Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

MANKS and Bialystock

Covering Market, Trends, and Practical (but see LEMON-AID for Building & DIY)
Greenfingers

MANKS and Bialystock

Postby Greenfingers » November 18th, 2016, 11:56 am

Arrrgh! The Fool decided it POETS day and closed early.

Will we ever get to know the punchline to Manks' tale of meeting Bialystock?

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Re: MANKS and Bialystock

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 18th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Look, the closure of TMF on a Thursday was announced in advance, so a promise to post on Friday could be taken as a humorous response.

Not only that, there's the very astute observation, that for a conversation that is supposed to have happened sometime in the past, where the closure of TMF was discussed, well, that's a paradox, seeing only two weeks notice of closure was given.

I'd not place too much reliance on all this.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 18th, 2016, 3:32 pm

I am notoriously gullible, but I hope you realise that Manks post was a 'signing-off now' last wind-up :)

IsleofWightPete
Lemon Pip

Postby IsleofWightPete » November 18th, 2016, 3:58 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Look, the closure of TMF on a Thursday was announced in advance, so a promise to post on Friday could be taken as a humorous response.

As I recall, a lot of the debate between Manks and Bialystock was about TIMING.
Particularly the point about claiming to have correctly called a market movement, when it did happen, but on a date different from the prediction.
I suspect Manks' humour was in having final dig at someone who, in his view, got his timings badly wrong.

James
Lemon Slice

Postby James » November 18th, 2016, 4:07 pm

I think Bialystock is still twitching curtains in Canary Wharf waiting for the price on his flatwatch property to fall back below 2002 levels.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 17th, 2017, 12:16 am

Didn't he initially pop up on TMF saying he'd just sold his five bedroom Notting Hill pile for £300k and that he'd be buying it back in six months for £150k, or something like that?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » February 17th, 2017, 7:45 am

Mike4 wrote:Didn't he initially pop up on TMF saying he'd just sold his five bedroom Notting Hill pile for £300k and that he'd be buying it back in six months for £150k, or something like that?

Not quite. He was always big on suggesting things, achievements, successes, but never said anything he could be pinned down on. So he alluded to living around Islington/Camden but was never more specific than that. Oh hang on, except that he held onto a position in Marconi shares as it progressively made it's way down the toilet into bankruptcy. With the famous cry of capitulation that he intended to 'take his share certificate and ram it down the chairman's throat'. And hang on v2, when he finally made his big call on the London market, and then the drip-drip slow-mo of the market defying him hehehe...

He was quite some troll, broadcasting for years from an e-fantasyland of his own making, but shrewd enough to never cross the line to getting himself banned. I wonder though how it worked out for anyone who took his investment suggestions at face value.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » February 17th, 2017, 10:38 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Didn't he initially pop up on TMF saying he'd just sold his five bedroom Notting Hill pile for £300k and that he'd be buying it back in six months for £150k, or something like that?

Not quite. He was always big on suggesting things, achievements, successes, but never said anything he could be pinned down on. So he alluded to living around Islington/Camden but was never more specific than that. Oh hang on, except that he held onto a position in Marconi shares as it progressively made it's way down the toilet into bankruptcy. With the famous cry of capitulation that he intended to 'take his share certificate and ram it down the chairman's throat'. And hang on v2, when he finally made his big call on the London market, and then the drip-drip slow-mo of the market defying him hehehe...

He was quite some troll, broadcasting for years from an e-fantasyland of his own making, but shrewd enough to never cross the line to getting himself banned. I wonder though how it worked out for anyone who took his investment suggestions at face value.

Good evening Mr Echo.

I'm reasonably sure that nice Mr Bialystock actually got himself banned for some quite long periods on TMF, several times over. And deservedly IMO. Wouldn't mind betting he is reading this too but he won't be replying out of pure embarassment. He and I used to agree on only one thing - that time will tell.

Anyway I had a message from you a month or three ago to which I failed to reply. My apologies, I simply can't find it. Wass it perhaps on TMF?!

All the best!
M4

Generali
2 Lemon pips

Postby Generali » February 18th, 2017, 10:03 am

DAK what happened to APD? He disappeared at just about the time that the front page of The Times started reading like one of his posts.

Was someone with his thumb positioned over the 'post' button ever found hanging from Blackfriars Bridge in late 2008 by any chance?

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » February 18th, 2017, 6:02 pm

Mike4 wrote:Good evening Mr Echo. ...
Anyway I had a message from you a month or three ago to which I failed to reply. My apologies, I simply can't find it. Wass it perhaps on TMF?! All the best! M4

Top'ole M4 :)
IIRC I tried to contact you [perhaps] via your own website? I don't recall what now, but presumably for some opinion re: boilers etc. Not to worry.
Cheers

Return to “Property Investment Discussions”