Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Solicitor fraud

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
Mike4
Lemon Half

Solicitor fraud

Postby Mike4 » April 1st, 2017, 2:16 pm

I've just read (second hand) about a case on the TV program "Fake Britain", where a solicitor failed to pass on the funds to his client on sale of the client's house.

Apparently the buyer didn't end up owning the house despite paying for it. He lost the whole £465k (or some such amount) and got evicted from the house he thought he'd bought.

The point being that the buyer therefore carries the risk of fraud on the part of the seller's solicitor, a risk he has no control over. How can one protect oneself against this? The SRA claimed the solicitor was fake despite being registered with them, and declined to compensate the buyer.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Re: Solicitor fraud

Postby chas49 » April 1st, 2017, 2:26 pm

Mike4 wrote:I've just read (second hand) about a case on the TV program "Fake Britain", where a solicitor failed to pass on the funds to his client on sale of the client's house.

Apparently the buyer didn't end up owning the house despite paying for it. He lost the whole £465k (or some such amount) and got evicted from the house he thought he'd bought.

The point being that the buyer therefore carries the risk of fraud on the part of the seller's solicitor, a risk he has no control over. How can one protect oneself against this? The SRA claimed the solicitor was fake despite being registered with them, and declined to compensate the buyer.

I assume there wasn't really a client of the rogue solicitor/fraudster - the owner of the property didn't presumably know anything about the "sale" - hence no title passing.

If it was a real sale but the solicitor kept the money, wouldn't that be between the vendor and the solicitor?

(Might be worth an x-post on Legal Issues (Practical) to ask for responses over here?)

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Solicitor fraud

Postby PinkDalek » April 1st, 2017, 2:40 pm

Mike4 wrote:I've just read (second hand) about a case on the TV program "Fake Britain", where a solicitor failed to pass on the funds to his client on sale of the client's house.

Is this the case http://www.todaysconveyancer.co.uk/news ... aud-bill// involving Mishcon de Reya? If so it was a fake vendor who was impersonating the genuine owner.

I think Clitheroekid may well have discussed it elsewhere.

Found it, using the search function:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3335&p=32175&hilit=mishcon#p32175

Moderator Message:
Locking this topic here. Please use the reference link above for comments. Raptor.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”