Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Tenant has removed smoke alarms

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Tenant has removed smoke alarms

Postby PinkDalek » July 23rd, 2017, 8:16 pm

Pipsmum wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:I guess I ought to check additionally that she hasn't removed the batteries, though?

If there is a fire then your insurance will be null and void if you don't ensure this matter is fully resolved forever. Is this tenant really worth that risk just for a fag and because you like her?

For the avoidance of doubt, those words above were not mine. The quoting system is tricky to handle when editing but what you've written should perhaps have shown:

bungeejumper wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:Purely out of interest, how did this progress?

... I guess I ought to check additionally that she hasn't removed the batteries, though?

BJ

That having been said, I did query the insurance position earlier in the thread when I said:

"Not that it helps as such and you may need to check what's included in your insurance policy.".

I placed the may in italics, as I didn't check what policies say about functioning smoke alarms in rented properties.

Do you or does anyone else have a easily available source (I realise I could search myself but BJ hasn't come back on the issue, so I'm not certain what his situation is, maybe even no insurance but somehow I doubt it)?

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » July 24th, 2017, 9:43 am

The solitary smoke alarm in my rented flat is hard wired into the mains lighting circuit. May be an idea? You can remove the whole detector unit from the mounting plate by turning , but an anti-tamper label may discourage that sort of thing. They do need to be removed occasionally to replace the back up 9V battery (which takes over if the mains fails) but this should be a rare occurrence unless you get frequent outages.

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » July 27th, 2017, 11:37 am

I think that in any commercial building a smoke alarm MUST be hard wired. Battery models are unacceptable.

touchnotthecat

Postby touchnotthecat » August 9th, 2017, 9:02 pm

Legislation requires you to have one smoke alarm on each floor of your property. I suggest you put the lower floor one in the hall and tell her all she needs to do is keep the room doors shut if she has been smoking to avoid setting it off. Worst case scenario replace it with a heat detector.
If you are installing a new one test it in front of hear and get her to sign something confirming it has been tested and its her responsibilty to test it regularly (e.g. monthly) and let you know if there is a problem.
Having said that be prepared to completely redecorate (possibly having to strip wallpaper and/or paint walls and ceilings with oil based paint) replace carpets and any furnishings when she leaves.
I had a very good tenant but a heavy smoker and when he left after about 4 years the smell took extreme measures to get rid of, tar was even ingrained in the grout of the kitchen and bathroom tiles!

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 9th, 2017, 10:40 pm

touchnotthecat wrote:Legislation requires you to have one smoke alarm on each floor of your property. ...

My reply here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5857#p61363 included:

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 have been approved by Parliament and will come into force as planned on 1 October 2015.

Private sector landlords are required from 1 October 2015 to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (eg a coal fire, wood burning stove). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each new tenancy.

My bold.

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”