Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0, for Donating to support the site

Planning permission in principle

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
sackofspuds
2 Lemon pips

Planning permission in principle

Postby sackofspuds » May 19th, 2024, 6:11 pm

I have a small plot of land (third of an acre) and want to get outline planning permission for a couple of bungalows before selling it. However, I note that there is a relatively new planning permission in principle:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permission-in-principle

I note it's a 2 stage process: the first stage (or permission in principle stage) establishes whether a site is suitable in-principle and the second (‘technical details consent’) stage is when the detailed development proposals are assessed.

Has anyone any experience of this? Might it be worth obtaining stage 1 and then selling? Stage 2 sounds rather like outline planning permission.

Am I right in thinking it hasn't really taken off?

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Re: Planning permission in principle

Postby Charlottesquare » Yesterday, 10:47 am

sackofspuds wrote:I have a small plot of land (third of an acre) and want to get outline planning permission for a couple of bungalows before selling it. However, I note that there is a relatively new planning permission in principle:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/permission-in-principle

I note it's a 2 stage process: the first stage (or permission in principle stage) establishes whether a site is suitable in-principle and the second (‘technical details consent’) stage is when the detailed development proposals are assessed.

Has anyone any experience of this? Might it be worth obtaining stage 1 and then selling? Stage 2 sounds rather like outline planning permission.

Am I right in thinking it hasn't really taken off?

Key is what your prospective buyers will want to have when he buys. (unless buys subject to planning in which case you end up in limbo land)

We have sold sites with detailed planning (usually buyers hate the house designs and adjust) and have sold sites with no planning as buyers are confident re what they can get (based on local area plan), however that is bigger sites (say 100-200 units), in your case consider who are your buyers, if say individuals considering self build you likely want planning as complete as possible.

sackofspuds
2 Lemon pips

Postby sackofspuds » Yesterday, 11:15 am

Thanks. I imagine the prospective buyer is a small developer. Would be an absolute max of 3 bungalows but with a high voltage power line going over part of the site then 2 might be more realistic.

One large house might also suit someone wanting to live in it themselves.

Planning permission is very likely to be granted since the adjacent plot was granted it and there's a house on the other side. It's fill in essentially.

Permission in principle seems very straightforward to apply for but is it actually worth much to a buyer? I'm sure an architect would tell me to go for outline planning permission but they would, wouldn't they?

Any ideas what an architect would charge?

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » Yesterday, 11:29 am

sackofspuds wrote:Thanks. I imagine the prospective buyer is a small developer. Would be an absolute max of 3 bungalows but with a high voltage power line going over part of the site then 2 might be more realistic.

One large house might also suit someone wanting to live in it themselves.

Planning permission is very likely to be granted since the adjacent plot was granted it and there's a house on the other side. It's fill in essentially.

Permission in principle seems very straightforward to apply for but is it actually worth much to a buyer? I'm sure an architect would tell me to go for outline planning permission but they would, wouldn't they?

Any ideas what an architect would charge?

Too much

Architect-definition- a person who wins awards using his/her client's money.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”