Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Rules for lighting in common areas

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
chas49
Lemon Quarter

Rules for lighting in common areas

Postby chas49 » November 28th, 2018, 5:25 pm

Looking for advice.. Daughter and boyfriend are renting a first-floor flat in a three storey block. Ground floor flats have their own entrances. Each first and second floor flat has a common entrance/stairway with a locked door, leading to stairs up to each flat (with their own front doors). There is a pushbutton timer switch just inside the common entrance and also outside the front doors of each flat. The light fittings are at the top of each flight of stairs.

On moving in a few weeks ago, daughter reported that these lights do not work. This was reported to the letting agent who said this was an urgent safety issue and would be dealt with ASAP. An electrician arrived and spent 90 minutes or so investigating.

The letting agent now says that the managing agents say there has never been any lighting installed by them, and the landlord of the flat says there is nothing installed by them. If daughter wants to install lighting she can pay to have it done but will have to have it disconnected when they move out, and use their metered supply.

Does anyone (especially LLs) have any advice on what is required in such situations?

llynaj

Re: Rules for lighting in common areas

Postby llynaj » November 28th, 2018, 8:09 pm

I would think it depends on where the flat is, and what it says in title deeds of property if anything.

In Edinburgh tenement stairs lighting has historically been the responsibility of the council. Maintenance of the system changing of light bulbs e.t.c. However owners of one property i own, recently paid to upgrade stair lighting, partly because the council is cost cutting. Therefore gradually handing over responsibility to owners where it is feasible to do so. As regards cost of electricity it is paid by council as is street lighting.

Hope this is of some help.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 29th, 2018, 10:02 am

llynaj wrote:I would think it depends on where the flat is, and what it says in title deeds of property if anything.

In Edinburgh tenement stairs lighting has historically been the responsibility of the council. Maintenance of the system changing of light bulbs e.t.c. However owners of one property i own, recently paid to upgrade stair lighting, partly because the council is cost cutting. Therefore gradually handing over responsibility to owners where it is feasible to do so. As regards cost of electricity it is paid by council as is street lighting.

Hope this is of some help.

Many thanks. Not in Scotland so I don't think the council are going to take responsibility for anything other than the street lighting :(

So far my Google research only brings up references to H&S at Work and emergency lighting. Really hoping for practical guidance on any requirements for lighting in common stairwells. Surely it can't be left to tenants to light the common areas?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 29th, 2018, 3:19 pm

chas49 wrote:So far my Google research only brings up references to H&S at Work and emergency lighting. Really hoping for practical guidance on any requirements for lighting in common stairwells. Surely it can't be left to tenants to light the common areas?

I didn't really follow your OP (probably my fault) but you seem to be saying there are stairwells, up to individual flats, but these stairwells are after a door before the stairs. If so, I say I may have misunderstood, what makes that stairwell common?

In any event, I've no practical knowledge but is the following of any help and/or would the local Fire Authority or Brigade be interested?:

Fire Safety Risk Assessment Guide (some 150 pages)
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ion_v2.pdf

It seems to cover:

This guide is for all employers, managers and owners of premises providing sleeping accommodation … The premises addressed in this guide include: … the common areas of flats and maisonettes;

Section 5 includes Further guidance on emergency escape lighting

One might also seek to enquire if the property is otherwise compliant with any applicable Fire Regulations.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » November 29th, 2018, 6:45 pm

Thanks for that link, I shall take a look. I think my OP may have been confusing. For the first and second floor flats, each pair has a common entrance and stairs going up to their separate front doors. It's these stairs that are unlit. It seems that the next door flats (same block) do have lighting so the Manco denial of responsibility seems strange.

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » November 29th, 2018, 8:45 pm

chas49 wrote:Thanks for that link, I shall take a look. I think my OP may have been confusing. For the first and second floor flats, each pair has a common entrance and stairs going up to their separate front doors. It's these stairs that are unlit. It seems that the next door flats (same block) do have lighting so the Manco denial of responsibility seems strange.

Emergency lighting by its very nature would need to be backed up by some sort of approved back up battery power in the event of a mains power cut, so hardly something tenants should be expected to sort out. Maybe it's the cost that is causing the denials of responsibility from the LL/MCo end?

Difficult to judge from a distance not seeing the actual situation but it sounds like BS to me.
Having just moved in they may not want to rock the boat too much but getting the council involved and possibly the fire brigade to do a premises inspection might make the LL/MCo wake up and smell the roses. Although TBF most professional MCo's do take their legal responsibilities seriously, so maybe there's some weird anomaly with this block? It does sound very strange.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”