Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Swedish Death Cleaning

Making your money go further
Pipsmum
2 Lemon pips

Re: Swedish Death Cleaning

Postby Pipsmum » June 6th, 2018, 10:18 am

Must be a divine hint, but had one of this nice little clothes donation bags dropped through the door today. It is from Blesma, for Services amputees for their lifelong care. Now that's a cause worth giving all for instead of ebaying it. Much better.

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Pip

Postby TahiPanasDua » June 7th, 2018, 1:01 am

When we first moved abroad, we rented a self-storage unit in the UK for stuff we presumably thought was worth keeping for our return. After about 10 years we couldn't remember what was there, so gave instructions to dump the lot. A lesson was learned.

Continuing in the same vein, we lived and worked in 8 countries over 42 years. We learned to live with less and less stuff after each move and in the final 3 or 4 moves dispensed with the entire hassle of packing, selling, transporting, etc. We just more or less abandoned what we possessed and bought new at the next destination. This is undoubtedly an extreme approach but great for the mind at a very stressful time. It is not quite as expensive as it sounds once you have adopted a "no stuff" lifestyle.

A female colleague whose job required changing country every 3 years or so had a modest chest in which she transported all her gear which was judiciously limited to small items. She managed to make her houses look personal and homely using her small stuff. Very clever!

TP2 (retired intercontinental vagrant)

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2018, 8:50 am

I've got this problem at the moment, as I may be forced to leave my flat. Been getting rid of books etc but amazing how much I've accumulated in a one-bedroom flat. Current plan is to put stuff in storage 'now' but having trouble finding a self storage place in Reading that's fairly central. The one place near the station seems to have trouble with rats based on reviews. Yuck!

Pipsmum
2 Lemon pips

Postby Pipsmum » June 7th, 2018, 9:25 am

We had a storage unit once that cost £25 a month long ago. We had it for ages because it was out of sight, out of mind. When we came to move the stuff, the sofa we'd stored was so scabby, and had been free in the first place. We could have bought a new one for all the storage costs. Prevail on friends for a box or two here and there of the nitty gritty small items and only move the big stuff on the day. Unless you are disciplined enough to keep the storage unit only a short while, then it will stay there costing you as a junk 'lung'.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 7th, 2018, 10:06 am

Hopefully the storage costs will focus my mind on decluttering. Just wish I could press the 'pause' button on the rest of my life (which is mainly work) while I get things sorted.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”