea if I was carrying two. If there is no door there now, there is probably no requirement for a door (blocking off sources of fire, or having the correct number of ventilated spaces between a bathroom and a kitchen). Leave it open if a door doesn't fit.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”